VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a miniDV NTSC video in Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5.
    Someone on this board suggested that I use Debugmode Frameserver to get my video to virtualdub rather than encoding first with Premiere Pro.

So I am wanting to send my video to virtualdub or SUPER.

1.) When the debugmode frameserver box opens, do I choose RGB24, RGB32, or YUY2?

2.) For audio do I choose "write audio as PCM samples in signpost AVI"?

3.) I am going to let virtualdub or SUPER convert my videos. My final video size is to be 640x360 1:1 pixel aspect ratio. Do I specify the size and pixel aspect ratio in Premiere Pro? Or do I just leave the size as 720 x 480 1.2 pixel aspect ratio and then let virtualdub/SUPER do the resizing?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't know a lot about this frameserver but:
    virtualdub works with the RGB color space so pick RGB24 that's more than enough
    Then in Vdub you need to pick this very same Rgb depth color: video>color depth

For the audio you should, use the option yes :"write audio as PCM" or uncompressed if you prefer.

I suggest you use Mediacoder instead of Super, it's a better freeware in my opinion.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid4PSP beats both mediacoder and SUPER for the formats it supports
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You didn't mention what you want with your final format - Xvid, DivX, ... ? Then again, it doesn't matter much.

I used this same frameserver with exporting from VideoStudio - both VirtualDub and SUPER work flawlessly with it. The other apps mentioned are no doubt good tools, but I'm not too sure if they would be compatible with the special AVI generated. Definitely worth a try.
    My final video size is to be 640x360 1:1 pixel aspect ratio. Do I specify the size and pixel aspect ratio in Premiere Pro? Or do I just leave the size as 720 x 480 1.2 pixel aspect ratio and then let virtualdub/SUPER do the resizing?
    You're going to square pixels likely from a 16:9 source I'm assuming. I'd use the encoding app, particularly if you're using AVI as your final output. State no PAR and the app will assume square pixels (as is the assumption for AVI in general). As well, I'd use 352 instead of 360 since it's divisible by 16 (seems to be an issue with MPEG-4 ASP based formats). And if possible, use Lanczos Resize as a better quality filter IMO.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    My source is miniDV NTSC 720 x 480, 1.2 PAR, widescreen video.
    Final format will be H264 in either mp4 or avi 640 x 360, 1:1 PAR, 16:9 DAR for YouTube.

Why should I or why should I not check the "write audio as PCM samples in signpost AVI"?

Why should I use SUPER to resize my video rather than Premiere Pro?

What's up with the "divisible by 16"? I am not good at video. I noticed that when I used WinnFF, it also mentioned something about my video not being divisible by 16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Because of the way the image is broken down for encoding and maximum compression there are restrictions on the way you have to resize video. Some encoders will encode video that is resized to a number divisible by 2 or 4, but most a more comfortable with 8 or 16, and some only give the maximum quality when you use a number that is divisible by 16.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote