VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, hope somebody could suggest something here, because I'm all out of clues. (Probably in the wrong forum anyway!)

I recently was given an AWA STB262 HD set top box. I plugged it into the (analogue) TV today, via composite video cables.

Now we don't get good reception here at all. In fact, we only get one channel (for you Aussies- ABC). When I plugged the STB into the TV, it started an automatic scan. Nothing. Not even ABC.

However...

When I turned the box off, and back on, while it was booting up, we got super clear pictures. I changed the channel, and tried again, and got the same result. I tried all channels, and they all worked, albeit for only about three seconds as the STB booted, and then entered SCAN mode again.

I called AWA, but they weren't particularly helpful- "get a professional antenna man in".

What I don't understand is why my TV can't find these channels without the STB, and when the STB is plugged in, it can't find them either. Yet the antenna is obviously picking them up, the STB is just not keeping them!

Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Digital is not like analogue - you don't get a progressively poorer picture as your signal gets worse. Digital is either there, or it isn't.

When you run the scan, make sure you have the right region/area selected.

If you have an external antenna, get up on the roof and make sure the direction it is pointing in is correct for your area.

However the bottom line is that if you analogue is so poor you can't get the signals, digital won't change things for you. Get a professional in to put up a mast with a new antenna that has been correctly pointed at your signal source.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    given an AWA STB262 HD
    ... smells, lol

As for the other problems, it firstly depends how far out you are from the nearest broadcasting tower ... if your on the fringe area, you need to upgrade the antenna, preferably one designed for digital reception.

2nd is most people don't check regularly the connections from antenna to tv for issues ... booster box's I come across go straight into the bin ... not worth using until all other issues have been tested and confirmed ... and most are a waste of money ... garbage.

3rd is getting the antenna higher than nearby interference such as power lines in direct line of signal reception path.

4th, consider using the thicker coaxial cable between antenna to stb as this reduces signal degradation between devices ... about $2 per meter

Doing all this may help with analog signal reception increase but the cut off isn't far off so you better going with digital asap.

Now if after all this the awa unit keeps losing the signal ... as in what you said ... finds them on first boot then gone after 3 seconds ... take the unit back to where ever it came from and get a refund.

Buy the brand known as Strong ... rock solid
    Quote Quote