VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, I've been having difficulty finding a working solution to a problem I have every now and again when I try to watch foreign language films on my PS3.

To give some background info first:

The source material are MKV files of Blu-Ray movies; i.e. h264 & AAC/DTS audio & subtitles

In order to get the MKV files into MP4 format for playback on my PS3, I've been following a process I picked up elsewhere online, steps of which are:
    • If MKV file is over 4GB, split into smaller files (for use on FAT32 external HDD) using MKVMergeGUI
      Extract Video/Audio from MKV using MKVExtractGUI
      If video is higher than level 4.1 - Recode .h264 file to level 4.1
      Covert AAC audio to AC3 using MEGui
      Convert DTS audio to AC3 using foobar2000
      Merge converted video & audio to MP4 file using YAMB.

The process above works like a treat for me, every converted file plays and there's no sync issues or any other problems. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any additional step using the apps above that will allow me to include subtitle files.

So far I have tried adding the .SRT to the files list in YAMB when recoding - however while this does include the subtitle as selectable when viewing the file on my PC using VLC Player, there is no subtitled displayed during playback on the PS3, and also the 'Subtitle On/Off' option in the PS3 doesn't display anything either.

I also tried using MEGui to add the subtitle to the processed YAMB file.. but the same result = no subtitles displayed on the PS3.

I'd appreciate if anyone could give me some pointers on this. Whether the subtitles are hardcoded (if that's the correct term) or selectable via the PS3 options - either is satisfactory for me. If this will involve recoding the .h264 file to include the text or something like that I'm not sure - hopefully someone will know.

Thanks all - if there is any more specific info I can provide to help out on this, let me know and I'll post what's needed.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The ps3 does not support switchable subs in mp4 so you have to reconvert and add hardcoded subtitles using for example mkv2vob or xvid4psp(in xvid4psp load mkv and subtitle file, choose the mp4 ps3 profile and convert).

Or maybe you can make an avchd withs subtitles from the mkv using tsmuxer, but I don't know how to apply the subtitles though.

Or just play your original blu-ray movie.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    xvid4psp - I will give this a try, thank you
    Quote Quote