VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. First time poster. I came across an ad on craigslist for a JVC VCR that has a German plug. I've been looking for a PAL compatible vcr as I sometimes find PAL videos in thrift stores and the seller said it plays both PAL and NTSC formats. Is this true? Also, is there an adaptor for a german plug vcr to adapt to US type outlets?

The model is HR-J787AM

Is this a good product?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    European VCR's are able to play PAL and NTSC tapes....but can your television view a "hybrid" signal? The signal thrown out by this machine will not be a true NTSC signal....which is what the majority of American TV's require....a genuine NTSC signal....and you can also probably forget about recording this signal to a DVD Recorder....VERY few can record a quasi or hybrid signal.

Take it from a "Yank in Europe" who was collecting PAL material
    while still living in America.....what you are planning to do (view
    PAL VHS tapes in America) is not easy.
    Inexpensive, Multi-format VCR's are NOT the answer to your problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Moby2
    Hello. First time poster. I came across an ad on craigslist for a JVC VCR that has a German plug. I've been looking for a PAL compatible vcr as I sometimes find PAL videos in thrift stores and the seller said it plays both PAL and NTSC formats. Is this true? Also, is there an adaptor for a german plug vcr to adapt to US type outlets?

The model is HR-J787AM
    Rarely true. It is probably a PAL model. Most of those "play" PAL and NTSC but NTSC is remodulated to 4.43 PAL subcarrier @ 60hz to play on a PAL TV only. You would also need to buy a PAL TV.

Info is lacking over Google.

Some are switchable multi-standard. Those tend to be expensive.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just did some more research and found that you need to buy a PAL to NTSC signal converter as well. I'm thinking this idea of mine might get costly. I guess it probably doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money for the limited number of PAL tapes that might show up at second hand stores.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could use it to cap PAL tapes to a multi-standard computer capture card.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote