VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi -Sorry if this is beating a dead horse - I HAVE looked around but can't seem find the answer I need.

I have an avi file with .srt subtitles. If I drop them both into VLC everything works fine.

However in ffmpegX I can't see them at all when I preview.

I am loading the avi, setting the output to DVD ffmpeg, and then loading the srt file in the filters tab. I have left everything else set to the defaults.

BUT when I preview the subtitles don't show up. I went ahead and encoded the file, which came out as a (title).avi.ff.avi file, but when I burned that to a DVD (using Toast) I was unable to select subtitles.

Any guesses?

f
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From the ffmpegx docs:

Load subs: This option allows to select a subtitle in text format, like a SubRip or a MicroDVD subtitle (.srt, .sub, .jss..) and to include it in the encoded movie. If you encode to DVD format (without "Decode with mplayer" option), then subtitles will be encoded as image-based DVD selectable subtitles. If you encode to SVCD/CVD/DVD with the "Decode with mplayer" option and the "Burn" option enabled, then subtitles will be "burned" in the image. If you encode to mencoder DivX/XviD/H264, then subtitles will be also "burned" in the image. You may use the "Preview" and "Play" buttons to preview the source movie with subtitles.

It sounds as if you need to NOT select "decode with mplayer" if your desire is to create a DVD with selectable subtitles.

Also, the output file seems odd to me. If you're encoding to DVD, then the output file should be an mpeg2 stream, so the extension should reflect that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply.

I have "Decode with Quicktime" checked, but still can't see the subtitles when I preview the file in "filter"...

Any other suggestions?

f
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does Preview show nothing, or does it show the video correctly (except for the lack of subs)? And did you watch a segment that actually has subs?

Also, what text encoding are you using? It's possible that you've selected an unsupported set, or it has some goofy properties that are preventing display.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It shows the video just fine - only problem is no subtitles.

As for encoding, I'm using the ISO-8859-1 (which I'm pretty sure was the default).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which "Preview" button were you hitting? In the "Filters" tab, there are two "Preview" buttons. One of them is right under the "Info" and "Play" buttons, while the other "Preview" button is in its own section called "Preview" (bottom right). It is the latter button that allows you to see the subtitle.
    Quote Quote