VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have a movie in .mp4 format, which according to GSpot 2.70A has the following codecs:

Video: mp4v: MPEG-4 Video
    Audio: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC

Container:
    isom: MP4 Base Media v1 [IS0 14496-12:2003]
    - mp41: MP4 v1 [ISO 14496-1:ch13]

Now, I have a car DVD player that claims to play "MPEG-4 Video with multiaudio", I burned the .mp4 file with Nero as Data DVD but when I insert the disc in the Player I get a message that the disc is not recognized.

What am I doing wrong??

Thank you
    Alex
    AOPEN AX34, PIII 1.0 GHz, 1,5GB RAM, HD WD 120 GB, Pioneer DVR-116D, Plextor PX-716A, HIS Excalibur Radeon 9600, 256Mb, 2xMonitor Philips 109P20 Br Ethernet D-Link DE-828CT, Philips ToUCam Pro, WXP PRO SP3
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Google the player and see if anyone found the right codec, bitrate combination.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried already but cannot find even the player
    It is an mpman, but in their product list there are no car players

But is it so that it's usually done? I mean, burn the file straight as DVD data?

Alex
    AOPEN AX34, PIII 1.0 GHz, 1,5GB RAM, HD WD 120 GB, Pioneer DVR-116D, Plextor PX-716A, HIS Excalibur Radeon 9600, 256Mb, 2xMonitor Philips 109P20 Br Ethernet D-Link DE-828CT, Philips ToUCam Pro, WXP PRO SP3
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Metallo
    Tried already but cannot find even the player
    It is an mpman, but in their product list there are no car players

But is it so that it's usually done? I mean, burn the file straight as DVD data?

Alex
    These players tend to be very fussy about how the video is encoded. They generally require a specific resolution, frame rate, and bitrate range, to say nothing of the audio parameters. If the instruction manual does not provide this information, you are out of luck. If you have even one example of a playable file, then use GSpot on it, and make sure that all future encodes use those precise specs.

And yes, generally speaking, once you've gotten the video encoded properly, you burn the result as a standard data DVD. But again, without precise knowledge of that particular player's expectations, you can't be 100% certain.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It probably wants XviD or DivX AVI, and not MP4.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FYI just reencode it as a standard dvd and you will be able to play it.

Assuming of course that it plays recordable dvd's properly. Some portable players may have issues with some recordable brands.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    It probably wants XviD or DivX AVI, and not MP4.
    If DivX, the player ought to have the DivX logo on the front panel or some other visible location. It's a licensing requirement. Metallo: Is there any such marking on the unit? If there is, then you need to encode as DivX AVI.
    Quote Quote