VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I have 2 DVD players
    1) Philips DVP3166
    2)Toshiba SD 42HKSA

The Toshiba SD42HKSA is a part of the home theatre system. My Toshiba DVD player 's lens developed some problem so I bought Philips DVP 3166 (about an year back) . Now since the Toshiba home theatre system speakers work only with this Toshiba DVD player (output jack types are different) , so I connected my Philips 's front right and front left outputs to the Toshiba system 's input.

Can u please help me regarding the following issues
    1) can I expect the 5.1 channel sound??? (as I have connected only the front right and front left to the input of Toshiba)
    2)is there any other method possible for connecting the 2 so that I can have 5.1 channel sound???
    3) Can the speaker which connect to Toshiba be connected to Phillips in some manner (by converting the type of jacks)

Pleaseeeee help. Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. No
    2. No
    3. No

Again, this time with feeling.

1. No. You are outputting analogue stereo through the two jacks, so the Toshiba will only get a stereo signal to work with. If the Tosh has an optical or coax data input then you could use the appropriate cable to send the multi-channel digital audio through and let the Tosh decode and play it.

2. No. See answer to 1 regarding optical or coax inputs.

3. No. The Philips does not have an amplifier, so it cannot drive speakers on it's own. Ultimately, the solution is to either get the Toshiba unit repaired, or toss it and replace it with an AV amplifier. In the short term you may be able to use the speakers from the Toshiba with a new amp.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I checked my 2 DVD players
    Philips has Coaxial output port
    Toshiba has optical input port.

Is it possible to connect the COAXIAL OUTPUT of Philips to OPTICAL INPUT of Toshiba using some cable???

Pleaseeee help!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. as far as I know, you could expect 5.1 sound if you put the coaxial in a reciever/amplifier, but thats a big investment. Thats the only way to use the coaxial in and out for the sound.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you set the Philips to output 2.0 downmix you can use the Tosh to decode the left-right signal as Dolby Surround.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Since the Philips DVD player has coax out and the HTIB receiver has optical in I'd spend the $20 and get the converter.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you everyone for your valuable suggestions.

@ntscuser
    [/quote]If you set the Philips to output 2.0 downmix you can use the Tosh to decode the left-right signal as Dolby Surround.[quote]

Since I am a newbie to this , i couldn't understand what u meant. I am really interested in trying your suggestion can you help me to do this?

I thought of 1 more thing I connected the front right and front left to my TV and the 2 rear ones to the Toshiba rear speakers , the quality is not that good but was just trying different things.

@jacabo Your suggestion looks gr8
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Shikhar
    Originally Posted by ntscuser
    If you set the Philips to output 2.0 downmix you can use the Tosh to decode the left-right signal as Dolby Surround.
    i couldn't understand what u meant. I am really interested in trying your suggestion can you help me to do this?
    The stereo output (red/white RCA) from your new DVD player will contain the center and rear channels "matrixed" into the stereo audio. The receiver can then be set to Dolby Surround mode to route the center and rear channel to the appropriate speakers. This won't work a well, or sound as good, as a coax-to-optical adapter and the two independent rear channels of the 5.1 source will be reduced to one channel (and sent to both rear speakers).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Philips DVD player has jacks for all the 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer and does not have individual jacks (of L+R stereo). Its manual states is u need stereo output connect the external device to front R and front L jacks and for home theatre connect all the speaker and sub woofer to their respective jack.

So in this case can ntscuser 's suggestion work?????
    Quote Quote  
  10. That will probably work. The player should have an option to downmix 5.1 to stereo. In which case the extra channels will be matrixed into the stereo signal. If you don't downmix you will be missing the center, rear, and LFE channels.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jacabo for answering my question
    2 things I wanted to know
    1)If I connect the output of Philips to my TV and connect Toshiba to the output of my TV will the sound quality be that good as directly connecting the 2. I prefer connecting to TV as I have an option of turning on the home theatre system whenever I want to watch some movie on movie channels.
    2) one of the wires which used to connect my centre speaker to the Toshiba system is damaged, so can u please tell me the name of this wire.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Shikhar
    1)If I connect the output of Philips to my TV and connect Toshiba to the output of my TV will the sound quality be that good as directly connecting the 2. I prefer connecting to TV as I have an option of turning on the home theatre system whenever I want to watch some movie on movie channels.
    The output from the TV is probably just an analog pass through. There should be no noticeable difference between that and a direct connection to the DVD player.

Originally Posted by Shikhar
    2) one of the wires which used to connect my centre speaker to the Toshiba system is damaged, so can u please tell me the name of this wire.
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the unit -- I don't know what type of connection it uses. There are many different types of cables to connect amps to speakers. You should be able to take the cable to any electronics shop and get an inexpensive replacement. If you post a close up picture of the connectors at both ends I can tell you what to get.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was checking my philips DVD player 's ports I saw one Ya & Pb component written there so can i get output from there to my Toshiba DVD player. I am saying this coz if I take output from the front l and front r ports from the philips I feel that i may miss the centre and rear l and rear r.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was checking my philips DVD player 's ports I saw one Ya & Pb component written there so can i get output from there to my Toshiba DVD player. I am saying this coz if I take output from the front l and front r ports from the philips I feel that i may miss the centre and rear l and rear r.
    Those are video, not audio.

Most players only have stereo RCA audio outputs (front left and right). To get surround sound, you have to use the digital output (optical or coaxial).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thnx.
    Can u people please give me the link of some 5.1 channel audio or video (.avi or.mp4 format) file??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thnx.
    Can u people please give me the link of some 5.1 channel audio or video (.avi or.mp4 format) file??
    You don't have a 5.1 DVD lying around ?

You should find something here : http://www.kellyindustries.com/sounds.html
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote