VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Not sure if this is the correct forum for this or not.

I am wondering if anybody knows of ANY free software that will play Blu-ray disks with dts-hd audio and title menu's ?

Our choices currently it seems to be limited to just m2ts file players (MPC / KMP etc..) or pay for windvd or powerdvd
    much talk make wise men think
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MPC HC [updated]?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    VLC has some extremely limited beta support for BluRay, but I have no idea if it will do what you want. I wouldn't count on it. At some point in the future it may be a viable free option for BluRay, depending on its ability to support high def audio formats like DTS-HD and DD+.
    Quote Quote  
  5. From the audio filter options in MPC u can enable DTS HD support and it does play it, although you have no control over which tracks it chooses, however, menu's are stll required for operation of blu-ray movie disks, espeically ones that use more than one m2ts file for the main movie content.

PowerDVD is crap and I cannot get the Windvd 9 Plus (blu ray) trial download to actually work with any blu-ray disk.
    Of all payed choices, I can't seem to find much information on the net whats avaliable, maybe im not searching right.
    Is there JUST windvd or powerdvd that claim to support blu-ray movies? Is that all?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    PowerDVD and WinDVD are the only ones I have found that can playback a Blu-ray disc in a similar fashion to a Blu-ray set top player. I can't find any freeware players that will do this. But someone may be working on one.

But you can play the .m2ts video files with several players, VLC, MPC Cinema and others. The largest .m2ts file is usually the main movie. If you can open the BD disc, look in BDMV\STREAM\ for the .m2ts files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    PowerDVD and WinDVD in my opinion actually get worse with each new release. Both are complete slaves to Hollyweird and Hollyweird makes them remove functionality out of each release that the previous one had. I'm not surprised at all that you think that both suck. I am not aware of any other commercial BluRay software players. Hollyweird would probably perfer to forbid you from playing BluRay on a PC, but since they can't really do that because the drives are available, what they have decided to do is to make the experience difficult and unpleasant so that you will do it as little as possible.

A clever person might think of a way to find older versions of each as older versions might actually work better for you. I am not kidding when I said that newer releases have less functionality than older ones.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Agreed.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Your right about the functions dissapearing...
    For example, the latest version of powerdvd (that I am forced to use) which came free with my blu-ray drive doesn't appear to have fast-foward or rewind controlls on the main panel anymore.
    I accidently discovered you can still rew/ff by scrolling mouse up/down.

What "genius" at Cyberlink came up with that idea????? I mean seriously, wtf ???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried DAPlayer by Digiarty Software? It can be found here:

http://www.digiarty.com/
    Above the Best, Fly Army!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As others have said, the only free software (that I know of) which can play Blu-Ray is VLC - and even then it only supports playing the m2ts files directly. Years ago the entire film was contained as a single m2ts file, but now they mostly seem to be spread across several such files; the other downer is that you have no option over which audio track to play

Personally I think PowerDVD and WinDVD are sh|te - I bought TMT3 a few years ago and have never looked back (I gather TMT5 is the latest version). Most people on this board usually recommend it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    According to the VLC web site most commercial Blu-Ray discs are protected by AACS or BD+ technologies and VLC is not able to playback those discs."

DAPlayer Features
    • Support commercial Bluray and homemade Bluray with region free. Compatible with BD+ and AACS protected Bluray disc.
    • Supports all 1080P/1080i HD videos at low CPU cost, such as M2TS, AVCHD, TP, MPEG-TS, EVO, MKV, AVC, MOD.
    • Support most popular video formats including game videos, Youtube and other popular videos, such as MPEG1/2, WMV/ASF, AVI, MOV, RM/RMBV, OGV, FLV, MP4, H.264, M4V, WEBM.
    • Support any DVD on any region DVD driver device with full DVD navigation controls with built-in free DVD player.
    • DAPlayer is based on BASS Audio System. It is support up to 8 channels audio system, mix audio to 2 channels headphone and surround sound. Support Multi-channel DTS, TrueHD, AC3/Dolby.
    • Low cpu cost, support Multi-Core CPU and Hyper-Threading technology.
    I have not tried the software as of yet, because I don't have a blu-ray drive. I came across this software while searching for a blu-ray player/recorder for my computer. The program is freeware and a Google search will show numerous write-ups.

Again, I am not recommending DAPlayer I am simply providing information. I will be installing it to play commercial DVD discs. If I find anything noteworthy I will report back to this thread.
    Above the Best, Fly Army!
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm now trying DAplayer with THere Will Be Blood BLu-ray.

"An error occurs during the Playback."

Crapware.

Edit:

It works with Batman Begins Blu-ray but only main movie playback. So it's not total crap. Adding it to our tools list.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 14th Feb 2011 at 09:35.
    Quote Quote  
  14. So, which versions of Powerdvd and windvd have the most functionality? Pray tell
    Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    TMT.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I love it that you wanna pay for software.

also, I tried playing Cloverfield with daplayer, but it won't, its giving me sh|te about some fonts and then plays audio only.
    I use winxp, but still
    Last edited by KneeRow; 5th Aug 2011 at 08:58.
    Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)
    Quote Quote  
  17. seriously? after all these years powerdvd and windvd still have the exclusive rights to be the ONLY bluray players with full commercial support? Is there some legal issue here they have?

is there alternative paid for software even? one that isn't picky what you play..
    surely playing a bluray isn't rocket science, why isn't there more software for it on the free market to play commercial disks without problems?
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    TMT is a very good paid alternative.

Nope, no free players.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How about Arcsoft Total Media Theater 5 or 3. Theater 3 plays all the Blu Rays I throw at it-no problem-just expensive
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by mostin5000 View Post
    surely playing a bluray isn't rocket science, why isn't there more software for it on the free market to play commercial disks without problems?

Because they have to pay licensing fees to the BDA, AACS LLC, etc. Your only solution is to rip the BD and play the folders.
    Quote Quote  
  21. If a user already has AnyDVD HD or DVDFab Passkey they can use the newer release of VSO Media Player which is freeware. Not the best player and it doesn't offer a million setting options but it won't require you to rip anything first. The big negative is the lack of menu support, however, but it works and it's free.

http://www.vso-software.fr/products/vmp/vso-media-player.php
    Last edited by HemLok; 5th Aug 2011 at 21:13.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will be a little bit off-topic with my question: what PC media playing software(s) (exact versions please) do I need in order to play - here comes the pain - BLU-RAY stuff from my HDD folder? I need full menu support and optional subtitles and sound channels as well. And here is the off-topic part: for me it doesn't have to be a free software, I am willing to pay for this. You know, I keep my stuff on external hdd, and that is why I would like to have this question answered. I have no intenion of buying a media player, the pc will do it for me, I have a strong one.
    Help me with some ideas about this, please! Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Total Media Theatre is probably the best. BUT try the TRIAL first.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you Baldrick! That sounds like a cunning plan! Black Adder.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just tried VSO media player. It was listed in the Newest tool section of this site. I was surprised by it. Using DVD Passkey, I was able to load a blue Ray disk into the program and play it. Didn't have menus but it showed all the extras as well as the movie. To me, it was very impressive.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    Just tried VSO media player. It was listed in the Newest tool section of this site. I was surprised by it. Using DVD Passkey, I was able to load a blue Ray disk into the program and play it. Didn't have menus but it showed all the extras as well as the movie. To me, it was very impressive.

Tony
    That's why I recommended it which was before it was added to the VideoHelp tool section. It's a more simple player without lots of frills but it does leverage multi-core CPUs and CUDA for those with applicable NVIDIA videocards. It's basic but it works and does allow playing all the titles even though it doesn't have real menu support. You still do get to see a listing of the material available.

Given that the product is just newly available I can foresee it gaining some features but I expect it to remain more rudimentary. It certainly won't replace my using TMT5 or my standalone BD players but there are times when I need to quickly check something and it works with less hassle than firing up TMT.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know Nero is not liked on this board, is not free, but can be had cheep.
    Version 10 has the best BD player I ever used
    Quote Quote  
  28. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nero is far from free, as requested by the OP. VLC and and a few other players can play a deccrypted .m2ts file from a BD disc. But you won't have any menus. And the BD has to be decrypted first. I use AnyDVD for that. $$ But DVDFab HD Decrypter can decrypt some BDs and it's freeware.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nero Multimedia Suite 10 Platinum HD plays commercial BD Disks. I dident say it was free. Bought my copy for $19.00

http://www.nero.com/enu/nero10-hd-overview.html
    Last edited by CapeKO; 18th Aug 2011 at 21:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    redwudz' point was that the OP was looking for free software, though.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote