VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have some xvids im running through mpeg4modifier to make compatiable with my media player, odd ones are coming up with pack/unpack greyed out anyway around this problem or do i need some different software. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. If they have no B frames there can be no packed bitstream. GSpot can tell you if they have B frames.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gspot indicates no Bframes, can i recode so that there are Bframes
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Many Divx/Xvid playback devices cannot play files that use packed bitstream. Re-encoding will only lessen the quality of your video file. Unless you have a really good reason for wanting to do this like maybe you have some weird media player that will not play Divx/Xvid unless it has packed bitstream, I have to wonder if it's really worth all this trouble.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have never heard of a player that can't play Divx/Xvid files with no B frames. You can only have packed bitstream if you have B frames. The only way you can add B frames to an existing video is to reencode it. Doing so will reduce the quality.

If your no-B-frame files don't play the problem probably doesn't have anything to do with the lack of B frames. It's more likely that the frame size is too large, the bitrate is too high, or the use of GMC or QPEL. All of those things will require reencoding.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if i need to re encode what program would be best for the job
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVI Recomp, Xvid4PSP, or if you want to get you hands dirty, VirtuaLdub.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote