VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having problems streaming a .VOB file onto my PS3, so here's what I'm doing:
    I have a:
    • PS3 80GB
      PC Laptop running Vista 64
    I'm using:
    • DVD Shrink to rip
      Nero MediaHome 4 to stream
    I'm streaming via ethernet cable.

I'm not having a problem streaming pictures, audio, and video files such as SVCD and some MPG2's, but when I go to stream a .vob the picture is always there, but sometimes there won't be any audio, i.e. I ripped 20 min. from Texas Chainsaw Massacre and streamed it to the PS3. I got A/V. I ripped one hour of the movie and still got A/V, I then ripped the entire movie minus the end credits and only got video. In comparison I ripped 20 min. of Event Horizon and only got video.

Now with any of these files if I rename the .vob .mpg and play them in WMP I'll get A/V.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm new to this and don't want a bunch of complicated stuff to do in order to get the .vob file to play off of my PS3's hard drive. If I need to convert it to another format then what should I use in order to get the best possible A/V?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try stream with the new PS3 Media Server.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't believe Nero really does much well anymore. Certainly all the comments about it's media server suggest it is pretty crappy in the PS3 forums. I am liking PS Media Server after initially trying TVersity. It holds the connection to the PS3 far better, and can stream 720p AVC with 640 5.1 AC3 over wireless G without stuttering. I couldn't get TVersity to do that nicely
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried the PS3 media server and love it, but the video is still doing the same thing

EDIT: I ripped the main movie using DVDFab 5 and it split the movie into 6 VOB files, but when I go to the files on my PS3 via the PS3 media server it shows only one file (all vob files together are 5.54gb) and says it is 94gb. BTW the A/V are working perfect this way, but the file is showing up a lot bigger than it actually is.

When I go to look at the files through Nero it is showing each individual file and they each have A/V that are correct. They also have the correct size per file displayed.

Can someone please help me out?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well as a test try running it through DVDShrink. In Preferences untick 'Split VOB files' and save it uncompressed. You'll now have one large VOB to try.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry if I was vague, but that's what I was doing with the movie in DVD Shrink. I was ripping them into one big .VOB file and that's when I wouldn't get a sound. It turns out if they're split up I do have sound.

I just downloaded Join VOB Files Tool and jouned the files together into one. The new vob file is the correct size and plays both A/V, but says the movie is only 46 min long. When I play it however the entire movie seems to be there and the seconds are counting correctly (not too fast) windows media player is doing the same thing after I name the file .mpg. If I fast forward it and then hit play it freezes. This is driving me nuts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you can play around with this little app to change format. Under Video resize keep it at original and adjust the audio.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=127298

Even Xvids can look good. If you choose the last Xvid profile the size is ignored, but the quality is very nice (a large file).

Try the x264 for a smaller file.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok will do, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like it wasn't ripped correctly in the first place, and this is causing the problems. DVD Shrink was only ever an OK ripper, not a great one, and any movie released in the last couple of years should be ripped with something newer (DVDFab HD Decrypter)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have always had the same problem playing vob files on my PS3 and in spite of everything
    I have tried, it is a mystery to me. Using a usb drive plugged into my PS3, I have used just about every
    program in my arsenal to have the PS3 play vob files. It will play some and not others. For example.
    A movie with 6 vobs, it will play A/V on some of the vobs for the others no audio. For an under 4gb movie and having it stored as 1 vob chances are it will be okay. For a larger movie, the first 4GB will show A/V the second vob will not have audio.

Yet, playing these on my computer programs, they play perfectly. Gspot shows audio.
    My Philips 5960 usb port will play them with audio but they will stutter because it only has a usb 1 port.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have the ifo files as well ?

VOBs on their own are not meant to be played. They should have the IFO files to tell the player what is in them and which stream is which. I have no problem streaming or playing VOB files that have IFO files on the PS3. I haven't tried playing VOBs on their own because, well, that is just stupid.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well as stupid as that may seem, the Usb port on the PS3 will play vobs but not DVDs. So it doesn't bother to look at the ifos. Most vobs will play with audio on the PS3 but, for some strange reason that I have not heard anyone explain, some of the vob files will not play with audio.When you go to the audio on the remote, it pops up as "no Audio"
    Yet that same vob file will play anywhere else with audio. The starter of this thread as well a myself was wondering why. And I guess we were wondering if there was a work around to this problem.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VOB2MPG. Again, VOB is not a good container for playback on it's own. VOB2MPG costs you nothing. The file is not re-encoded, so the quality is unchanged, and the file is slightly smaller.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote