VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i see LPCM, but not the other in ffdshow. trying to open a movie and it says cannot open .....pcm
    Quote Quote  
  2. tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know what audio format you have in that there movie file?

Use MediaInfo and/or GSpot to find out.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Do you know what audio format you have in that there movie file?

Use MediaInfo and/or GSpot to find out.

PCM

don't seem to see any codecs for that though
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What type of file is it?

I have a feeling it really is not PCM which is why I suggested you try MediaInfo or GSpot.

Did you do that? If so please post the results.

P.S.
    Read this ---> https://forum.videohelp.com/topic271697.html
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. If it truly is PCM, you can convert it to FLAC (lossless) or something else like AC3 with eac3to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LPCM implies a linear transform as opposed to log base 10 or other.

LPCM is similar to uncompressed wav, 16/12bit DV camcorder tracks or many 8bit mono digital camera tracks.

What is your source?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mediainfo says i have AVC video, and PCM audio. when I demux it with tsMuxerGUI i get one .264 vid stream, and 2 wav files, one 4G and one 673MB. I merged them together with mkvmerge, and at first i got some stuttering with the video. i then just merged the one large wav file with the .264 and the movie is playing, i don't think i'm getting 5.1 sound though. i played it through some action scenes where they surely should have been some full 5.1 action going on, but nothing came out. it's supposed to be a 6 channel audio stream. i then loaded the original iso of the movie to see what it sounded like, it contains the original PCM audio source of course, and i didn't hear anything from that either though, using the same scene. it's definitely not my system, so not sure what to think now. i tried playing the smaller wav file and it was just dialog, i'm not sure if it needs to be included in mkvmerge, or if the two need to be merged somehow before i stick them into mkvmerge.

thx,
    rlr
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PCM is mono for one stream, stereo for two and so on. As I said, it is uncompressed.

Digital camera chips mostly produce simple PCM often just 8 bit mono.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    PCM is mono for one stream, stereo for two and so on. As I said, it is uncompressed.

i don't get what you're saying, what about the two wav files?
    mediainfo says movie is 6 channel sound.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by runLoganrun

i don't get what you're saying, what about the two wav files?
    mediainfo says movie is 6 channel sound.
    I've never heard of a 6 channel wave unless it is 6 separate wavs, each a single channel. DVD allows up to 8 wav files but players only play pairs as stereo. This grouping is done during authoring.

BluRay may support 8 PCM as uncompressed 7.1 surround. Maybe somebody else knows.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM

BluRay may support 8 PCM as uncompressed 7.1 surround. Maybe somebody else knows.
    it's only after i demux w/ tsMuxerGUI that i get the 2 wav files, it must convert the original file, which mediainfo says is the PCM 6 channel stream.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by edDV

I've never heard of a 6 channel wave unless it is 6 separate wavs, each a single channel. DVD allows up to 8 wav files but players only play pairs as stereo. This grouping is done during authoring.

Yes many Blu-Ray movies have 7.1 raw PCM; you can also have 6-channel .wav (in a single track) or 6-channel mono .wav (as 6 separate tracks

@runLoganrun - I suggested this earlier, you can use eac3to to convert to flac (lossless), which is much smaller than the uncompressed PCM. Also, many more software players support flac vs. raw PCM. Another reason to use eac3to is that many blu-ray titles have gaps and overlaps that will cause sync issues, these gaps are repaired by eac3to

If your particular title has specific problems with stream detection, send a sample stream to madashi over at the doom9 forum ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125966 ), and he will usually fix it usually very quickly.

Cheers

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray

Yes many Blu-Ray movies have 7.1 raw PCM; you can also have 6-channel .wav (in a single track) or 6-channel mono .wav (as 6 separate tracks

@runLoganrun - I suggested this earlier, you can use eac3to to convert to flac (lossless), which is much smaller than the uncompressed PCM. Also, many more software players support flac vs. raw PCM. Another reason to use eac3to is that many blu-ray titles have gaps and overlaps that will cause sync issues, these gaps are repaired by eac3to

If your particular title has specific problems with stream detection, send a sample stream to madashi over at the doom9 forum ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125966 ), and he will usually fix it usually very quickly.

Cheers

actually i went and checked out the stream from the original file again. i'm re-encoding from iso's that i made with tsmuxer and imaged w/ imgburn, so i had taken out all the excess streams already. anyway i may have taken out an audio stream that i didn't want to, according to mediainfo the pcm file from the ripped BD disc iso the PCM stream is only one channel. I think there was an 640 ac3 stream on there too, i know there was something. do they sometimes use two streams for audio? or is it maybe that i should've just ripped the other stream from original disc?

thx,
    rlr
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the player only uses one active stream to play the audio. the one you wanted was probably the 6 ch. one. a single channel stream would be something like a narrative or director's comments.

6 ch. wavs are a valid bluray audio, and they can be up to 9 ch. wav.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote