VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    As the subject suggests I have an XBox 360 and an HP X280N acting as extenders to a Vista Media Center PC in my garage. I would like to get to a single common format that will work for both devices. Wether it's from my DVD collection that I have ripped into VOBs (for XBMC in the past) or downloaded content, I'd like to have a single copy of my media and have it work no matter which extender I use to view it. So the main question is:

1. what encoding for both video and audio can I use that both devices will be able to watch in their extender mode?

requirements, assumptions, and other questions:
    - I'd like to maintain 5.1 audio if the source has it
    - Ignore storage space requirements.
    - Ignore re-encoding time (and even complexity for now as I can optimize that out later)
    - I don't want to have to run any other streaming service other than my vista media center. (plugins for it would be borderline and treated on a case by case basis.
    - I'd like to support HD formats (720p source is common and 1080p is there although rarer)

2. is there a difference mode for the xbox extender between stream and copy? As an extender, is it always playing the file as if from a file share, or is there any mode where vista media center streams?
    3. is there a good source for info on the x280n? a set of specialized forums maybe?
    4. if I can't get one format that supports HD, 5.1+, and both extenders, is there a single format for the next step down?
    5. Once a format is picked I have access to both a mac and pc so I should be able to re-encode my media. Any recommendations for software?

Thanks for any suggestions or help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wmv is about the only way to go.

You should be able to do wmv high def with 5.1. However I don't know if media center supports high def wmv. I'm sure it does I just never tested it (I have vista premium with media center and a 360 and have done standard def wmv a-ok (at the 320x240 zune resolution - stereo that is)).

EDIT - of coures you can stream just about anything with tversity as a server. Though it will take a little time for proper configuration. Check out the guides for more on tversity. The reason I mention wmv first is it is natively supported by the 360 and media center.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    will it also work on the hp x280n in extender mode? are there limits on bit rate or special audio?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The HP X280N will play WMV (according to Amazon.com), but whether or not it will handle HD VC-1 and WMA Pro 5.1 audio, I dont know.

Encode360 will convert just about anything to VC-1 with 5.1 audio (5.1 audio in CBR mode only), maybe you could convert a short video clip just to check.

Because it uses Windows Media Encoder, be prepared for a long wait...
    Quote Quote