VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, I've been reading all the cool forums here regarding how to rip a blu ray disk to Divx for backup and easier access/less power consumption and I love the idea. I don't have a blu ray drive in my computer... I read somethign about swiss army knife on another forum. I guess you can install that on your ps3 and the page said 'over your wired network' you can move the iso to your PC. Is there a method to use your blu ray drive in the ps3 as a drive on your computer wirelessly?

Also, out of all these methods for converting to high def divx.... which one is the fastest and gives the best picture/sound quality? Not too worried about the size of the final file.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PS3 Blu-Ray to DivX:

1. Format PS3 for OTHEROS. (See Sonys website)
    2. Install "Swiss Army Knife" (PS3_SAK_v1.00.rar)
    3. I use external hard drive formatted for FA32 to download Blu-Ray disc. You can also transfer via network.
    3. Combine the files from the external hard drive to one *.iso file on you computer with copy /b
    4. Mount *.iso file with Nero Discimage.
    5. Copy mounted drive with slysoft AnyDVD.
    6. Now you have an open disc that you can transfer to DivX with tools described on this site depending on if the file
    is H264, VC-1 or MPEG-2. (EAC3TO ,dgavcdec, Ripbot,MeGUI, VirtualDUB). Just take your pick.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tutorial.... I have a couple questions.

What is copy /b? Is that a program or a prompt command?
    What is "mounting?"

I'm surprised there's so many steps still. No 1 stop programs out there for this sorta thing huh?

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

As far as I know there is no one step programs out there (yet!).

copy /b is a command under command prompt that will combine the files in binary format. This is nessecary since the files from "Swiss Army Knife" is in 3.5 GB chunks. An example from a Blu-ray dump would be:

C:\ copy /b blu-ray.aa+blu-ray.ab+blu-ray.ac+blu-ray.ac+blu-ray.ad+ blu-ray.ae F:\[name].iso

The blu-ray.aa parts depend on how big you blu-ray disc is.

"mounted" means that you are going to mount the *.iso file on your hard drive and treat it as you would have a blu-ray drive installed on your computer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Am interested in this process because I do not want to upgrade to a blu ray drive only to replace my computer in a year or two and trash the drive with it as the new comp. will have one. Still would like to do blu ray, and the ps3 would actually be useful when i can afford and hdtv. Anyway, tried the process (tho slightly different i know) to play (exact copy) dvd's purely thru files on hard drive and failed. I am now burning some dvd's and copy the files to a hard drive then write to disk just for ease of burning potential second copy later. Anyway, If i even so much as open a folder containing the copied dvd files they are rendered completely usless. Long story short. I'm the opposite of a computer wiz but am very interested in the process described here. Could anyone direct me to a description of the process to play dvd files off of a hard drive? Just a step towards understanding a process I may later decide to use. Thanks and forgive my ineptitude. And when I get ready for blu rays, I'm sure I'll have questions about those.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One more question: Any issue running blu ray files from an external hard drive via usb 2?
    Quote Quote