VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you prefer live music or studio recorded albums?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So do you like live music or studio recorded music from your favorite bands? Or how about live sessions recorded in a studio without an audience?

I like both. However I think first loves for songs would be studio tracks as that is the "first" version you're likely to hear. Then live tracks would depend on recording quality and how well the overall concert went (whether or not they were on top of their game).

Or if its a local band do you have to have live since they don't have enough to put together a studio album?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All of the above if the act is any good.

I also cap TV performances of singers I like.

Originally Posted by yoda313
    Or if its a local band do you have to have live since they don't have enough to put together a studio album?
    I find most local live bands have a "studio" CD but they are usually poorly produced.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends. How do the Jonas Brothers record?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I prefer studio recorded where they have the opportunity to repeat and mix it until they get it right. I hate "live" albums. Doesn't matter how good the band is. If I wanted to listen "live" I'd go to the damned show.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Studio-recorded albums, whenever possible.
    The saddening truth is, decently performed&&recorded "live music"
    is an exception, not the rule. Generally speaking, the artists do not care
    whether they happen to sing and play out-of-tune and out-of-time, as long as
    the crowds in front of them are given a "sound background" loud enough for
    satisfying their collective hysteria.

\\\\\\\\
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Midzuki
    Studio-recorded albums, whenever possible.
    The saddening truth is, decently performed&&recorded "live music"
    is an exception, not the rule. Generally speaking, the artists do not care
    whether they happen to sing and play out-of-tune and out-of-time, as long as
    the crowds in front of them are given a "sound background" loud enough for
    satisfying their collective hysteria.

\\\\\\\\
    I'm almost always disappointed by large venue music events. Waste of money. I prefer the small audience clubs where the "talent" usually give a decent performance.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For me, it depends on the band. Take Pink Floyd for example - they're great live, they're great in the studio, it doesn't really matter, they sound good no matter what.

Then you have bands that sound good in the studio and then when you see them live they play like 2-year-olds with broken hands. You listen to their live albums and think "What happened?"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I mostly prefer studio releases but my overall judgement of a group is how they reproduce it "live". I liked a lot of bands until I went to see them live and they couldn't produce the goods. Groups in the 70's were able to produce live better than today's groups IMO. Too much taped sections with lip-syncing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    \\\\\\\\[/quote]

I'm almost always disappointed by large venue music events. Waste of money. I prefer the small audience clubs where the "talent" usually give a decent performance.[/quote]

Yup ive never been to a large venue that was good, in fact ive been very dissapointed, mostly now go to smaller venues about 3000, but ive heard some good bands that where just as good live as the studio album.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How about those huge stadium shows with the big screens - only you're so far back that the speed of sound de-syncs the audio from the video. Oh, and nothing like the parking lot traffic after the show.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had to choose "prefer live stage recorded" since most of my favorite records were recorded live. But also some of my least favorite are recorded live. A good live performance that is well recorded has an energy that is never matched in the studio (good but dated example: Frampton Comes Alive). Unfortunately this combination (good performance/recording) seems rare, but when its there it's bliss.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TheFamilyMan
    I had to choose "prefer live stage recorded" since most of my favorite records were recorded live. But also some of my least favorite are recorded live. A good live performance that is well recorded has an energy that is never matched in the studio (good but dated example: Frampton Comes Alive). Unfortunately this combination (good performance/recording) seems rare, but when its there it's bliss.
    Black Sabbath's "Live Evil" was a nicely-done job, too.
    ( JMHO anyway ).

\\\
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While I generally prefer studio albums, it really depends on the band. Some are much better live.

If you look at Kiss Alive or Frampton Comes Alive, both bands sound better live than in the studio.

AC/DC's If You Want Blood, You've Got It or Deep Purple's Made In Japan are equal to any of their studio albums.

Aerosmith's Live Bootleg, to be frank, is a mess.

Some bands just have a different vibe live than in the studio. Led Zeppelin's improvisation journeys and The Who's powerchord bombast in a live setting are two such cases that come to mind.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I prefer studio recorded music because usually they sound better than the live ones which may contain foreign noises and whatnot. Also studio recordings have been "fixed" to make them sound like the band did better job performing the music. But there are some bands that are better live, like my parents' favorite bands Coldplay, Bruce Springsteen, Beach Boys, etc.
    Quote Quote