VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying to transfer some video from some tapes to DVD. The tapes were made in my Sony Steadyshot DCR-TRV340 NTSC Digital8. But, I didn't notice the tapes did not say "Hi8" on them, they just say "Sony M120 8mm Video Tape". I'm guessing that means they are analog? And I've never had a problem using Hi8 tapes, which I know are digitally recorded.

Anyway, they seemed to work fine while recording. However, when I tried to connect my camcorder to the JVC DR-M10 DVD writer via firewire to write it to a DVD-RW, a message popped up saying I had connected an incompatible device. I was not able to transfer the video. I then connected via RCA cables, and it seemed to transfer, but then I wasn't able to finalize the DVD-RW! When I put the non-finalized DVD-RW in my DVDROM to rip it to the HDD, the computer can't see a disc in the drive.

Not sure what to try, any advice would be appreciated on how I can transfer this stuff. My laptop does has a firewire input, but I've never dumped video to my computer before, so not sure how to do it.
    My gear:

- JVC HR-S9911U SVHS VCR
    - Datavideo TBC-1000
    - JVC DR-M10 DVD writer
    - Sony Steadyshot DCR-TRV340 NTSC Digital8 Camcorder
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nathanaa
    I've been trying to transfer some video from some tapes to DVD. The tapes were made in my Sony Steadyshot DCR-TRV340 NTSC Digital8. But, I didn't notice the tapes did not say "Hi8" on them, they just say "Sony M120 8mm Video Tape". I'm guessing that means they are analog? And I've never had a problem using Hi8 tapes, which I know are digitally recorded.

Anyway, they seemed to work fine while recording. However, when I tried to connect my camcorder to the JVC DR-M10 DVD writer via firewire to write it to a DVD-RW, a message popped up saying I had connected an incompatible device. I was not able to transfer the video. I then connected via RCA cables, and it seemed to transfer, but then I wasn't able to finalize the DVD-RW! When I put the non-finalized DVD-RW in my DVDROM to rip it to the HDD, the computer can't see a disc in the drive.

Not sure what to try, any advice would be appreciated on how I can transfer this stuff. My laptop does has a firewire input, but I've never dumped video to my computer before, so not sure how to do it.
    Video8 and Hi8 are analog standards when recorded in Video8 or Hi8 camcorders. Some not all Digital8 camcorders will play these analog recorded tapes and convert to DV format over IEEE-1394 as they play.

If you recorded these tapes in the Digital8 camcorder, they would be digitally recorded in DV format and would play back as DV format. The tape would run at twice speed. A 2Hr tape would record 60min of DV.

Sony requested that Hi8 tape stock be used for recording DV but in my experience recent formulations of MP Video8 tape work when played in the same camcorder. The issue with Video8 tape is lower recording magnetic density and RF amplitude vs Hi8 tape.

If the tape plays OK to a TV, the DVD recorder should recognize it as DV input video over IEEE-1394.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, when I ran the RCA cables, it was straight to the inputs on the DVD writer. I didn't think to try running them to the TV itself, then running a separate set to the recorder to record straight off the TV. I guess I could try that as a last resort.

If, in your more-expert opinion than mine the camera-DV out to writer-DV in via firewire should have worked, I'm wondering why it did not? That message about an incompatible device popped up on all three tapes. I cycled the JVC, thinking that would help but to no avail.

I just remembered - for each of the attempts to record via RCA cables, at the end of the video recording, the JVC would go into the locked-up and flashing "Loading" message. I would have to hard reboot it by shutting off power at the surge protector. Then, when it would be back on, I could not finalize the discs.

I have no problems with Hi8 tapes, just these MP120 8mm ones. Any other thoughts on what might be causing the problem(s)? Like I said, I can try the work-around if nothing else, so I appreciate that idea (duhh....), thanks.
    My gear:

- JVC HR-S9911U SVHS VCR
    - Datavideo TBC-1000
    - JVC DR-M10 DVD writer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nathanaa

I have no problems with Hi8 tapes, just these MP120 8mm ones. Any other thoughts on what might be causing the problem(s)? Like I said, I can try the work-around if nothing else, so I appreciate that idea (duhh....), thanks.
    That was going to be my next question. So am I to understand that the JVC DVD recorder works fine when you run the same connections using the Hi8 tapes?

Were the Video8 MP tapes recorded on that same camcorder or another?

When I suggested the TV first I meant to see if the picture is clear and stable when played to a TV. A TV will sync more easily than a recorder so I just wanted to know if the picture quality was adequate at the TV. You could then run IEEE-1394 to the DVD recorder while monitoring on the TV from the composite cable. Or reconnect the composite cable to the recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the JVC DVD recorder works just fine when I'm transferring video from Hi8 tapes. I've never tried to transfer video from Hi8 tapes to the JVC DVD recorder via RCA (composite) cables before, I can give it a try tomorrow though to see if the same flashing "loading" problem happens.

The Video8 MP tapes were recorded on the same camcorder (the only one I own) as the Hi8 tapes were.

As for the picture quality, it was fine from both types of tapes during transfer, what I'm used to getting/seeing. The picture on the TV screen looked great.

Hopefully these ideas will work, I'll try them, and thanks edTV for the advice. I hope I can figure out how to get these tapes to work for me, it would greatly increase my meager supply of camcorder tapes. I got a whole stack of them for free, heh.

The Video8 tapes were given to me by a friend whose camcorder died, so I have never used them before. I have to try and get one out of her camcorder still, the pop-out side is stuck and I am trying to figure out how to open it without just smashing it open. (Won't turn on, went swimming.) My son wants to try and play with the innards for his engineering class and robot club, but he may not get the chance if I go medieval on it, heh heh.

Anyway, thanks again, any other advice or thoughts are welcome!
    My gear:

- JVC HR-S9911U SVHS VCR
    - Datavideo TBC-1000
    - JVC DR-M10 DVD writer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try using the IEEE-1394 to the computer instead and make the DVD there.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never done it, but I'm not against trying. Never even looked into it. Any particular software I'd need? Or could you point me at an instructional (which uses freeware) to get me started? I would appreciate it.

I've got/use:
    DVDDecrypter
    DVDFab Decrypter 5
    DVDShrink+Nero
    TMPGEnc (only ever used it once I think)
    TMPG DVDAuthor
    ISOBuster
    UltraISO
    DaemonTools
    DVDRebuilder (I've got CCE Basic & AviSynth for this)
    AnyDVD
    My gear:

- JVC HR-S9911U SVHS VCR
    - Datavideo TBC-1000
    - JVC DR-M10 DVD writer
    Quote Quote  
  8. To rule out that something has changed with your camcorder, try recording a short segment to a Video8 tape and a Hi8 tape to see if you get the same behavior. i.e., perhaps something else is going on coincedent with your change in tape.

Re the stuck cassette, successfully opening a camcorder is like solving the Rubik cube. You almost certainly can remove the tape without smashing the camcorder open but you may have to remove more of those tiny screws than you could ever imagine and pay very close attention so you can put everything back together again. I've done it a few times. On some occasions, I've had the luxury of the service manual, other times it's just me against the engineers...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "I've got/use:
    DVDDecrypter
    DVDFab Decrypter 5
    DVDShrink+Nero
    TMPGEnc (only ever used it once I think)
    TMPG DVDAuthor
    ISOBuster
    UltraISO
    DaemonTools
    DVDRebuilder (I've got CCE Basic & AviSynth for this)
    AnyDVD"

1. WinDV to transfer DV to a DV-AVI file on disc.
    2. TMPGEnc to cut and encode MPeg2
    3. TMPG DVDAuthor to author
    4. ISOBuster to burn
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EdDV, thanks for pointing me at WinDV, sounds like the perfect little tool. I DL'd it and will give it a whirl. If it is as good as it sounds, I might be able to go from dumping my video from the camcorder to a DVD-RW in the DVD writer to ripping it to the hard drive of my laptop to the straight-to-HDD routine I know most guys use.

I'll give that a try before I try to redo all my cables and such on my hardware transfer setup (pain in the @$$ to get behind all that stuff).

And thanks for the input on cracking open the camcorder JM <chuckle - you against the engineers, I like that one>.

Any further problems or questions, I'll post again - thanks again guys.
    My gear:

- JVC HR-S9911U SVHS VCR
    - Datavideo TBC-1000
    - JVC DR-M10 DVD writer
    Quote Quote