VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    I have been making videos but the problem is all the videos over 1 hour is 1gb or more. Is there anyway to reduce the video size down MB without losing any video quality or sound? Or is there a compressor that works great at making high quality videos? I just want to view the videos on my computer with a smaller memory size but the same quality.

    And my second question is What are the Best Audio and video compression tools that save videos with high quality video and sound but small in file size?
    And is a bit rate that is a making it turn out big and necessary ? Because my bit rate is unconstrained and if i was to record a 1 hour video it would be 700mb for video and 750mb for sound.

    PLEASE HELP!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is there anyway to reduce the video size down MB without losing any video quality or sound?
    If by "any" you really mean any, then no. All compression to a smaller size involves losing quality. How much you lose and whether it's noticeable to you or not depends on several factors, not least of which would be your video encoding skills.

    It's generally said these days that X/H.264 produces the best quality video if heavily compressed, and as MP4 with AAC audio it's hard to beat when you need a small size. I might recommend you try XviD4PSP to convert your videos to MP4 with a smaller size and see if you like the results.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Is there anyway to reduce the video size down MB without losing any video quality or sound?
    If by "any" you really mean any, then no. All compression to a smaller size involves losing quality. How much you lose and whether it's noticeable to you or not depends on several factors, not least of which would be your video encoding skills.

    It's generally said these days that X/H.264 produces the best quality video if heavily compressed, and as MP4 with AAC audio it's hard to beat when you need a small size. I might recommend you try XviD4PSP to convert your videos to MP4 with a smaller size and see if you like the results.
    But is their a codec or something that does this while I'm recording? And is it because my video has a unconstrained bit rate? I want to record future videos that have smaller sizes but great quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Since you haven't said what you're using to record and how, what format you're using, and what formats it supports, or much of anything else about that end of it, then how can I or anyone else even begin to answer that question? I was explaining how to reencode them for a lower file size.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Since you haven't said what you're using to record and how, what format you're using, and what formats it supports, or much of anything else about that end of it, then how can I or anyone else even begin to answer that question? I was explaining how to reencode them for a lower file size.

    The video that i have recorded is in wmv
    Duration: 2 hours and 30 minutes
    Bit rate : 3779kbps
    Dimensions : 484 x 520
    Size: 1.43 GB What is wrong with this that is making the file so big?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Location: Canada
    Search Comp PM
    These numbers don't add up! Bitrate must be a peak , but there's no way that a 2.5 hours video ( not even a 1.5 hour ) with a bitrate like that ends up with only 1.43GB.

    And beside you can't avoid the GB level if you have a video that's up to 1 hour or more. You want quality or not? Even h264/x264 need a minimum to store information, don't expect the "1 bit codec"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Starkian
    These numbers don't add up! Bitrate must be a peak , but there's no way that a 2.5 hours video ( not even a 1.5 hour ) with a bitrate like that ends up with only 1.43GB.
    i know.

    i have no plug in installed and i have no clue whats happening.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Location: Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Your video is 2.5 hours and with a file size of 1.43 GB?
    That would mean a bitrate of 1.3 Mbits/sec (video and audio) which is not that much even for x264/h264 and especially if you have motion/action scene.
    Cutting the filesize by 2 would mean a bitrate of 650kbits/sec and ,for me anyway, that's insane if you want quality.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Starkian
    Your video is 2.5 hours and with a file size of 1.43 GB?
    That would mean a bitrate of 1.3 Mbits/sec (video and audio) which is not that much even for x264/h264 and especially if you have motion/action scene.
    Cutting the filesize by 2 would mean a bitrate of 650kbits/sec and ,for me anyway, that's insane if you want quality.
    For 1 minute of video

    Bytes encoded: 4981.kb
    bytes expected :unconstrained
    bite rate: 656.87 kbps

    The video is unconstrained
    bytes encoded total : 1532.84kb

    Audio is also unconstrained
    bytes encoded total 3409.07kb

    And video is
    1013 KBPS
    and the size is 4.91 mb
    Quote Quote  
  10. Note that 2.5 hours of 484x520 video, at say, 29.97 fps (you didn't say what frame rate) saved as uncompressed YUY2 would be about 135 GB (without any audio). So your WMV video is already compressed by factor of nearly 100:1. You are not going to get more compression without significant loss of quality unless your video is a 2.5 hour still shot of a bowl of fruit.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Note that 2.5 hours of 484x520 video, at say, 29.97 fps (you didn't say what frame rate) saved as uncompressed YUY2 would be about 135 GB (without any audio). So your WMV video is already compressed by factor of nearly 100:1. You are not going to get more compression without significant loss of quality unless your video is a 2.5 hour still shot of a bowl of fruit.
    So what you're saying is, i have the video as low as it's going to get?

    So a unconstrained bit rate is not the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  12. What I'm saying is: further compressing your video will likely further reduce it's quality. Especially if you are looking to encode in real time while capturing.

    "Unconstrained bitrate" simply means the encoder will use as much or as little bitrate as it decides it needs at each frame.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads