VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys.
    Sorry for bringing up this old Pal to NTSC conversion again.

I will greatly appreciate if somebody can help me with my problem.

I used this guide "Guide for extracting menus for editing, and reinserting edited menus"
    to convert PAL DVD to NTSC with all the menus and extras and everything worked fine, but one thing I can't figure out how to fix.
    After inserting buttons into new menu the sub layers not lining up (when highlighting button the highlighting text appears lower and slightly taller) because it still in 720x576 size

So the question is how I can convert the sublayer .sup file from the size 720x576 to 720x480? I use Muxman for remuxing.

Any ideas? [/url]
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can try it with the DVD Subtitle tools:
    http://web.quick.cz/FKasparek/Software/DVD/DVDSupTools.htm

Use the DVD Subtitle Decoder to get the BMPs, resize them to 720x480 and then use the DVD Subtitle Encoder to recreate the sup file from the resized images. I'm not sure if this works, as the DVD Subtitle tools are made for 'normal' subtitles and the sublayers are a little bit different.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by danfisherman
    So the question is how I can convert the sublayer .sup file from the size 720x576 to 720x480? I use Muxman for remuxing.

Any ideas? [/url]
    It's been awhile since I converted menus From PAL to NTSC. But the way I handled the subpictures was:

1) Use subrip to rip the subpic BMP's from the menus
    2) Used XNView to resize from PAL to NTSC resolution and save as a new BMP(NTSC) file
    3) And then I would open up notepad in the same folder where the NTSC BMP file is and use the following:
    Code:
    st_format	2
    Display_Start	forced
    TV_Type		NTSC
    Tape_Type	NON_DROP
    Pixel_Area	(2 479)
    Display_Area	(0 2 719 479)
    E2		(255 255 255 = = =)
    E1		(0 0 255 = = =)
    PA		(0 0 0 = = =)
    BG		(255 0 0 = = =)
    Directory	.
    Color		(1 1 1 1)
    Contrast	(0 0 0 0)
    1		00:00:00:00	00:01:00:00	SUB.bmp
    #
    Where SUB.bmp is the name of your NTSC BMP file. You may have to do a carriage return after the the .bmp file. Then I would save it as an .SST file(which muxman can open).

4) Use muxman to mux everything including your new .SST file. (after which you can now use vobblanker and pgcedit to complete the transition)

It's been awhile since I've done this so I may have missed something. But I was never able to find an easier way.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you guys for your help
    Unfortunately script didn't work. It looks like it can't locate the BMP file, it muxing but there is no sub picture in the menu at all.

I used DVDSubEdit instead of Subrip to get BMP file of sub pic, but I think it shouldn't make a difference right?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I do it exactly the same way:
    Code:
    st_format	2
    Display_Start	forced
    TV_Type		NTSC
    Tape_Type	NON_DROP
    Pixel_Area	(2 479)
    Display_Area	(0 2 719 479)
    E2		(255 255 255 = = =)
    E1		(0 0 255 = = =)
    PA		(0 0 0 = = =)
    BG		(255 0 0 = = =)
    Directory	.
    Color		(1 1 1 1)
    Contrast	(0 0 0 0)
    1		00:00:00:00	00:01:00:00	NTSCWide001.bmp
    #
    Check the Muxman.log (in the root of the C Drive) for clues as to why it didn't work. Is it 720x480? Is it 4-Bit (16 colors)? Is it named the same as in the SST file? Is the BMP in the same folder as the SST file?

DVDSubEdit is a good way to get the BMP. You checked the BMP, right, to make sure the text or icons are there? Sometimes I use DVDSubEdit and just get a solid colored BMP, if I don't do it right.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    DVDSubEdit is a good way to get the BMP. You checked the BMP, right, to make sure the text or icons are there? Sometimes I use DVDSubEdit and just get a solid colored BMP, if I don't do it right.
    I guess this just shows how long ago I did this as I never updated dvdsubedit and didn't know current versions of it can save the subics as BMP's. Although I tested on a PAL movie and I did get a solid color on the BMP. But when I used subrip it extracted correctly.

danfisherman: In addition to what manono said about finding about why it didn't work some other things to check out:

- In XNView (if you used it), during resizing for some reason only bilinear resizing worked for me and saving it as RLE compression.
    - During the muxman step, when you import the sst file it should show the filename on there if it reads it correctly. If it doesn't then no filename will show up, at least from the 2 versions of muxman I used. One last thing you could actually do to make sure it imported correctly is to save the project then open the mxp file in notepad and scroll down and look for Item=Sub-Picture Stream. If it is blank then it didn't import, if it shows the code as above then it imported.

But anyway the steps above are pretty much what to do in order to do this kind of conversion as I tried it on a PAL movie just now with success. One other step I didn't mention was I used ifoedit on the vts of the menu to change the menu attributes to NTSC and save.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have to ask, sorry,

Why are you doing this in the first place when certain dvd players will play the original on a NTSC TV?
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote