VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Today I burnt a DVD from a program I recorded using my Humax PVR 9200. It came off the freeview box as a .ts file and I used DVD Flick to burn it. However, the Audio is out of synch with the video and its very noticeable. Does anyone have any hints on how to fix this?

I'm using a Dell laptop with a 2Ghz Dual Core processor, 2Gb of RAM and 27Gb of free space on the hard drive. I didn't do anything else with the PC while it was working, although the wireless internet was connected. I was trying to burn the Dr Who Christmas special (1 hour long).

I'd appreciate any hints or suggestions...

Al.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you have DVDFlick convert and author, or simply author? If you had it convert (big no-no here), then that can introduce problems. If you only authored (which should have been extremely fast) and still have sync problems, then that's a bit mysterious, assuming that the source file has good sync (which you should verify by playing that original file). Depending on your answer, there are different next steps to take.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure whether it was set for authoring or converting - can't find an option to control that. It did take an hour and a half to burn the program, though. How do I set it to author only?

Thanks,
    Al.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The source file is (presumably) already in MPEG2, so only a minor file format change and authoring should be required to create a DVD. This should've taken minutes. The fact that it took over an hour means that you converted the video. Aside from the long time delay, this also degrades quality and can introduce bugs (like sync errors).

Just author, using something like GUI for DVDAuthor (free). If it complains about the .ts file, first try renaming it to .mpg. If that still gets rejected, run it through MPEGStreamclip (free) to change file format to .mpg. This does not involve re-encoding the video, so it will be very fast. Then take that output and author as DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    The source file is (presumably) already in MPEG2, so only a minor file format change and authoring should be required to create a DVD. This should've taken minutes. The fact that it took over an hour means that you converted the video. Aside from the long time delay, this also degrades quality and can introduce bugs (like sync errors).

Just author, using something like GUI for DVDAuthor (free). If it complains about the .ts file, first try renaming it to .mpg. If that still gets rejected, run it through MPEGStreamclip (free) to change file format to .mpg. This does not involve re-encoding the video, so it will be very fast. Then take that output and author as DVD.
    Thanks for that. I'm trying to use DVD Author, I have renamed my .ts file to .mpeg and loaded it in, bit it says that it cannot find navigation packets, and I should use elementary streams or use another multiplexer - what does this mean? If I ignore that and carry on to try and burn the DVD it complains that it can't find NeroCmd.exe - I don't have Nero installed, is that what it uses to burn the DVD?

Thanks.
    Al.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try AVStoDVD (free). By default it will not re-encode DVD compliant video/audio files. It also has a decent menu option if needed. It uses MuxMan.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MysticE
    Try AVStoDVD (free). By default it will not re-encode DVD compliant video/audio files. It also has a decent menu option if needed. It uses MuxMan.
    I have downloaded AVSToDVD and installed it, but it fails during the video encoding operation and says to read the log file - the only message in there that seems to resemble an error is:

PROCESS ABORTED DURING TITLE 1 VIDEO ENCODING OPERATIONS.

You mentioned that this uses muxman - I downloaded that and installed to 'C:\Program Files\MuxMan' but that didn't help. How does AVSToDVD know where to find MuxMan, if indeed that is the problem? I get the same problem whether I have the output set to Burn DVD or DVD Folder Structure.

I'm beginning to feel like a fish out of water with some of this stuff - its a bit of a minefield!

Thanks,

Al.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The problem isn't with Muxman as it's an authoring program and your abort occurred during the encoding phase.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    The problem isn't with Muxman as it's an authoring program and your abort occurred during the encoding phase.
    Ah, OK. Any ideas what could cause the abort with the encoding, then? The log file doesn't seem to tell me much...

Al.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD includes MuxMan there is no reason to install it separately.

You might want to try ConvertXtoDVD. There is free trial, but the result will be watermarked. It is completely self contained and requires no codec/filter fiddling.

Try it and see if the results suit you. The new version is very versatile and fast and works when others won't. The few dollars it cost may save you much time and aggravation.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by alhenderson
    I have downloaded AVSToDVD and installed it, but it fails during the video encoding operation and says to read the log file - the only message in there that seems to resemble an error is:

You mentioned that this uses muxman - I downloaded that and installed to 'C:\Program Files\MuxMan' but that didn't help. How does AVSToDVD know where to find MuxMan, if indeed that is the problem? I get the same problem whether I have the output set to Burn DVD or DVD Folder Structure.

I'm beginning to feel like a fish out of water with some of this stuff - its a bit of a minefield!

Thanks,

Al.
    Hi alhenderson and thanks for trying AVStoDVD.

The full log file would be very useful in understanding the video encoding issue. 2 basic questions:

1. What directshow codec have you installed (i.e. ffdshow)
    2. Have you installed AviSynth?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You didn't say whether you took my suggestion of using MPEG streamclip to convert .ts into .mpg. You seem to still be pursuing the encode-then-author path, which seems unnecessarily complex, and likely to lead to much flailing about.

Again, you shouldn't have to re-encode at all. Just author.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You didn't say whether you took my suggestion of using MPEG streamclip to convert .ts into .mpg. You seem to still be pursuing the encode-then-author path, which seems unnecessarily complex, and likely to lead to much flailing about.

I tried using MPEG StreamClip but it required me to install an alternate Quicktime on my PC or pay for an extra add on for Apple Quicktime - I wasn't too keen on uninstalling Apple Quicktime and and then installing the alternate so tried AVsToDVD instead. I haven't gone back to MPEG StreamClip since. Is it a problem if I don't install the quicktime alternate? I have Quicktime 7.55 installed..

Thanks, and happy new year!

Al.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _MrC_
    Originally Posted by alhenderson

Thanks,

Al.
    Hi alhenderson and thanks for trying AVStoDVD.

The full log file would be very useful in understanding the video encoding issue. 2 basic questions:

1. What directshow codec have you installed (i.e. ffdshow)
    2. Have you installed AviSynth?

Bye
    Thanks for your post - the full log file is below - any thoughts? As to your other questions, I haven't installed a directshow codec or AviSynth - I take it I need to??

Thanks,
    Al.

<31-12-2008 09:04:17>
    START PROCESS
    <>

DVD SETTINGS
    DVD Titles number: 1
    DVD Video Standard: PAL
    DVD Chapters Interval: 5 min
    DVD Menu: Static DVD Menu
    DVD Size: 2325/4435 MB (52%)
    DVD Output Setup: DVD Folder

Delete Temp Process Files: Yes
    Delete Working Files: Yes
    Edit Command Parameters: No
    Save Log file: Yes
    Output Folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents
    <>

TITLE 1 SOURCE FILES
    Video: C:\20081225 1800 Doctor Who.ts
    Info: MPEG-2 Video - 4966 kbps - 720x576 - DAR 1.778 - 25 fps - TFF - 1:02:00 hours - 93017 frames
    Audio: C:\20081225 1800 Doctor Who.ts
    Info: MPEG-1 Audio layer 2 - 256 kbps - CBR - 48000Hz - 2ch - 0 seconds
    Subs:
    [MediaInfoLib - v0.7.7.8]
    <>

AVISYNTH SCRIPT
    Import("C:\Program Files\AVStoDVD\Lib\A2DSource.avsi")

Video = A2DVideoSource("C:\20081225 1800 Doctor Who.ts", CacheFolder = "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp")
    Video = Video.ConvertToYV12
    Video = Video.Lanczos4Resize(720,576)

Audio = A2DAudioSource("C:\20081225 1800 Doctor Who.ts", CacheFolder = "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp")

AudioDub(Video, Audio)
    <>

START VIDEO DEMUXING OPERATIONS
    Target Video FileSize: 2202.8 MB
    ReJig Parameters: -level 100 -o "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\20081225 1800 Doctor Who_3_Title_01.m2v" -i "C:\20081225 1800 Doctor Who.ts" -auto -close
    <>

<31-12-2008 09:04:20>

CHECK LOG FILE <C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ADMINISTRATOR\MY DOCUMENTS\20081225 1800 DOCTOR WHO_3.LOG> FOR MORE INFO.
    <>

<31-12-2008 09:04:20>
    Log file created by AVStoDVD Release 2.1.2
    <>
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM

I tried using MPEG StreamClip but it required me to install an alternate Quicktime on my PC or pay for an extra add on for Apple Quicktime - I wasn't too keen on uninstalling Apple Quicktime and and then installing the alternate so tried AVsToDVD instead. I haven't gone back to MPEG StreamClip since. Is it a problem if I don't install the quicktime alternate? I have Quicktime 7.55 installed..

Al.
    The MPEG2 component is only needed for (re)encoding, which you do not have to do, so you may ignore any messages about that. Again, all you are asking MPEG Streamclip to do is to make a small change in the file format, not the video encoding itself. Streamclip will happily convert filetypes from .ts into .mpg very quickly, and without needing to pay for the MPEG2 component from Apple.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM

Al.
    The MPEG2 component is only needed for (re)encoding, which you do not have to do, so you may ignore any messages about that. Again, all you are asking MPEG Streamclip to do is to make a small change in the file format, not the video encoding itself. Streamclip will happily convert filetypes from .ts into .mpg very quickly, and without needing to pay for the MPEG2 component from Apple.
    Thanks very much for clearing that up - I have used MPEG Streamclip to convery my TS file to an MPG. However, Windows Media Player won't play it - reports an error downloading codec and then gives some bizarre message saying "The pin cannot use the supplied media type"! Is this normal? I don't want to play in on the PC, just wanted to see if the conversion had worked.

Also, this is probably a really dumb question, but its late - once I have the MPG, what should I use to burn to a DVD that can be read by my DVD player?

Thanks again,
    Al.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try playing it in VLC. I don't use Media player, so I have no idea what its messages mean. Perhaps others here can offer some insight. VLC is very forgiving and can play many things, so just being able to watch something with VLC is no guarantee that the file is spec-compliant. However, if it won't play in VLC, then you may reliably conclude that the file is no good.

After you have a DVD-compliant MPEG, then the next step is to author. That simply means constructing the appropriate file structure, any menus, etc. After authoring, then you burn. Imgburn is a popular program here for taking your authored files and then burning (and verifying). It is free and works very well.

There are many other programs that do similar things, although perhaps not as well. For example, Nero is often bundled with DVD burners. People do use it, but it is buggy and ugly (IMNHO).
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same aborting error. I'm completely new to the whole converting scene, and I downloaded FFDSHOW, but have no idea what to do with it. Here's the Log File.

<1/1/2009 10:40:13 PM>
    START PROCESS
    <>

DVD SETTINGS
    DVD Titles number: 2
    DVD Video Standard: NTSC
    DVD Chapters Interval: 5 min
    DVD Menu: Motion DVD Menu
    DVD Size: 1288/4435 MB (29%)
    DVD Output Setup: DVD Folder

Delete Temp Process Files: Yes
    Delete Working Files: Yes
    Edit Command Parameters: No
    Save Log file: Yes
    Output Folder: C:\Users\ME\Documents
    <>

TITLE 1 SOURCE FILES
    Video: C:\Users\ME\Videos\Scrubs My Bad Too 1.mp4
    Info: AVC - 500 kbps - 480x320 - DAR 1.5 - 29.97 fps - PPF - 10:31 minutes - 18912 frames
    Audio: C:\Users\ME\Videos\Scrubs My Bad Too 1.mp4
    Info: AAC LC - 125 kbps - VBR - 44100Hz - 2ch - 10:31 minutes
    Subs:
    [MediaInfoLib - v0.7.7.8]
    <>

AVISYNTH SCRIPT
    Import("C:\Program Files\AVStoDVD\Lib\A2DSource.avsi")

Video = A2DVideoSource("C:\Users\ME\Videos\Scrubs My Bad Too 1.mp4", CacheFolder = "C:\Users\ME\AppData\Local\Temp")
    Video = Video.ConvertToYV12
    Video = Video.AddBorders(0,20,0,20)
    Video = Video.Lanczos4Resize(720,480)

Audio = A2DAudioSource("C:\Users\ME\Videos\Scrubs My Bad Too 1.mp4", CacheFolder = "C:\Users\ME\AppData\Local\Temp")
    Audio = Audio.SSRC(48000)

AudioDub(Video, Audio)
    <>

START VIDEO ENCODING OPERATIONS
    Encoding Profile: QuEnc CBR 1-pass
    Target Video FileSize: 639.4 MB
    QuEnc Parameters: -i "C:\Users\ME\AppData\Local\Temp\DVD_7_Title_01_Scr ubs My Bad Too 1.avs" -o "C:\Users\ME\Documents\DVD_7_Title_01_Scrubs My Bad Too 1.m2v" -b 8500 -1 -hq -novbr -scene -trell -aspectratio 4:3 -nointerlaced -mpeg2mux noaudio -dc 10 -priority 5 -auto -close
    <>

<1/1/2009 10:40:16 PM>

CHECK LOG FILE <C:\USERS\ME\DOCUMENTS\DVD_7.LOG> FOR MORE INFO.
    <>

<1/1/2009 10:40:16 PM>
    Log file created by AVStoDVD Release 2.1.2
    <>

I replaced my name with the word ME
    Quote Quote  
  19. @goldeneye007662

since you are trying to convert a mp4 (matroska-like) file, you need also to install a proper splitter (i.e. Haali Media Splitter), that works with ffdshow like a charm. Then you can retry with AVStoDVD. You can also preview the output by clicking on the 'Preview Clip' icon in AVStoDVD. If preview works, then 99% encoding will work as well.

@alhenderson

you are on the right path: just load the mpg file (output of MPEG Streamclip) into AVStoDVD! About installation of AviSynth, if you have downloaded the "installer" version of AVStoDVD, AviSynth has been installed as well.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So could you please tell me how to do it? I have no idea and would really l;ike your help. How do I do it? I'm very new to this.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys for all your help here - I have just watched the DVD that I burned using your advice, and its absolutely fine I used MPEG streamclip to convert to MPEG and then AVsToDVD to burn on to the DVD.

Great result - thanks for all your help, and a happy new year!!

Al.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Congratulations on your success -- it's nice to see that persistence paid off!

Happy New Year!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by goldeneye007662
    So could you please tell me how to do it? I have no idea and would really l;ike your help. How do I do it? I'm very new to this.
    Do not panic. Simply follow these steps:

1. Download and install ffdshow
    2. Download and install Haali Media Splitter
    3. Run AVStoDVD and load the mp4 video file you want to convert to DVD
    4. Click on the 'magnifier glass' icon (on the right) to verify the output preview
    5. Click on 'Menu Editor' icon (on the toolbar) to setup the DVD Menu.
    6. Click on START

Let me know your progresses

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Congratulations on your success -- it's nice to see that persistence paid off!

Happy New Year!
    Thanks again, just need to start burning everything else on my hard drive now before I run out of space

Al.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _MrC_
    Originally Posted by goldeneye007662
    Do not panic. Simply follow these steps:

1. Download and install ffdshow
    2. Download and install Haali Media Splitter
    3. Run AVStoDVD and load the mp4 video file you want to convert to DVD
    4. Click on the 'magnifier glass' icon (on the right) to verify the output preview
    5. Click on 'Menu Editor' icon (on the toolbar) to setup the DVD Menu.
    6. Click on START

Let me know your progresses

Bye
    Ok. I downloaded both programs, and I've had AVStoDVD. I selected the files I wanted to burn, and I hit the magnifying glass on AVStoDVD, for a preview. I get a message reading ERROR 445 Object does not support this action. Now that I downloaded ffdshow and Haali Media Splitter, what do I do with them? I have no idea.

EDIT!

_MrC_
    Sorry, but I didn't use AVStoDVD. using DVDFlick, I was able to do everything. The audio is perfect too! Thanks guys for all the help.
    Quote Quote