VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've downloaded a bunch of movies that are in WMV format. I want to convert them so I can burn them (nero) on a dvd (data) and play them on my DivX. I tried a program called "Super" which it's not...LOL. Any freeware out there that I can do this with?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try the very simple DivX Converter or WinFF and convert to DivX or Xvid AVI.

edit: Changed to divx/xvid converters...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick - I think this is a very badly worded request asking how to convert WMV to Divx.

ez2cy - If I am right, please try to be more explicit in the future. Our Guides section suggests various tools that can do this, but you might try AutoGK which is free. Personally I like Dr. Divx for this kind of thing, but if you don't buy the Divx codec to use with it, Dr. Divx does restrict you to lower quality output.

Finally, I suggest that you look at this sticky
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic352457.html
    It lists encoding options that may be problems for playback on DVD players that support Divx. You should avoid all of these things if you want to be sure that your Divx files will play.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LOL How much more explicit can I get. Need to convert a WMV file so that I can burn it using (nero) so it plays on a DivX. Not more to the point than that
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have had major problems with WMV conversions to Xvid/Divx (audio out of sync being the worst, or poor quality). The only tool that I've found that does the trick successfully is not free, but worth the samll price: imToo Mpeg Encoder. Don't let the name fool you. It converts WMV using Directshow filters to Divx and does an excellent job. Smooth playback, excellent quality, and audio in sync. i would suggest the prior version to what is being sold now (current is v5, but get v3 which is still available). The key to WMV conversion is using Directshow. At least thats what I've found and I've tried a bunch of tools.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ez2cy
    LOL How much more explicit can I get. Need to convert a WMV file so that I can burn it using (nero) so it plays on a DivX. Not more to the point than that
    Well, posting in complete sentences and not leaving out words would be helpful to start. And by the way, there's no such thing as "a DivX".
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does Sony, Panasonic, JVC and Sharp know there's no such thing as a DivX? I have one of each in my house. They ripped me off!
    Quote Quote  
  8. ez2cy - I think you should have said that you want to create a DVD data disc that can be played on a DivX capable DVD player. jman98 is right, there is no such thing as "a DivX" - but there are many different DVD Players that will playback DivX files.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I apoligize for calling something a DivX when that's what is written on the front of the player. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...LOL I'm still lost as to what anyone means when they say there is no such thing as DivX when I see the term or word used all over the place. Got me. Problem is, I'm not a computer or technical guru, I just say or write what I see. The machine says DivX, therefore to me, it's a DivX.

I also apoligize if my post was not clear. To me it was. Guess I was wrong.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW: The Philips DVP5992 DVD player now plays WMV 9 files (sd resolution) directly from data DVD or USB Flash or USB2 hard drive (formatted FAT32). I got mine for $49.99 at Costco and am buying 3 more for Christmas gifts.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    FWIW: The Philips DVP5992 DVD player now plays WMV 9 files (sd resolution) directly from data DVD or USB Flash or USB2 hard drive (formatted FAT32). I got mine for $49.99 at Costco and am buying 3 more for Christmas gifts.
    The problem is that over 90% of the WMV files on my computer are either WMV1 or WMV2. Would be nice if there was a quick and easy way to convert WMV 1 and 2 to WMV3 but there isn't. Not sure why these players won't play WMV 1 or 2. Isn't WMV9 supposed to be capable of decoding 1 and 2?

Converting to DivX or Xvid takes a long time. re-encoding from WMV1 or 2 to WMV3 takes even longer (I've only found one program that will even do it) and makes no sense to even try since it's one super lossy compression to another.

Converting to mpg with TMPGEnc seems to be the quickest and easist way to convert WMV and I don't get any sync issues this way. Converting to DivX or XviD is hit or miss since most WMV files are VFR. MPG files will be bigger than WMV, XviD or DivX.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    THanks edDV but our cost in Canada would be much higher and I'm not prepared to replace four DVD players in the house...LOL

Darrells, maybe you can help me with this. I downloaded a s/w called "Super C". I can encode them to MPG and burn them, get video but no sound. The choices I have for the audio are, "AC3" "MP2" or MP3, do any of those audio's work for the DivX DVD Player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WMV 9 goes back to 2003 and is the only one worth a damn for TV watching.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ez2cy
    THanks edDV but our cost in Canada would be much higher and I'm not prepared to replace four DVD players in the house...LOL

Darrells, maybe you can help me with this. I downloaded a s/w called "Super C". I can encode them to MPG and burn them, get video but no sound. The choices I have for the audio are, "AC3" "MP2" or MP3, do any of those audio's work for the DivX DVD Player?
    I tried Super a couple of years ago since a lot of people were talking about it but I couldn't get it to do anything. all the audio that you listed should play in a divx player (you never did mention which player you have).

Like I said. the easiest way I've found to convert WMV and keep the files in sync is using TMPGEnc. There is a free version that works fine. You may have to drag and drop the files to get it to work. I'm not sure if it will open the files directly. You can try to convert to AVI instead of mpg if you want. TMPGEnc does a lot better job of keeping the files in sync than any AVI editor I've tried.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WMV 9 goes back to 2003 and is the only one worth a damn for TV watching.
    I found my secret drive which has a bunch of WMV9 but the problem with a lot of those files are that they have WMA9 professional audio which most players that play WMV9 will not play.

Half the files that I've downloaded are from people who don't know how to encode WMV. They just convert an AVI that they have to WMV and almost all of those converters convert to either WMV1 or WMV2. I have a bunch of WMV2 files that are 720x480 and look pretty good on my PC but I have to convert to AVI or MPG if I want to watch them on my TV.

I have both the Philips 5990 and the WD MyHD media player and both players refuse to play the audio in half of my WMV9 files. They'll play WMA7 and WMA8 audio but not WMA9 Professional.

Since there are millions of WMV 1 and WMV2 files floating around or WMV9 files with 5.1 audio you'd think someone would have a simple converter that would create a WMV file with specs that will play on these media players that claim to play WMV files or better yet, that those players would have a decoder that could decode all WMV files. I know that almost everyone who bought the 5990 was because of WMV support and at least half of the WD buyers did for the same reason. You'd think both of these players would offer better WMV support.

Windows Media 1080p or 720p VC-1 is the only one truely worth watching on a big screen TV and although the WD will play them (the 5990 won't), it won't play the audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most of my WMV's were converted from dvr-ms or captured by WMM or WME using default audio. All of these play OK on the DVP5992.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most of my WMV's were converted from dvr-ms or captured by WMM or WME using default audio. All of these play OK on the DVP5992.
    All of mine were downloaded off the internet. I don't encode or capture to WMV but I do have over 800 WMV files.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Darrels; I downloaded the TMPGEnc. Have no idea how to use it. I understand the drag and drop, but what do I need to change or check off to convert? Converting WMV's as mentioned. Want to burn them on a DVD, using Nero Express, (DVD data), playing them on a Phillips DVD player that says "DivX" on it. If you know how to do this, could you please give a step by step process to follow. Please talk to me as if you were talking to a 4 year old.....LOL....I do not understand a lot of computer lingo. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a picture guide I made. Using the XviD codec with a target quantizer of 2.00 will give quality close to original file. I used 48Hz at 128 for audio since that's what my file was. If you want mpg then it should automatically set to the right settings for your file (in my case, 640x360, 30fps, CBR 2000kbps, Layer-2 4800Hz, 192kbps).

tmpgenc-2.gif
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OMG...no idea what you said or posted. Remember...4 year old...LOL

I clicked on the XviD codec. I've been there before. Downloaded an older version (it's free). Now don't know what I need to click, check or whatever with it. LOL

Ooops, downloaded the wrong thing before. Downloading the XviD now. See what happens. I'm sure I'll be back!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I figured pictures would be easier for a four year old to comprehend.

You do know what a gif file is?

Here is a jpeg which may be easier to look at...

tmpgenc-3.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off, sorry, I missed the tmpgenc-3 at the bottom of your post. I clicked on the "XvidD codec" and that totally confused me.

I clicked on the tmpenc-3 now and it looks like it's something I can follow. Question though, is what am I suppose to be converting my files to? AVi? I'm not sure. As I mentioned before, I want to convert to something? and burn them on a DVD to play in a standalone player.

When watching your slide show, it goes from one pic to another. Anyway of stopping it on one slide so I can see what's going on with it?

I apoligize for my stupidity.

Gif file? Some sort of picture. I clicked on it and all I get is thumbnails, too small to see.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're playing on a divx player then XviD should be fine. If you have sync issues then you might want to go with mpeg.

Sounds like you have the files backwards. The gif file should play one frame at a time in fullscreen mode. With the jpeg, you need to hover over the bottom of the picture until the "expand to regular size" box pops up and click it. Then scroll down through each step.

As for stopping the gif, no. That's why I uploaded the jpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could drop your wmv's onto AllToAvi and see if that works ok for you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might as well wanna try AviDemux which can also handle WMV files.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I think I may be ready to try this. When I first open TMPGEnc, I get a screen that lists different formats?

It says Project Wizard. It lists; Video CD (with bunch of differents formats(?) below it, then Super Video, and finally DVD and selections below it.

It also has a drop down menu in the bottom right hand corner which has two choices; CBR linear PcM Audio and CBR Mpeg layer.

Do I need to check any of those before doing what you have in your slide show? or just click cancel?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No. Just close the first screen and start at step 1.

You can untick the box that says "enable the wizard at startup" if you want. They are templates for creating VCDs and DVDs to play in stand alone DVD players. You can bring it back up with File > Project Wisard.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Darrells, running into one problem. When I get to the settings for the audio, I don't get the pull down you do on your slide show for the MPEG Layer3. I'll try to print a print screen to show you what I'm getting. I left it on the default (can't remember which it was) I burnt a DVD, get the video but no sound.

??????

mpeg.bmp
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, lets forget all of the above. I just did it in MPEG and it works fine, so I'm not going to rock the boat. Just curious though, is AVI give you a better quality?

Also, as it takes awhile to do a movie, does anyone know how you can do a bunch as a batch? I've tried hitting the batch button, but I'm not getting anywhere. I'd like to have a bunch of them go all nite when I'm not using the computer.

Thanks for all the great help, especially Darrells, you've been very patient when dealing with this computer idiot. You are a scholar and a gentleman and I take my hat off to you.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For simplicity and/or batching, have a look at encodehd, winff, xmedia recode, ffmpeg [xpegt, gvc, autoff], avidemux
    Quote Quote