VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I am new to Linux and video. Using Ubuntu 8.10 I want to create a video using one .JPG image and an MP3 file. I would also like to know how to use a changing series of JPG images as I have seen on Youtube.

I have been stepping into the world of FFMPEG and Kino but am not at all proficient. Any FFMPEG suggestions or tutorial links would be greatly appreciated.

Daka
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd check out dvd-slideshow. What you want to do is really easy with that. I'm on Ubuntu 8.10 too, and dvd-slideshow is in the repositories so you can install it easily. There is a known issue with dvd-slideshow and the version of ffmpeg used by ubuntu. Here is a link to a forum thread with the fix (pretty easy and worked for me). See the post by gerben1 for the fix.

Also, you mentioned Kino; If you like that I'd also check out avidemux. Like Kino it has a nice gui and features. Each has their own strengths.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did something similar to this when I made an SVCD of stills with audio commentary.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic134599.html

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but you can adapt it. Basically, you use mencoder to make an m2v of the video, then convert your mp3 to mp2. then use mplex to mux them together. The image will stay on the screen for the duration of the audio.

as far as an ffmpeg tutorial, I find the best one to be the manpage itself.

Code:
    man ffmpeg
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was recently thinking about another way to do this, and since this is a fairly common question I thought I would post this. A quick and dirty way to turn an image into moving video is to create a series of images (frame1.jpg, frame2.jpg... or even 1.jpg, 2.jpg, etc) and then use either ffmpeg or avidemux to read the stream of images into video. Since all of the frames will be the same, you can make copies or (better yet) symbolic links. The following script will allow you convert a single image into moving video for further manipulation by the tool of your choice (I like avidemux):
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    counter=1
    image1="0626092028.jpg"  #Change to the name of your image file.
    ext=".jpg"  #change to match the type of file set for image1 above if other than jpeg.
    audiotrack="soundtrack.mp3"  #Change to the name of the audio track you want to use

#create the video frames.  Change the loop value of 300 to one more than the number of frames you want to create.
    while (( counter < 300 ))
      do	
    	ln -s $image1 frame$counter$ext
    	counter=$(($counter+1))	 
      done

#Convert the created frames into a video file.
    #or remove all following lines and open frame1.jpg with avidemux and import the audio track separately.
    ffmpeg -r 29.97 -i frame%d$ext -i $audiotrack -vcodec ffv1 -acodec copy stilltovid.avi

#clean up the symbolic links
    while (( counter > 0 ))
      do
    	counter=$(($counter-1))
    	rm frame$counter$ext
      done
    I tested this on a 1600 x 1200 jpeg I took with my camera phone using a vbr mp3 I ripped from CD. If you wanted dvd video you would still want to do some conversion with avidemux or whatever your favorite tool is for this purpose, but since the -vcodec option is lossless and -acodec is copy you won't pay any price for doing this beyond the lossy conversion options you decide to use. Because I used a vbr mp3 avidemux needed to build a time map before it could work with it. However, from there I was able to select Auto/DVD and avidemux set up all of the codecs and filters needed to turn this to standard .vob file for use on a dvd.
    Quote Quote