VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi folks, first time poster to this forum. I did a search for audio sync vista 64 on the site but couldn't find anything, so I'm posting.

Computer specs:
    Vista 64
    Core 2 Quad 2.8
    Nvidia 8500

Problem:
    I've been converting all my DVD and Blurays to mkv files under H264/AC3 format to view on my HTPC. The problem I am running into is that all the Bluray movies I make into H264/AC3 MKV files have serious audio sync issues when I watch them under Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic (32 or 64 bit editions) (Home Cinema). The only player they play properly in is in VLC, but VLC doesn't use hardware for the decoding so the video is sometimes very choppy. I only notice it on the Bluray rips. I did a bit of digging and found that this is a known issue under Vista 64 and 1080p files with AC3 audio and from what I gathered it has to do with Haali splitter still being 32 bit and having issues with the ffdshow filter.

So if I can't use MKV files on my computer for Bluray movies anymore, what other option could I use? MP4? But MP4 doesn't support AC3 5.1 surround files, and I can't seem to play AAC 5.1 files from my HTPC as it just gives horrible noise. So am I out of options until someone finally makes a 64 bit Haali splitter 5 years from now?

I can't downgrade to Vista 32 because it's just horribly unstable - it crashes all the time on my Home Theater app and when running the MSDE database for my dvd library. I guess I could live with MP4s and stereo AAC sound, so that might be what I end up with if there's no other feasible options.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried with ac3filter? Disable the ffdshows ac3 decoding.

Or maybe Mplayer / Smplayer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Store all M2TS/MKV/TS/TRP.... in your computer....

Get a M6500A or limHD310s and plays those file with it via - Network, USB2.0 transfer or FTP

Note: DATOptic.com, they will give a software to convert any DVD/BR to H264 codec (MKV, TS or TRP).

There are too many codecs and it's confusing
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

Baldrick: I disabled the ffdshow ac3 decoder and installed AC3filter. It doesn't seem to help at all I know it's working because I see it in the systray, but the sound continues to fall behind. I also downloaded and tried SMPlayer with the same result. It seems that as long as the player is using hardware decoding to play the 1080p H264 video in the mkv container, the audio continues to lag behind. Only the software renderer like VLC seems to get by this probably because it uses its own builtin decoder?

FireWire2: I wish I could just leave the m2ts files as they are but they're all 30 or 40+ GB files. Transformers alone is 43 GB, which is why I've run them through eac3to and MeGUI to get them down to 8GB files so I don't run out of disk space.

I just used Handbrake to run the H264/ac3 mkv file through into a MPEG-4(ffmpeg) instead of H264 and ac3 mkv file and it plays fine in everything. Reconverting 20+ Bluray movies is now gonna take a while and I'm gonna lose a noticeable amount of quality in the picture. I still don't understand what the issue with H264 at 1080p inside MKV files are, hopefully someone solves it in the future.
    Quote Quote