VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, someone has some buying recommendations?
    I need a device that needs:

1 compatible with Vista 32 bit + XP
    2 usb 2 connexion to be used with a PC+notebook
    3 possibility for playback of sd-tapes & live-input Canon HV-30 camcorder when hooked on computer used for video-output tru Virtual DJ (video-mixing)
    4 capture facilities of external devices (HD-video also if possible)

thnx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stompinne
    possibility for playback of sd-tapes & live-input Canon HV-30 camcorder when hooked on computer used for video-output tru Virtual DJ (video-mixing)
    I'm not sure that is an ideal application for a usb capture device.

In order to use the best quality video from a dv or hd-dv camera you need to transfer the video via firewire. This is essentially a file transfer. I do not know if it would be possible to use firewire and a usb standard def input at the same time. It probably is but you might introduce dropped frames if you do both at the same time for realtime mixing.

If you just want generic standard video input support and over the air hd capture ability both pinnacle and hauppauge make usb devices that work well and are usually less than a 100.00 usd.

I think you might want to reithink your application of the mixing application. You can probably get just as good results if you capture the video seperately and then post process the video after it is captured. Then you can use the dv-avi or whatever format it's captured in with a nonlinear editing software like pinnacle studio or sony vegas or a number of other applications. Most of these programs allow for overlaying video and dubbing audio commentary and similar advanced features.

If you give a more detailed description of what you want in your final output of the video we might be able to direct you better.

There are firewire adapters that can accept multiple inputs I believe. Check into the canopus line of products for more information.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by yoda313
    Originally Posted by stompinne
    possibility for playback of sd-tapes & live-input Canon HV-30 camcorder when hooked on computer used for video-output tru Virtual DJ (video-mixing)
    I'm not sure that is an ideal application for a usb capture device.

In order to use the best quality video from a dv or hd-dv camera you need to transfer the video via firewire. This is essentially a file transfer. I do not know if it would be possible to use firewire and a usb standard def input at the same time. It probably is but you might introduce dropped frames if you do both at the same time for realtime mixing.

If you just want generic standard video input support and over the air hd capture ability both pinnacle and hauppauge make usb devices that work well and are usually less than a 100.00 usd.

I think you might want to reithink your application of the mixing application. You can probably get just as good results if you capture the video seperately and then post process the video after it is captured. Then you can use the dv-avi or whatever format it's captured in with a nonlinear editing software like pinnacle studio or sony vegas or a number of other applications. Most of these programs allow for overlaying video and dubbing audio commentary and similar advanced features.

If you give a more detailed description of what you want in your final output of the video we might be able to direct you better.

There are firewire adapters that can accept multiple inputs I believe. Check into the canopus line of products for more information.
    Thnx, for reply.
    I had a older pc with XP, which i used for audio/video-mixing live with 'virtual dj'.
    It had an cheap capture-card on board, older version of this one:
    http://www.tybotech.com/paginas/add-on/pdf/tv.pdf
    Hooked the analog output of a camcorder, into the capturecards analog inputs, so firewire or usb connections, as you say are not necassary. Then i started virtual dj, which has the ability in it to start the capture-card, and allowed me to display my camview tru vga-card output on a projector/screen.
    The old pc's mobo was broke, now i use a quadcore with vista on it, for mixing.
    Unfortunally the capturecard doesn't work on vista, so i need a new one.
    Quote Quote