VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have converted about 100 .mts files into .avi using this batch file:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic347139.html

But I now want to join all those 100 files into one .avi file.

I have tried using VirtualDub, but I get this error message when I try to open my files with it:

"Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'xvid' (unknown)"
    "VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (FVW) compatible codec to decompress video."

Is there anyway to fix that?

I have also tried using a software called Avi Joiner 1.0, but all that does is create a file that cannot be played. It does join files when I do 2-3 files, but when I try to join more than that it produces a corrupted file...

How can I join these files together?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have the Xvid codec installed? I would try that first. I'm most familiar with VD. As long as your AVIs are numbered sequentially, and 'Automatically load linked segments' is checked at the bottom of the page, it should work automatically.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the latest K-Lite Codec Full pack installed and just now I installed xvid codec separately, but I'm still getting the same error. "Automatically load linked segments" is checked. I can open other files in VD, but not these AVIs for some reason...

What should I do?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Managed to figure it out by myself. Xvid decoder was disabled in ffdshow VFW Interface. Changed it to xvid and it works now...

Will try to join these files now...

--edit--
    It works fine, but is there anyway I can add more than 1 file at a time? Coz adding 100 files one by one will take ages...

--edit again--
    I think I figured it out again. When u add the 2nd file u get an option to "Autodetect additional segments by filename". So all I have to do is rename all those 100 files using app like Bulk Rename Utility and VD should add all 100 files automatically, right?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds right. I haven't done that for a while. All of the video needs to be the same format and specification and numbered sequentially.

BTW, just about everyone here advises strongly against using the K-Lite or other codec packs because all the problems and damages they can cause to a system and existing codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have the XviD codec installed then you don't need to enable in ffdshow. Something is screwing up the XviD codec.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I managed to join all 100 files together, but the audio at the end got out of sync. I found another guide how to fix that using Interleaving and I think it did the job...

I always thought that K-Lite Codec was the best option. I have used it for a few years now and had no problems at all, but thinking about it, I have never encoded any videos myself...

So what would be the best option for codecs? Install each codec one by one separately? Can u advise me what codecs I need?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the best option is to install only the codecs you need, as you need them. If you are encoding, then you know what you need. If you are decoding, use Mediainfo or g-spot to tell you what file uses, and then install just those codecs.

If you need a general purpose playback codec you have a couple of choices. You can use a player like VLC or The KM Player that have most codecs you need already built in. Only they can use them, but they are good players anyway, and make life much easier. If you are wedded to WMP (yuck), or Media Player Classic, then FFDShow will get most things playing.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, thanks a lot for the advice, guns1inger. I will give it a go and try installing codecs separately, although installing just one bundle sounds a lot easier...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wrote a program that joins mts files together. Several people have used it and report that there are no dropped frames and that the output is flawless. I do a binary copy from the source .mts files to a new file. It's quick and easy to use. Here's the link:

https://sites.google.com/site/mtsfilejoiner/
    Hopelessly lost, but making good time!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID' (unknown)
    Big Problem:
    It gives me the error code:
    VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable."
    and I already installed some codecs that I thought were going to work.
    Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID' (unknown)

Quick fix:

because fourcc is "xvid" not "XVID"
    change "xvid" in "XVID" and works
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What Xvid codec did you install ? If you install the one from the Tools section on this site, you should have no problems.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote