VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've had my camcorder (Subject) for about 3 years and have really enjoyed using it. It has low light (2) features, and time-lapse that I like to use from time to time. I like the menu layouts and just the general feel of it. The biggest negative is the built-in mike. It works fine, but for some of my projects not having an external mike has been a problem. I like the idea of tape, but it looks like that medium is about to become a relic.

In any case, while there's still time, maybe there's a step up to a mini-cartridge camcorder that provides a mike while keeping some of the same features. I tried a Canon mini-cart with an external mike on a cable. It was sort of OK, but limited by the length of the cable. I didn't have as much time to try the camcorder as I should have, but its feel was small and somewhat uncomfortable. The menu arrangement didn't catch my fancy, but maybe with more time it would have. It seemed to have fewer features than my Sony. I don't recall the model. I think there are three, and it was not the top of the line. Possibly some older cameras still linger somewhere? Comments?

I'm not too enamored with the newer camcorders. Compressed formats, DVD, HD, high price, etc. It seems like these newer models might, for editing and software (Vegas) purposes, might demand more CPU power. I'm barely to a point where I want to think about Vista, but I will. However, I don't think OSes are important to my thinking. Still hoping to a faster CPU every couple of years is not appealing.

I'm pretty much an amateur at video, but use Vegas and my camcorder for community and personal projects. It's a hobby, and not something I do a lot. I seem to do about one large project a year, an hour video, that require a lot of effort. I'll do a few maybe 30-60 minutes that require minimal effort, a few titles, re-arranging segment, cleaning up mistakes, editing, add a bit of music, etc. Maybe 1/2 dozen 3-5 minute efforts of special interest, Christmas, minor event.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If all you need is an external mic, go for a used upper range Digital8 or MiniDV.

Tape isn't dead. It gives you great quality and an instant backup. Tape stock is very cheap now online. Flash or HDD cams record with high compression codecs and present a backup problem. Lower quality, hard to edit and easy to lose.

You could get something like a Canon HV20/30 and shoot in DV mode. It has semi-pro external mic features. You just need a matching transformer to use XLR pro mics with long balanced cable runs.

Shure A96F
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Upper range? Meaning higher price? I agree on tape. I'd prefer tape.

I wouldn't think the Shure mike plugs into my present camcorder. Are you suggesting some sort of transformer to connect it to the internal mike? For the Canon HV20/30?

The Canon HV20/30 looks too advanced and too costly for my needs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by solarblast
    Upper range? Meaning higher price? I agree on tape. I'd prefer tape.

I wouldn't think the Shure mike plugs into my present camcorder. Are you suggesting some sort of transformer to connect it to the internal mike? For the Canon HV20/30?

The Canon HV20/30 looks too advanced and too costly for my needs.
    Upper range when they originally sold. Best Digital 8 cams where made 2001-2005. It was down hill from there. Look for 700-900 series*. Consumer MiniDV cams have declined in features and quality since 2006 although the canon Z series is good for 16:9.

I thought your only reason to change camcorders was you lacked an external mic jack. Maybe I misunderstood.

The Shure transformer allows use of long balanced low level mic cables and pro mics with a consumer level camcorder. The HV20 has been selling as low as $499. It has ability to switch off audio AGC so you can control mic level manually. Also has a peak audio meter in the viewfinder. Both are essential to good audio. It will also make far superior DV format pictures than your current cam.

You would use the transformer with the HV20 or another camcorder with an external mic jack.

Explain better the types of external mics you wish to use.

* none of these models will have switchable AGC or other semi-pro audio features but they probably will have an external mic jack.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I don't know very much about external mikes, so can't offer much there. Yes, it's mostly about a need for such devices. My need is not immediate, so I've got lots of time to think about it. I'll look into it as I can. Thanks for the info though. I sometimes have access to a Canon MiniDv with an external mike. I'll borrow it again some time, and actually try it out.
    Quote Quote