VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope this is a frequent topic with a cut & paste stock answer (although a forum and FAQ search didn't get me an answer).

This might be a familiar problem with people who have friends or family in Japan who send local recordings to you on DVD-R. Analog TV isn't a problem, but all DVD-R recordings of digital TV in Japan have CPRM. Is there a list of Blu-ray players and upconverting DVD players (US/region 1) that can play these DVD-Rs?

I know for sure that the Sony PLAYSTATION3 does exactly what I want. I also know it's a good Blu-ray player and an upcovernting DVD player too. It also has a large hard drive but doesn't have a tuner or even use the hard drive as a video recorder. It also supposedly consumes more power than the kitchen refrigerator.

So in other words, I'd like to know if there is a more frugal alternative to the PS3. It also means that I'm looking at a solutions less than $400, since that's the price of a PS3.

Aside from retail decks, an HTPC may be a solution, but I can't stand how noisy a cheap PC is, and if I choose high end components, it's sure to exceed the $400 target.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Time solved my own question.

Sony's Blu-ray decks S550 and S350 exactly what I want.

I tend to see them as set-top PS3s that don't play games.
    Quote Quote  
  3. CPRM and Vr-mode are different... copyright protection mechanism ..
    Many dvd recorders record in Vr mode.(phillips). easily ripped to computer, eg in tmgenc dvd author and other programs...CPRM I think stops you copying the disc in a dvd recorder, and is used possibly for pay per view stuff. ?
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reminder. CPRM and VR Mode are indeed different. CPRM (contents protection for recordable media) is the copy protection scheme used on the record-once DVD-Rs. VR Mode is just a disc format.

It seems they only burn CPRM DVD-Rs in VR Mode and not Video Mode. That much isn't a problem. Most decks that play DVD-RW seem to support VR Mode by default. CPRM is another problem. Most decks don't recognize a CPRM disc as valid.

Ripping a CPRM DVD-R is an interesting process. You must start with a DVD drive that supports CPRM. Otherwise, the DVD-R won't even mount.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Mogree
    Thanks for the reminder. CPRM and VR Mode are indeed different. CPRM (contents protection for recordable media) is the copy protection scheme used on the record-once DVD-Rs. VR Mode is just a disc format.

It seems they only burn CPRM DVD-Rs in VR Mode and not Video Mode. That much isn't a problem. Most decks that play DVD-RW seem to support VR Mode by default. CPRM is another problem. Most decks don't recognize a CPRM disc as valid.

Ripping a CPRM DVD-R is an interesting process. You must start with a DVD drive that supports CPRM. Otherwise, the DVD-R won't even mount.
    On the topic of CPRM - Mogree do u know of a capture card for HD in Japan that will allow u to save the HD file without the trouble of CPRM? ie what do they use to capture the HD files on d-addicts?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not that familiar with hardware that gets around digital TV protection in Japan. They might be using very old hardware from the days before they started encrypting digital TV.

But more realistically, it's quite possible that they aren't digital captures. The D connector outputs 720p and 1080i in analog, and you can capture that. I'd find that a pain to setup, and I wouldn't dream of doing that. Not to mention that it involves an analog step.

One of the few hardware that actually puts unencrypted digital streams on your hard drive through USB is the Friio. It still requires you to legally obtain a B-CAS card (the card that decrypts the digital encryption).
    Quote Quote  
  7. I posted this on another thread by mistake

Has anyone tried one of these with regards to CPRM?

Grex - The Best Digital Video Stabilizer will let you copy, capture and view any protected video content

* Copy protected DVD to DVD and VHS
    * Copy protected VHS to DVD and VHS
    * Record Protected TV channels from Satellite or Cable Receiver, SetTopBox, PVR, DVR, TiVo
    * Capture protected VHS and DVD with PC Video Capture Card
    * Interconnect any Macrovision sensitive devices like Video Projectors, HDTV and LCD monitors
    http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

I uploaded a picture here.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic359105.html#1924174
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Grex is what I know as a TBC (time base corrector). It strips off Macrovision and other similar means of analog copy protection.

CPRM on a DVD-R is digital copy protection with file encryption. A TBC won't do much to defeat protection. You can still make a clean analog copy of a CPRM protected DVD-R by an S-video connection anyway, although a TBC will likely get you a somewhat cleaner copy.

An analog copy of a DVD-R isn't interesting for several reasons. One is that you lose anamorphic widescreen as they turn into either squished or letterboxed video.
    Quote Quote