VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    I've been having this same problem for several months...

A recent commercial DVD is protected, such that the older rippers won't work. So I rip it with DVD Fab HD Decrypter, which appears to work fine. Then I load the resulting rip into DVD Shrink to reauthor it with some editing. After burning the movie with ImgBurn, it takes a very long time to start playing on my standalone DVD players, 2-3 minutes or more. There isn't any such delay when playing it on my computer drives.

Looking at it on my computer drives, both Shrink and Power DVD indicate that the leader is only about 2-4 seconds. But that translates into 2-3 minutes or more when playing from a standalone DVD player.

So it appears that the start of movies ripped with DVD Fab HD Decrypter is corrupted. One way to fix it is to edit off a little bit of the startup. For example if it shows 4 seconds of blank video at the beginning with Shrink (typical), then cut it down to 1 second or less.

Another way to fix it is to rip the main movie (only) with DVD Fab HD Decrypter. In that case the startup leader is shorter. This appears to be a quirk of DVD Fab HD Decrypter. Unless one is patient, it would be easy to conclude that the rip failed. However I now realize that it's just a short corrupted section at the start of the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes, I've seen that before too, which is why I don't quite trust DVDFabHDDecrypter. Unreferenced junk at the very start of the main movie titleset is common for ARccOS. Fab doesn't always handle it correctly.

I don't suppose you tried running FixVTS on the rip before reauthoring? Anyway, as you say, lopping a little off the front will work. Just to clarify for others, set start frame, jump ahead a chapter and back up manually to about one second on the timeline. That usually does it.

What movie, BTW?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. JohnnyBob

you might address the issue with the developer of Fab. they are good about updates as you know. what they do NOT know they cannot fix.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    the movie involved this time was... "Hancock"

i may try to contact the DVD Fab authors, and suppose a link to this thread would suffice(?). i still have the faulty rip on my hard drive and can save it for awhile.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    followup...
    I let the DVD Fab crew know about the problem. Their only response was to try the latest version of their software.

Thanks also for the suggestion to try running VTISP on the DVD Fab rip. I'll try it next time this situation happens, but am not inclined to waste any discs to test theories. That means if it works, I may never know if VTISP fixed the problem, or DVD Fab has been updated to fix it. If I'm feeling less frugal, sometime, maybe I'll actually waste a blank DVD to test the theory. Of course if it doesn't work, then VTISP doesn't fix it. Very frugal here in these hard economic times, and normally a penny pincher anyway...

Again... the only time I've seen this problem is when using DVD Fab to rip the entire disc of a DVD9 movie, then I use DVD Shrink to reauthor, pulling out the main movie plus possibly some extras to make something that will fit on a DVD5 disc. I never shrink (compress) anything, only reauthor.

This problem does not happen if I keep the movie as a DVD9 disc (no reauthor), just doing minor editing with DVD Shrink. It also does not happen if I rip the Main Movie with DVD Fab, which I usually do if it would make it fit on a DVD5 disc, even though I reauthor those with DVD Shrink also.

So I'm not convinced that this problem is caused by any movie protection schemes such as ARccOS, although I'm far from an expert about such things. It may be that DVD Fab introduces the problem itself by the way they setup pointers in their finished rip. Their mistaken assumption may be that I will keep the DVD Fab rip intact and burn it as-is, in which case it might work OK. I don't know if that's true, because I ALWAYS process DVD Fab rips with DVD Shrink before burning -- to do some editing or reauthoring. That's my modus operandi which has served me well for a long time and I'm not inclined to change.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    johnnybob wrote,

"That's my modus operandi which has served me well for a long time and I'm not inclined to change."

I'm not here to persuade you to change your M.O... however have you tried the full version of DVDFab Platinum? It has a 30 day free trial...Plenty of time to see if it works for you or not... 8)
    I purchased Fab Plat,over a year ago after trying it out,and I still use DVDshrink from time to time and will never get rid of it,as it is an indispensable tool in my box...But sometimes ,you just have to bite the bullet,at least I did.....To each their own....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyBob
    I'll try it next time this situation happens, but am not inclined to waste any discs to test theories.
    That's why I have a couple of DVDRWs. If in any doubt that the fileset is perfect, I burn it to RW first and check it out on the DVD player and TV

I've used the same discs for about 2 years, gradually getting scratched up, but they still play.

Also many things I just want to watch once and and delete -- I really don't like watching video on my PC.
    Quote Quote