VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have HP 2007W 20" monitor with a standard 15 pin analog and advanced DVI D digital interfaces. How can I use this monitor as a tv by connecting it to a 3250 Explorer digital cable box (from Time Warner cable company) that has S-video and Coaxial interfaces, directly and without using a pc?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. If the cable box has HDMI out you may be able to use an HDMI->DVI cable. You'll have to configure the cable box to NOT send audio via HDMI and use the RCA or digital audio outputs to appropriate speakers or receiver.

Otherwise use an s-video or composite to VGA scan converter:
    http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-COMP2VGA-Console-Monitor-Converter/dp/B00006B8EI/

Edit:

The 3250HD Explorer appears to have a DVI output. Try using a plain DVI cable to connect the cable box to the monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Other than a computer equipped with a TV card, the only other option for using S-video out with your monitor is an S-video to VGA converter, but I can't say whether it will provide a satisfactory result. Here is a page with an example http://www.svideo.com/video2vga.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What market is your TW cable? I am in San Diego, and mine has HDMI, so I got an hdmi to DVI converter (this one, exactly) and it works great.

I got the 22" monitor at a recent fry's sale for $100, and connected the cable box to an old set of Altec Lansing 5.1 pc speakers, then connected that to the cable box's switched outlet. This was to replace a shitty standard mono 13" tv. The HD shows up fantastically.
    Quote Quote