VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an Oppo DV970 DVD player which after a bunch of fooling around I discover will not play MP4. It was a teaser because it opens an MP4 file on a thumb dive and flashes up a little video and quits. On a DVD only sound is produced.

I am a dangerous newbie when it comes to working with the contents of video containers but from what I understand to play this file I must convert it to something in an AVI container. If I understand the variable video bit rate is the issue. I have successfully converted with WINAVI to XviD but the video quality is degraded and the file is 3x the size, can this be avoided?

I have installed Mpeg StreamClip and Quicktime Alternative 1.8.1.0 but this will not run. I believe I followed the installation instructions correctly.

Any help with getting Mpeg StreamClip to run or a suitable alernative method would be appreciated.

Thanks, John.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use Xvid4psp for this! Just load the mp4 and and then just choose avi hardware under profile. If you want to specify a output file size then click on the E next to the video encoding and change encoding mode to 2-pass size.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or, if you want an alternative, just convert it to DvD format instead (MPEG-2). Although you will need a bit more bitrate than with using Xvid (but not 3x like before), but it will be playable on every DvD player out there - no need for AVI.

A simple tool that will do it all with your MP4 files is ConvertXtoDvD (not free though).
    MP4 -> MPEG-2/DvD -> Author -> Burn

I've never tried it, but I hear a similar free version is FAVC.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick and PuzZLeR. I have installed Xvid4psp which seems to be a little broken. Following Baldrick's instructions Xvid4psp opens the file, caches it and then presents an audio track window, after audio track selection the program presents a black window and hangs. However if I continue with encode the job seems to be done.

I updated dotnetfx3setup 3.0.4506.30 after its installation, should I have done this?

Any thoughts. John.
    Quote Quote