VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just received the Samsung HT-TZ315 for Xmas and tried attaching my external 400 GB HD to it to access my media files.

The player could read all files and was able to show the majority of the file name unlike my previous player the dvp 5960.

Anyway whilst the HD was still plugged in I switched to DVD playing mode and played a DVD. After leaving the device unattended for approx 5 mins, there was a popping sound and smoke started pouring out of the machine front and back.

I had to switch it off at the mains. The following day I was able to switch the device back on again to get my DVD out. This meant that it hadn't touched the fuse.

I called Samsung and they seemed to believe that it was the external HD that caused it to overheat. Now I have had other players with the USB host feature and have been able to use this HDD with no problems in the past.

At the time I wasn't even watching the media from my HDD. Has anyone else experienced this? or could anyone provide me with another possible explanation as to why this could have happened?

I have just had the unit replaced and i'm afraid to plug in the external HDD in case it happens again.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to assume that external HDD has it's own power supply as I doubt a player could supply enough power for the drive over a USB connection without causing some damage. It sounds like part of the power supply died in the Samsung. Maybe just a coincidence that the drive was plugged in. Or it's possible, but not likely, that the external HDD is wired wrong internally.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Redwuz,

Yeah the HDD has it's own power supply. OK, I guess the Samsung power supply could have died. I doubt the external HDD is wired wrong, as it works fine in my PS3 and my old Philips DVP 5960.

What I don't get is that
    * The fuse didn't blow
    * I was able to power it on the next day to remove the DVD from the disk tray.

I tested the replacement with the same external HDD and so far so good.

It really shook me up though because if it was left unattended for a longer period of time, who knows what damage it could have caused.

Thanks for responding.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sure its not just the Uber realistic sound issuing from your upgraded speaker system that has fooled you? As long as you have a replacement I wouldn't worry..
    From richer sounds, maybe?
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Fuses usually just protect the AC line coming into the player. There may not be any fuses on the low voltage outputs from the PS. The PS itself may shut down if the load is excessive. It doesn't take a lot of power to make a component smoke and burn. Maybe not enough to blow a line fuse.

But that's a one in a million problem, so hopefully you won't experience it again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My HTTZ315 stopped working after 4 months, i changed the fuse and it worked again for about 5 mintues and then broke again. I rang Samsung for a repair but I can't read the serial number on the box because it has brown tape over it, and as it was a gift I dont have the receipt, so without either they won't repair it. Does anyone have a serial number i could use for it so they will grant my repair?
    Quote Quote