VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I got a brand new still sealed VHS of a movie that has never been released on DVD and I wanted to transfer it to a DVD+R to preserve it and watch it from the disc instead of wearing out the VHS.

I have a video converter (which also removes copy protection) between my VCR & DVD recorder, and I've transferred some other "store bought" movies recently from VHS to DVD (used and new copies) with no problem, heads are clean on the VCR etc. but when I go to transfer this new tape it won't play properly because no matter what setting I try on the tracking control on the VHS it is either too fuzzy or won't give a picture/sound at all just flickers (depending on which VCR I use since I have three and tried them all with the same results. I tried the head cleaner again no problem there and still the problem continues. I just bought another VHS copy of the movie I got new/still sealed before in case there was a problem with the new/still sealed copy and the same thing happened. The playback on the VCR's are fine, same sounds, speeds etc. and I know the connections are OK since I'm getting the display menus for clock set up etc. fine, it is just the tracking I can't fix that is preventing me from copying this film.

Any suggestions on how I can get this done?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This are typically only two causes for these type of issues. The VCR or the tape itself. I would first start by connecting the player directly to a TV without the "converter" and see what happens. It's all a process of elimination. Obviously, if that works, it is your converter or recorder.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    This are typically only two causes for these type of issues. The VCR or the tape itself. I would first start by connecting the player directly to a TV without the "converter" and see what happens. It's all a process of elimination. Obviously, if that works, it is your converter or recorder.
    OK well after removing the converter from the equation, on one TV the same thing happens and on the other the tape won't play because the DVD recorder must be regonizing the tape as one that has copy protection (based on the message I get from when it won't continue any further).

That DVD recorder though is a combo VHS/DVD deck and it won't even play in the VHS part of that deck (as in, the tape is rolling as usual but won't display on the screen due to the apparent tracking issues, on that deck I just get the blue screen with the odd frame of the movie, the other deck, the VCR, does display the film but has the fuzzy stuff over the movie on the screen & no sound) so not sure what the issue is then (trying to do what you say in going with process of elimination on the troubleshooting that is I mean of course).

By the way, the message I got spoken of above regarding it not playing due to the copy protection was when I played it on the VCR hooked to the DVD/VHS combo, not trying to do straight/quick dubbing (in case you thought that's what I waq\s doing, I know I'l get that mesage if I tried to do it that way).

The TV in the other room is a separate VCR hooked to a DVD recorder deck.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are using the RF out from the VCR to the TV, check the output channel on the VCR. Should be a switch at the back of the VCR. If you have a local Channel 3 broadcaster, use channel 4, and channel 3 if you have a local channel 4 broadcaster. TV or recorder would be set to the same channel.

RCA output from VCR to TV or recorder would be preferable....this is most likely what you are doing since you are using a MV buster. If so, make sure you do not have input Vs output reversed at the MV box.

Other possibility is a commercial tape recorded in EP mode. I have several of these and they are practically unplayable on a 2005 Panasonic VCR. Almost all the newer VCRs and combo decks have tracking issues with EP tapes, especially home recorded ones.

LP speed tapes are unplayable on many VCRs, even some older ones.

This is a NTSC tape, correct?

If all else fails, take the tape somewhere else and try to play it straight from their VCR to their TV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes I have cable so I'm using the RCA's.

You're right though it's a LP tape, I guess it has to be since the movie is 150 minutes.

OK I'll see if I can find someone else that has a VCR i can use.
    Quote Quote  
  6. what is the movie in question.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by victoriabears
    what is the movie in question.
    City In Fear

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080540/

I've seen people selling DVD rips of this at ioffer, but I'd prefer to make them myself instead of having to have to buy films that way so...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Looks like a good movie I like David Jansen.

I always ofer to do stuff like this for free if you are interested, and you may find a dvd rip from someone else may actually be better than anything you can do
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by victoriabears
    Looks like a good movie I like David Jansen.

I always ofer to do stuff like this for free if you are interested, and you may find a dvd rip from someone else may actually be better than anything you can do
    Thanks I've e mailed you. Yeah, I probably will buy the rips if I have to but I know of many that have been ripped off that way but hopefully those on ioffer are OK.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would seriously look at the source. The original VHS may be the culprit. I know that I have purchased "Chiefs, 1983, miniseries" on VHS with varied results: 1 was a "Starmaker" video on ELP format (200 mins on a 120 min tape) and played like crap. 1 was a backup of the 2 tape version that played ok. 1 was the Aussie version (VHS transfer, but good original) that is the best.

Unless you're only running Sony VCRs, I'd question the original source. Especially if you picked it up at sell.com, ebay or ioffer. Amazon at least has a strict anti-piracy policy, and you can get a full refund.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LP is the most troublesome of the speeds.

You're right though it's a LP tape, I guess it has to be since the movie is 150 minutes.
    No it doesn't. It's obviously from some brand X supplier. Although a bit thin/fragile T160 VHS tapes were used quite frequently by the major studios.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by MysticE
    LP is the most troublesome of the speeds.

No it doesn't. It's obviously from some brand X supplier. Although a bit thin/fragile T160 VHS tapes were used quite frequently by the major studios.
    Well, Video Treasures probably isn't (or "wasn't" as it were) considered one of the biggest video distributors, I mean compared to the likes of Fox, MCA, Columbia, Warners, etc. so hard to say, I don't see any markings on the tape itself to say whether they used a T-120 or T-160.

Having said this, I did get it from Amazon for that reason, to ensure it was the real deal and after getting it and examining it, I can safely say it's not a pirate copy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Back in the old days when tape was expensive duplicators had many custom lengths: T90. T95, T100 etc. Saving even
    30¢ could amount to a big deal on on large runs.

Your best bet would be to find an old Panasonic or clone like Quasar.
    Quote Quote