VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a copy of an old VHS movie from the late 70s that I made a copy of the original. I probably made the copy in the 80s with typical VCR equipment despite the fact it apparently was copyright protected. I tried copying mine to DVD yesterday with my new "Panasonic DMR-EZ485VK 1080p Upconverting DVD Recorder / VCR Combo with Built In Tuner". It objected because of the copyright protection. Strange, since I was able to do this w/o any difficulty back in the 80s w/o any unusual equipment. Is it possible to get around this problem easily? Comments?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Weird. Probably the old recorder let you do that only because who could afford two VCR's back then. My parents didn't get one until the early 90's.

Even back in Germany at the PX they seemed pretty expensive to me.
    Then again tapes where $19.95 and up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A friend purchased the first VHS release of The Day of the Earth Stood Still for $80.

The short copy I have is 45 minutes long and I see a copy is "available" (protected?) on Amazon for $150. No thanks. Too bad.

It celebrates the early history of aviation in a very humorous way. Maybe I can copy it into Vegas and snip off some early part to get around the copyright.
    Quote Quote  
  4. That's sounds about right because they didn't add copyprotection until 1985,by 1990 most titles had it.
    I would try to find a Sima video corrector on eBay,they are no longer made because of the powers that be.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it costs about $1.00, I'd be interested. I think the video is to be lost to history. Maybe Rhino will pick up on it. I did see the availability of the 60s series Bell Science make a come back. The episodes are now on Amazon. Maybe I'll contact our local (Sacramento) film critique and see if she might be able to pump up some interest in the video. At least, I can still enjoy it on my VCR.

Actually, a friend has something like the device you mention. I may be able to get him to record it on DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need a Sima GoDVD. The older Simas like the Copymaster don't work for converting VHS to DVD. Designed for VHS to VHS dubs, they left the copy protection on while making it invisible to the human eye (no dark to light but the Macrovision signal was still there).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll check with my friend.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Solarblast

The CP is Analog Macrovisionn and many recorders today will not even play them and some players will not play a disk burned in n a PC or other recorder
    The sites ginen list the program wanted at a good price aare already in DVD format and will playl

http://cgi.ebay.com/Michael-Rennie-The-Day-the-Earth-Stood-Still-1951-DVD_W0QQitemZ120...3A1%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Day-the-Earth-Stood-Still-1951-DVD_W0QQitemZ140285761717QQcmdZ...3A1%7C294%3A50
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CP? What does the Day the Earth Stood Still have to do with this?
    Quote Quote  
  10. What is the movie referenced by the original poster?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can buy a restored version of the original film for a damn site less than a Sima and get all the extras. Hardly seems worth the effort to transfer a sub-standard quality version. Just my 2 cents.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I never mentioned the movie name. It's called Gizmo. Produced in the 70s. It's for sale on Amazon for $150. If you can find it for $20 or less, let me know. If you or anyone can find it in a library, I'd suggest you borrow it and watch it. It's very funny and well made from news clips of the early 1900s.

It deserves to be saved.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Produced by Warner Bros. If you missed my comments above, it's about early aviation.
    Quote Quote