VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. first off, i haven't posted anything on these forums for quite some time, so i apologize if this is a noob question or has been brought up previously.

heres the issue, i have an issue with SRT files... namely i have several files that seem to be srt files that have multiple languages inbedded within. now as i previously understood how srt files worked was that it was capable of only one language file not multiple languages?

well, when i start the video files all i see are funky gibberish?
    like this...
    Някога съществували хора на мрака,
    срещу чието изкуство никой не устоявал.
    Живееки само за битки,
    тези воини на сенките...

oh yeah i normally play my videos with media player classic and i haven't had an issue with subtitle files previously.
    heck under the "navigate" row under "subtitle" it even displays the various languages that are supposed to be there? but regardless of what language i click i see the same gibberish.

so, is there a problem with my codec pack?
    or is there a way to extract the correct language text from the orginal srt file into a new srt file? namely english

thanks in advance.

2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It just looks like a srt subtitle file with a different character encoding(like hebrew, chinese, etc). I doubt it contain several languages. OPen the srt with a text editor and check if you can find some english text.

3. thats what i thought originally but when looking at the file info for the encoding it states all the multiple languages are under .srt?! totally confused. and really this issue is only with the latest vids i have that are hd mkv rips and they all supposedly contain .srt files that have multiple subtitle languages.

in fact this menu...

sorry don't know how to take an actual snap shot of the vid in question... but as you can see the dropdown menu clearly shows english as the subtitle with several other languages below it... its just that on the video the subs that come out look like this;
    Някога съществували хора на мрака,
    срещу чието изкуство никой не устоявал

4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just BUY/RENT the blu-ray with english subtitles instead and it will work directly.