VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This is a 3 part issue:

1) I need to capture an onscreen video for a tutorial for low tech users on the web, both PC and Mac. I have to assume many won't have plugins installed or even know what a plugin is

I am currently on a Mac Pro using Snapz Pro X (SPX) which allows me to record a portion of the screen AND reduce the size by percentage, e.g. a 800px wide selection, but set at 80%, which allows you to capture large physical images, but reduce them to fit on a webpage.

2) What would be the safest video format to cover as many PC and Mac users as possible?

3) SPX only outputs .mov files, which is not compatible with enough PC users, but I like the recording capabilities. So I've been trying various conversion programs. BUT.. all of them reduce my SPX files to 320x240 no matter what the original file size is. Since it happens over the 3 conversion apps I'm trying, I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with SPX's .mov output as I've tried several tests and all files whether 500 wide, 700 or even 1500px, they all end up at 320x240. And yes, I'm setting the file size in the Settings of each conversion app to the same size as the original. Doesn't matter each app ignores me and defaults to 320x240. Odd.

I've been messing with this for days now and losing my mind and am open to whatever it takes. Record from an XP machine, or whatever.

Lots of questions above, I know. Hopefully someone will take pity and help me see the light
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'd suggest MPEG-1. Both platforms should be able to play it. And 320 X 240 would be about the correct resolution for it.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would suggest flash, as it is painless to install, easy to automate the install, and cross platform. It also streams well, which mpeg-1 doesn't do. Mpeg-1 is also inefficient at higher resolutions. I am assuming that your final output won't 320 x 240.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.jingproject.com/

Both mac and windows, freeware, saves in swf (including audio), easy to convert later
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I need larger than 320x240. So that's the largest MPEG-1 does? I just dnld Jing. Cool interface! It isn't working with my iSight mic though. Maybe because I have Snapz Pros X running which is also an always on app?

Do you find that PC users have QT for Win installed?

The tutorial is how to use a CMS site we've built so the size of the vid is the actual website window, which means in order to put the tutorial on that same website, I have to reduce the physical size, which is really a cool feature of Snapz Pros X. But that only yields a .mov file.

If I go with Flash, what do you recommend to use to achieve a reduced but quality size? I have Adobe CS3 and have never opened Flash. Would I manipulate a movie file with it?

Or should I just go QT and stop the madness? Or will I have more madness when the client complains? Ugh...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1: Jing can do what ever size you need to use ... fix the mic, lol
    2: In general, pc users don't have qt installed
    3: Swf scale reduction should be minimal as the video will fit to browser window anyway, unless you implement a player window in the web page

In general, the websites ability to provide enough bandwidth for delivery of file's to multiple customers at once should be first most

Try at 800x600, generally the norm for those still using older screens ... a preview screening test for quality.
    If you have a lot of text, you might use higher resolution to retain font legibility in recording ... but it will still be scaled down in customers browser anyway.

A few applications can open swf and convert to avi which is easier to work with, then to resize avi back to swf > Pazera Free Video to Flash Converter

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/pazera-video-to-flash-converter/pazeravidtoflash.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Will try. The mic... it works fine. I'll disconnect SPX to see that's the issue. Since I don't see any prefs for audio source in Jing. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, is there a way to convert a .mov file to Flash? I've got 10 of my 15 tutorials done and would really like not to have to re-record them
    Quote Quote  
  9. tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All... iSkySoft Converter is a cool company. Their Support dept broke the MPEG-1 320x240 limitation for ME! How cool is THAT? Only prob is the quality is about a 8 on a 1-10. But still...

Anyway, decided to learn enuff Flash to be dangerous. Converted my .mov files with Adobe Flash Converter, then encoded with Adobe Flash. I couldn't figure out how to config the MediaConverter so it's the default, which isn't the end of the world.

here's a test:

http://midtownnoho.org/files/Documents/tutorials/test4.html

Thanks for pointing me in this direction and the support. If configuring the controller is easy and someone doesn't mind telling me, that would be cool. Otherwise I'll RTFM
    Quote Quote