VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dl an .avi movie in two parts. Unfortunatelly, both parts have an audio synch problem: audio is 1 sec (approx) behind the video. (The audio does not play well on the individual parts either, but when I joined them, the audio plays well, albeit late)

I have searched the forum, but I cannot find the appropriate answer. I would appreciate any help on how to synch the audio, either with the individual files or the joined one.

Here are some of the details of the files:
    File Type: .avi
    Video Codec/info: mpeg4, yuv420p, 640x384, 25 fps
    Audio Codec/info: ac3, 48 khz, 5.1, 448 kb/s

The video file plays well.

Thanks, and sorry for the - possibly - naive question.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tool for the job: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Virtualdub

Download and read guides and tutorials about audio synching.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Jeremiah58

Unfortunatelly that only works for Windows, and I needed it for Mac. However, I found a working solution:

I re-encoded the .avi file using the .avi divx option using the mpeg4 ffmpegx codec, and it synch the audio beautifully. It shrank the size of the file too, which I am not too happy about, but it got the work done, and at least on the computer, I cannot tell the difference on the quality of the image.

This tool rocks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An alternative to consider in the future is to edit the audio track only. That way, your video track doesn't undergo any added transcoding quality degradation. There are many tools for audio editing, but my favorite is Audacity (free). It can speed up or slow down your audio as necessary, insert/remove gaps, advance/delay the track, etc. These features are adequate to fix the vast majority of audio sync-related problems, which tend to fall into only a couple of categories: 1) Slight speed mismatch; 2) Fixed delay offset; 3) Occasional jump in timing at scene breaks, file boundaries, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Tomlee59. I will try that over the weekend.

I just posted another question, since my "solution" was working, but now I joined them, and the audio got out of synch again. I will still try Audacity.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote