VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need an application that can convert .vob files uploaded from a DVD camera to WMV file format with the subpicture included for the date time stamp. We also need to convert .3gp files to wmv, and will need to convert videos from AVCHD format to WMV in the near future.

This application needs to be able to be run by command line or have an API that can be used with C#.

We also need a good application or .NET plug in that allows editing (removing one or more sections from) a WMV file.

If you know of an app that fits or a good developer with experience that would like to work on a project with a very tight deadline reply and let me know.
    Mike Strange
    Chief Solutions Designer
    Strange Solutions, LLC
    www.gotstrange.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Money talks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This project is for the second largest employer in the US. If you can provide the necessary expertise you can reach me via the web site in my signature, and we can discuss this further.
    Mike Strange
    Chief Solutions Designer
    Strange Solutions, LLC
    www.gotstrange.com
    Quote Quote  
  4. Not to steal filmboss80's thunder, but you might want to solicit help at Doom9 forums as well. There are many experts & bright developers there, and at least 2 VC-1 CLI apps being developed there

http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Conversion and cuts-only editing is not really the problem. (AviDemux, for one, would probably handle much of that.) The tricky part is the transfer of a subpicture timestamp -- and this is all the more puzzling when you say your source is a vob from a DVD camcorder.

Your specific needs seem fairly unique. To my knowledge, there is not much demand for the exact type of app that you require. If no one else posts a solution here after a reasonable passage of time, you might indeed need a proprietary tool; and that would require a developer's employment. My earlier post was just a quickie suggestion for you to offer compensation. The link poisondeathray provided is a good place to start. (In this particular case, I have no thunder to steal.)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If we are not able to find a pre-existing tool (that we are more than willing to pay for) then we would be interested in discussing the project with a developer (or tech firm) provided they can show expertise on those specific tasks. We get video uploaded from our users in one of the formats listed (DVD, 3GP, AVCHD). In the case of DVD we are uploading the entire VIDEO_TS folder from the disk to our server. We will have a directory that has one or more of these videos in it that need to be converted to a single WMV. The DVD files are created on a DVD camcorder that adds the date time stamp as a subpicture. It is a requirement that the date time stamp be included in the output WMV.

A secondary need is a tool we can integrate into the c# app that allows our users to edit the WMV files to remove sections that are unwanted. We could get by with an API that allows us to cut mutiple sections out of the WMV file in an efficeint manner. We had it coded to use Windows Media Encoder to split the file and join the two files back together, but this is very inefficient especially for making multiple edits.

We may be posting this project to sites such as rent-a-coder, etc... but wanted to start here in hopes of finding people with more experience in this arena specifically.
    Mike Strange
    Chief Solutions Designer
    Strange Solutions, LLC
    www.gotstrange.com
    Quote Quote