VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi-- thanks for a possible solution. I have recently entered the world of ripping DVD. As of today, my search has taken me to the programs dvdshrink and handbrake. I first take the VIDEO_TS and Audio_TS folders off of the DVD with dvdshrink, then process them with handbrake to create the .mkv file. Is there a better way of performing this process, and if so are there tutorials I have not come across yet? My real question is if it's possible to put soft subtitle tracks in the .mkv file I create with handbrake. If I can do this task with mkvmerge, how exactly is it done? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greets,

Welcome to ripping and to Videohelp.com. Adding subs and extra audio tracks is a breeze with mkvmerge. Start up mkvmerge GUI, drag your finished encode from handbrake to the Input Files area. You will see the audio and video streams listed in the Tracks window. I use VSRip to extract the subs. It may produce several files. Find the correct one and drag it to Input Files area of mkvmerge. If you wish to pull out extra audio tracks you can use DGIndex in Demux Audio Only Stream mode on the VOB's to do that.

Something you must remember to do in mkvmerge is under the Format Specific Options with your video stream selected. Is to Enter the correct Aspect Ratio. Also if given the option, set the correct FPS. Make sure you do these or you might get funky playback - wrong speed or aspect ratio. Easy enough to fix, just run through mkvmerge again. Under General Track Options it is smart to make sure the correct language is selected for the audio and video tracks, so as not to confuse some video players.

Set the Output filename, Start muxing and you are good to go within a few minutes. Mkvmerge will let you know if everything went alright. Once you get the hang of it, the program is dead easy to use to mux in / out tracks, subs.

DVDShrink in ReAuthor mode is great for pulling out just the movie, seperate episodes, choose only wanted subtitles and audio tracks. It's decrypting engine is not super current. Handbrake is great, really liking the current version. For Ripping I still use Ripit4Me with DVDDecrypter. Suppose I may need to move to other, currently updated software when needs must. If you install RipIt4Me unplug your internet connection first. So it does not try to seek an update and turn that feature off in the Settings. After that you are good to go.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Rene: Could you not just wound him a little bit?
    Hans: Well now, with a 25 pound shell that is not easy.

'Allo 'Allo
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much, sir. I will try what you have said and respond with my results. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having a bit of trouble. It seems I can put the .idx file in the input field but not the .sub file. When I mux the .idx, audio, and video, I get a selectable subtitle track in both VLC and WMC, but no actual subtitles appear during playback. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to see things are working well so far for you. Installing VSFilter can help with displaying subtitles via the computer. A little green arrow icon will show up in the lower right corner of the task bar when you play a video. From there you can select the subtitle, hide it, etc. Forgot to mention that.

Cheers,
    R
    Rene: Could you not just wound him a little bit?
    Hans: Well now, with a 25 pound shell that is not easy.

'Allo 'Allo
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay. All is figured out. For all of those possibly reading in search of a comprehensive answer, simply download these applications: VSRip (subtitles), DVDDecrypter and RipIt4Me (taking .VOBs off of the physical DVD), Handbrake (encoding to .MKV from .VOBs), and MKVMerge GUI (putting together the finished .MKV and the subtitles). Any questions.... ask me.
    Quote Quote