VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all,

I have a file, with a .h264 video stream and an MP3 audio stream inside an MKV container.

I have a few seconds at the beginning of the video I want to cut out, its just some text which I dont want. Then at the end I have some credits which I dont want either and want to cut that out too.

I dont want to re-encode the video either, I tried with Virtual Dub and it didnt work too well (I actually placed the .h264 stream into an AVI container and used the "audio from other file" to get the MP3 track in as well as VD doesnt support any containers other than AVI).

I used keyframes to set the points as to where it must cut from and to. I then selected direct stream copy for both audio and video so it wont re-encode as it shouldnt need to?
    Then saved it as an AVI and when I played it back, it was just the audio playing, no video, was just black with the correct set resolution and the audio played.

I havent had a problem like this before, VD can handle H264 and I know H264 shouldnt really go into an AVI contaier, although I havent had a problem with it yet.

Soo, now my question is. What can I use to cut the beginning and ending from the file? I dont want to re-encode the video either and I need the audio to be cut at the same time so its not out of sync.
    Im sure there must be a program out there that allows you to easily do so? Changing it to an MP4 container shouldnt be much of a problem either if there is a program that will be able to do so yet doesnt like MKV and likes MP4 or whatever.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Hmm, I tried it earlier and it didnt work too well, the video was shown as plain green. Upgraded to the latest version and its fine now
    Although I selected the "non-safe mode". Im not sure what B-frames are. Ill try just now with the safe mode and see if I can notice any differene.

Thanks
    Quote Quote