VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Media Player Classic - Home Cinema http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/download-media-player-classic-hc.html can play bluray discs with an on-the-fly decrypter like DVDFab Passkeylite (Free) / DVDFab Passkey for Bluray (Licenced) / AnyDVDHD(Licenced) running in the background. It will straight away pickup the main movie playlist and start playing the movie from the beginning to end. One can right-click and navigate to choose the audio and subs.

(Since version 1.1.604.0 (Jun 2008) MPC Home Cinema has provided support for M2TS files with H264, VC1 ,AC3, DTS, LPCM. The current version is 1.5.2.3456.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by CapeKO View Post
    Nero Multimedia Suite 10 Platinum HD plays commercial BD Disks. I dident say it was free. Bought my copy for $19.00

http://www.nero.com/enu/nero10-hd-overview.html
    Where did you find it for $19? I've been using VSO, but could use something a bit better.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I bought a Blu-Ray combo drive which included PowerDVD 8 on its software disc. It seems to work, and plays Blu-Ray ISO images ripped with a trial version of Passkey and mounted on DVDFab Virtual Drive. There were some issues with a Catalyst release, since corrected. PowerDVD 8 keeps insisting that I have to upgrade, yet it works. This is as "free" as I could get. I've only got a handful of Blu-Ray discs and have no incentive to buy special software for them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Second using MPC-HC. Throw in ffdshow for audio and you can have bitstreamed DTS-HD as well. The price certainly is right.

Daum PotPlayer is another that will play M2TS files and bitstream hidef audio. But "Play DVD" doesn't automatically play the M2TS film file like MPC-HC does.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Please excuse my ignorance. I simply backup all my existing blue ray movies to iso using AnydvdHD and then BDRebuilder to compress to about 22gb. all my files are BD iso's. I did this because I usually stream these files from my pc to my Home Theater with a media player that plays BD iso's. When I travel, I need to change my methods. I suppose I could convert back to BDMV and then play from the stream folder. The only player I've found for free so far that can play without mounting to a virtual drive is the VSO program, and for some reason it only works perfectly on my laptop, not my PC. I would love to find another player that works better.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Arcsoft Total Media Player will do it but, it costs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Constant Gardener View Post
    I bought a Blu-Ray combo drive which included PowerDVD 8 on its software disc. It seems to work, and plays Blu-Ray ISO images ripped with a trial version of Passkey and mounted on DVDFab Virtual Drive. There were some issues with a Catalyst release, since corrected. PowerDVD 8 keeps insisting that I have to upgrade, yet it works. This is as "free" as I could get. I've only got a handful of Blu-Ray discs and have no incentive to buy special software for them.
    I bought a combo drive a few months ago (a Samsung) and also received a free copy of PowerDVD 8. Unfortunately I had to do a reinstall of some software on my PC yesterday and PowerDVD 8 stopped working, and now I find that now can't read the PowerDVD 8 disc (all other discs work fine). And yes, I've cleaned it, etc.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get hold of another copy of this free disc, maybe from Samsung or Cyberlink? It's damn annoying as PowerDVD 8 has been working just fine up until now and I'm loathe to splash out 60 quid on PowerDVD 11.
    Quote Quote  
  8. While not free Arcsoft Total Media Theatre will play Blue Ray from folders and meshes right in with Windows Media Center 7, which is really nice for HTPC. It also does not require activation.

Here is a link where its 1/2 off. This is how I bought it a few weeks ago.

http://www.arcsoft.com/partners/softpedia.html

I would have preferred free, but I have not found a working free solution that will pass through the DTS/AC3 run with MCE7 on both of my HTPC's etc. The support forum is pretty active as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    +1 for Arcsoft Total Media Theatre, for all the reasons mentioned above, plus it's the only one I've found so far that also plays a Blu-ray .ISO (mounted with a virtual drive like Virtual Clone Drive , etc).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by CompVid View Post
    Originally Posted by Constant Gardener View Post
    I bought a Blu-Ray combo drive which included PowerDVD 8 on its software disc. It seems to work, and plays Blu-Ray ISO images ripped with a trial version of Passkey and mounted on DVDFab Virtual Drive. There were some issues with a Catalyst release, since corrected. PowerDVD 8 keeps insisting that I have to upgrade, yet it works. This is as "free" as I could get. I've only got a handful of Blu-Ray discs and have no incentive to buy special software for them.
    I bought a combo drive a few months ago (a Samsung) and also received a free copy of PowerDVD 8. Unfortunately I had to do a reinstall of some software on my PC yesterday and PowerDVD 8 stopped working, and now I find that now can't read the PowerDVD 8 disc (all other discs work fine). And yes, I've cleaned it, etc.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get hold of another copy of this free disc, maybe from Samsung or Cyberlink? It's damn annoying as PowerDVD 8 has been working just fine up until now and I'm loathe to splash out 60 quid on PowerDVD 11.
    I think the drive you purchased has to be attached when you load PWR DVD8. I'm in the same situation. I bought an LG external BD drive and loaded PWR DVD8, and latet gave the drive to my brother. When I reinstalled windows, I wouldn't allow me to reinstall the PWRDVD8 software. I assume it's because they don't want people giving the software to others for free, and only want it to work when you have their hardware. I'm considering buying and returning the same drive just to reinstall, but not sure I want to play that game.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stevescottcfi View Post
    I think the drive you purchased has to be attached when you load PWR DVD8. I'm in the same situation. I bought an LG external BD drive and loaded PWR DVD8, and latet gave the drive to my brother. When I reinstalled windows, I wouldn't allow me to reinstall the PWRDVD8 software. I assume it's because they don't want people giving the software to others for free, and only want it to work when you have their hardware. I'm considering buying and returning the same drive just to reinstall, but not sure I want to play that game.
    That's just the thing though, I'm still using the same drive.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by p_l View Post
    +1 for Arcsoft Total Media Theatre, for all the reasons mentioned above, plus it's the only one I've found so far that also plays a Blu-ray .ISO (mounted with a virtual drive like Virtual Clone Drive , etc).
    I'd love to try TMT, but I installed it about a year ago and had an audio problem, so I let the the 15 day trial expire. So I uninstalled it.

Now though if I re-install it to try again, it recognises that it has been installed in the past and says that the trial period has expired (for obvious reaons).

Anyone know how I can get TMT to re-install for another trial period? Perhaps it's hidden a few files somewhere, or made some permanent registry changes?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by CompVid View Post
    Originally Posted by stevescottcfi View Post
    That's just the thing though, I'm still using the same drive.
    Oh, sorry, I thought you had the same problem as me.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by CompVid View Post
    Originally Posted by p_l View Post
    I'd love to try TMT, but I installed it about a year ago and had an audio problem, so I let the the 15 day trial expire. So I uninstalled it.

Now though if I re-install it to try again, it recognises that it has been installed in the past and says that the trial period has expired (for obvious reaons).

Anyone know how I can get TMT to re-install for another trial period? Perhaps it's hidden a few files somewhere, or made some permanent registry changes?
    The only way I know is to reinstall window. Big hassle for most people though. I would also like to know, because i wouldn't mind retrying some other trials I've used in the past.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by stevescottcfi View Post
    Originally Posted by CapeKO View Post
    Nero Multimedia Suite 10 Platinum HD plays commercial BD Disks. I dident say it was free. Bought my copy for $19.00

http://www.nero.com/enu/nero10-hd-overview.html
    Where did you find it for $19? I've been using VSO, but could use something a bit better.
    After a little research I found that Frys is offering it for $39.99 after MIR.

http://www.frys.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=nero+11&cat=0

However, I went to Frys and had them match Amazons price of $45.99

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nero+11&x=0&y=0

So I purchased it for $45.99 plus there is a $40 MIR + a $20 Upgrade rebate, in the end I will make $10.00

You have to love Fry's price match policy which inlcudes online stores now.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I Know a software named spamalot is one easy-to-use player for Windows 7/8/XP/Vista PC. It can help users enjoy any Blu-ray movie with outstanding and perfect video quality at home. This amazing player can not only play Blu-ray Disc, but also support Blu-ray folder and ISO image files. This Blu-ray Player is reliable and expert in playing Blu-ray discs released in different regions and dates trough simple clicks of mouse.

http://www.spamalot.com/blu-ray-player/

Spamalot Blu-ray Player is also capable of playing popular video files. Users can enjoy videos in HD video, AVCHD video, MTS, M2TS, MXF, TS, TRP, MKV, MPEG, FLV, WMV, and MP4, etc. formats.

* Play Blu-ray disc, Blu-ray folder and ISO files.
    * Support playing popular video files.
    * Bring users 1080P HD video watching experience.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 23rd Jan 2013 at 11:41.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Not sure I trust a website labeled as spamalot.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Not sure I trust a website labeled as spamalot.
    Me too.

I also find it odd how someone will ask a question and for years it has no answer and then all of a sudden we get a one post wonder out of nowhere who joins the forums simply to post the miraculous answer that nobody else has ever thought of. A few weeks ago I got into an argument here for pointing this out and the guy who made the original post went nuts and the more he kept insisting that the software product in question was completely and totally legit simply because he said so, the even greater I was convinced that it was spyware or infected.

I constantly question companies that use bizarre names like spamalot. Recently we had one guy who bought something from "Honestech" and while they do have real products they sell, all I can say is that if a name like that doesn't set off warning bells, it really should. One thing I've learned in life is that the more time someone spends in telling you how "honest" they are, the less likely it is that they are honest.

As always, caveat emptor and follow the link and try the software at your own risk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Kind of a moot point anyway in this instance, since the link gives me a 404 error. Anyone else?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Umm... I believe Baldrick edited the name of the software, and the link.

Why the post wasn't simply removed, though, I don't know.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, spamalot is the best free blu-ray software player. The site will be online soon....
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to what Google displayed, spamalot.com claims to be someone's personal web page. I agree the name is not one that inspires confidence. I'm somewhat surprised that the domain name wasn't purchased by the entity that owns "Spamalot", the musical based on "Monty Python and the Holy Grail, to keep others from using it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    OK, maybe I'm a dummy, but I went to the original website (via the link in a new message notification email) and checked out the software. Absolutely nothing special and not worth a dime, imho. But why was the post edited? What am I missing? And, more importantly, did I put my system at risk?
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post
    OK, maybe I'm a dummy, but I went to the original website (via the link in a new message notification email) and checked out the software. Absolutely nothing special and not worth a dime, imho. But why was the post edited? What am I missing? And, more importantly, did I put my system at risk?
    Just a spammer. First time posters are not allowed to post links to software.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    OK, cool. I was worried there for a second.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Daplayer is already mentioned. It's crap. But I guess you are a spammer...

edit: User banned and posts removed.
    Quote Quote  
  28. My choices are:
    –> Free:
    DAPlayer 1.0.1.9
    Gom Player 2.1.43.5119
    GreenForce-Player 1.12
    Kantaris Media Player Lite 0.7.7
    KMPlayer 3.3.0.33
    MPC-Home Cinema 1.6.2.4902 x86
    PotPlayer 1.5.33948 x86
    SMPlayer 0.8.0.4316
    VLC media player 2.0.3
    Xbox Media Center 11.0
    –> Commercial:
    UFU Soft Blu-ray Player
    CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra 12.0.1905.56
    We have so broad choice to play music and videos….
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know this discussion is about free software to play Blu-Ray discs on a PC, but since it is apparently so difficult to find a software that will work satisfactorily on most people's PC, or pay up to $100 for something like Total Media Player, why not just buy a "cheap" Blu-Ray player and connect it to the HD monitor (or HDTV if used as the monitor) and avoid all the hassle?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CSULB71 View Post
    I know this discussion is about free software to play Blu-Ray discs on a PC, but since it is apparently so difficult to find a software that will work satisfactorily on most people's PC, or pay up to $100 for something like Total Media Player, why not just buy a "cheap" Blu-Ray player and connect it to the HD monitor (or HDTV if used as the monitor) and avoid all the hassle?
    Not all standalone players are multi-region - at least with a software player you can make it region free, use non-HDCP monitors, play around with all kinds of video settings, etc. In short, it;s a matter of control (for me at least).
    Quote Quote