VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having some problems trying to create a splash screen for my dvd. I am using flash and i am trying to play the movie through a button. How can I do this? I tried using the fscommand("exec", "video_ts/video_ts.ifo"), but that is not working. The logic behind it doesn't make sense since on the actually dvd i have a menu running but i was running out of other options.

Do i have to make a copy of the video in a .rm or wmv format to put on the dvd to play
    How's My English?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand what you are trying to do.

Is this something to just open on a PC ? If so you need to add an Autorun.inf file that runs a standalone player or executable from the root of the DVD disc. I would suggest Media Player Classic or MPC HC as they are self contained executables that have the required codecs built-in.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. And if you want to make this video play first on the DVD, you don't make it as RM or WMV but as a little DVD which can be made to play first, before the menu or anything else, using PGCEdit to make it the First-Play.

And as guns1inger says, so far you're not making a whole lot of sense. How about more information about what you're trying to accomplish. Is this solely for computer playback, or for playback on a standalone DVD player?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok let me clarify myself. I have a welcome screen that i did in flash, that is i made a projector out of my swf file so that in my autorun.inf script when the cd loads it will load the welcome screen. On the welcome screen there is play the movie and a gallery. The gallery i have done however i can not get the welcome screen to play the movie. now all of my data will be in a data folder. I tried the fscommand("exec","video_ts/video_ts.ifo") to open up a default dvd player that would start playing the movie, but that is not working. Is there a way in flash that i can open this movie from the welcome screen to play it.
    How's My English?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can get the welcome screen to open a player with the movie, perhaps. That is why I suggested Media Player Classic. I have only seen this type of behaviour before in discs that packaged a player as well as the movie.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wan2no
    ... I tried the fscommand("exec","video_ts/video_ts.ifo") ...
    This relies on the target computer having a file association set up for IFO files (which may not exist). If you want to (maybe) lock yourself into XP machines only (haven't got Vista to check) try this:

fscommand("exec","dvdplay.exe") or else fscommand("open","dvdplay.exe")

It's a standard program with XP...though you still might have issues with multiple DVD drives in one machine

Trevor
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All that launches is Windows Media Player, which won't play DVDs anyway unless you already have a better DVD player or all the right codecs installed.

http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-67258.html discusses calling MPC from a commandline. I still think this is your most foolproof option, as it doesn't rely on the playing PC to have anything set up.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    first of all, i know it may be a stupid question but dvdplay.exe only works when a dvd with the video_ts is in. I was trying to test it with the folder on my c drive and it was not working. I have xp.

secondly if i use MPC. How would i load that program from flash and still load the dvd with the fscommand
    How's My English?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try something like this

Code:
     fscommand("exec", "./data/mplayerc.exe ./video_ts/video_ts.ifo /play /fullscreen")
    This assumes you have create a folder called data and put the media player classic executable in it
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried that nothing is happing. Question, would this only work if i already have movie on a dvd or can it be tested on a local hard drive? I am testing it on a local hard drive. I have in flash the text "PLAY MOVIE" as a button

Code:
    on(release)
    {
    fscommand("exec", "./data/mplayerc.exe ./video_ts/video_ts.ifo /play /fullscreen");
    }
    and nothing is working when i test it.[/code]
    How's My English?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have to solve the flash side of it. All I can tell you is that you can control MPC from the commandline. You will have to work out how to make it happen in your instance.

Personally, I don't see the point to what you are doing anyway. DVDs allow for a first play item and have menus. Why do you need flash ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to put a photo gallery on the dvd, the movie as well as a link to a website that i did
    How's My English?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if it can be done alot easier than this then I am all ears.
    How's My English?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't play the DVD from the flash interface, or learn how to program flash to do it correctly.

Did you read the link I posted above on Media Player Classic and the commandline ?

Have you posted in any Flash programming forums to see if this has been done by anyone else before ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i read your post. i am beginning to. I just started here first since it pertained to video.

however, thanks alot. the coding works up to running the mpc.exe. from what i read that the fscommand argument with the execute command only takes filenames. So it did run mpc but it didn't play the video. but thanks tho
    How's My English?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try this

Code:
    ".data\mplayerc.exe" .\VIDEO_TS\video_ts.ifo /play /fullscreen
    I believe the slashes were backwards in your first attempt.

Worst case, but this in a .bat file, and execute the .bat file.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok cool then. i am going to try that
    How's My English?
    Quote Quote