VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This guide will describe the basic steps to convert almost any video to avi xvid(for DVD Divx Players or portable players) or mp4 h264(for IpoD, PS3, Xbox 360, etc) or mkv h264(for computer playback) with optionable burned in / permanent / hardcoded subtitles using free software.

Convert
    MKV to AVI, MKV to MP4, MP4 to AVI, MP4 to AVI, WMV to AVI, WMV to MP4, AVI to MP4, MOV to MP4, MOV to AVI

Tools required:
    xvid4psp or avidemux
    mkvextractgui or ogmdemuxer
    (xvid4psp requires also ffdshow and avisynth)

Guide

Using Xvid4psp, easiest to use!
    Open your video file (be sure to install ffdshow and avisynth first)
    Open your subtitle file(extract subtitles from mkv files using mkvextracgui or ogmdemuxer)
    Under Format choose the video profile, avi, mp4, mkv etc like choose AVI Hardware for DVD Divx Player playback or MP4 IpoD, PSP, PS3, Xbox360 video profiles.
    Under Video Encoding click on the E-icon to change encoding settings, like change the output file size, under Encoding mode change to 2-pass size and set the size in MB. If you don't what size to choose use same as the source video or if you don't need a specific size change encoding mode to constant quality/quantizer mode.
    Encode.

Using avidemux
    Load your video file
    Under Video choose the video codec, for avi choose xvid and if making mp4 or mkv choose x264
    Under Video->Configure and under Encoding type change to Two Pass Video Size if you want to change the output file size. If you don't what size to choose use same as the source video or if you don't need a specific size change encoding type to constant quality/quantizer mode.
    Under Video->Filters->Subtitle add the subtitle filter and load your srt,sub,ass file. (extract subtitles from mkv files using mkvextracgui or ogmdemuxer)
    You might have to downresize the video resolution/frame size, for DVD Divx Player use a resolution under 720x576, for portable devices use the max resolution that it supports, for PS3, Xbox 360 yoú can keep HD resolution(1920x1080 or lower). Under Filters add the Resize filter and resize.
    Under audio choose mp3 for DVD Divx Player playback, aac audio for mp4.
    Set the output format, avi or mp4
    Click Save to start the encoding, save the video with the file extension like video.avi or video.mp4

Okey, no more mkv to avi,mp4 questions...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks dude, was looking for the software all day to do the MKV to AVI so that i could watch it on my Divx player.This guide is the best on the net so far. Highly recommended, good job OP.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick,

I hope you can help me with this:

I use AG Knot to burn in subtitles written in Subtitles Workshop and Subtitle Creator. Then I use Avidemux to cut short scenes and upload them to a website for my students to practice listening comprehension (this is for language courses). This generally works well, in spite of the severe degradation from the conversion to flash when uploaded. However, if the subtitles are not large enough to begin
    with, the flash degradation is such that they become hard to read. So my question is:

How can I enlarge the subtitles prior to burning?

I tried in Sub Workshop and Subtitle Creator, but it had no visible effect in the avi file produced by AG Knot.

Any idea what I should do?

Thank you very much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    *Deleted*
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid4psp ==> "Please install Microsoft Framework 3"

avidemux ==> "Error SSA : cannot read file..."

is there any simple tool to convert annoying mkv/mp4 AVC/softsub to good old avi/xvid/hardsub ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are the recommended file sizes? I'm confused with this part.
    I was wondering if there is any standard file size rules for encoding.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a mkv file with no subs. I've tried several time using your method to convert it it AVI. XviD4PSP alway skips through part of the video encoding. The process completes sucessfuly, but the resulting avi is only a few minutes. The original ia 40 min.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that's hilarious how he says "ok no more questions" and everyone just ignores it. there's gratitude for ya
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gp5384
    that's hilarious how he says "ok no more questions" and everyone just ignores it. there's gratitude for ya
    I assure you I'm am full of gratitude. I'd hope he was joking with "ok no more questions"
    Why post a guide and not be willing to answer a few questions. I could understand if the the subject had been covered with with many post or if some asked a question that hase already been answered. Also I see this is your first post in this forum. Did you spend the time to sign up, just to make an unrelated comment.

Baldrick, I appreciate your guide, keep up the good work.
    gp5384, stay ou of things that don't concern you and stop tryin' to stir up trouble.

John
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    vviii: Convert ssa to srt or install .net framework.
    anthrax: Use constant quality/quantizer encoding mode if you don't need a specific file size. Or else just use same file size as the source video.
    johnr283: Does the mkv play fine in windows media player? Or try avidemux.

gp5384: It was a joke...but I don't read my guides topic so often so I'm not that much help though.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just found out my RAM and mobo were damaged. Encoded the video using XviD4PSP on my other PC and it worked great.

Thanks,
    John
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...nvm, delete this post...
    Quote Quote  
  13. hello,
    Thanks for the tutorial. i have 2 questions though
    1) i get an error message of some sort about the video files when i try xvid4dsp, that says:
    Resize: Source image too small for this resize method
    so then itried constant quality quantizer 3.0 and still got this error
    PLATFORM
    ------------------------------
    OEMCodePage: 437
    Language: ENU
    DecimalSeparator: .
    Framework: 2.0.50727.3053
    Processors: 1
    Machine: LIVINGRO-9AD9C9
    UserName: Daddy
    SystemDrive: C:

XVID4PSP
    Version: 5.036
    Created: 10/18/2008 12:36:32 PM
    TempPath: E:\Temp
    AppPath: C:\Program Files\Winnydows\XviD4PSP5

FILES
    gwing_01-animestash.info.mp4 >
    gwing_01-animestash.info.avi

TASK
    Format: AVI Hardware
    Duration: 00:21:00:469 (30221)
    VideoDecoder: DirectShowSource
    Resolution: 0x0 > 16x16
    VCodecPreset: Custom
    VEncodingMode: Quality
    VideoCodec: h264 > XviD
    VideoBitrate: 314 > Q3.0
    Framerate: 23.976
    SourceType: PROGRESSIVE
    FieldOrder: UNKNOWN
    AudioDecoder: 0
    AEncodingPreset: MP3 CBR 128k
    AudioCodec: OGG > MP3
    AudioBitrate: 0 > 128
    Samplerate: 48000
    Channels: 2

VIDEO ENCODING
    Encoding video to: E:\Temp\0001.avi
    XviD Q3.0 16x16 23.976fps (30221 frames)
    Error:
    2)do any of these support batch encoding? I have a whole series of videos i'd just like to tell it to encode for me.[/list]
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i need help my xvid4psp is loading another audio file when i try to convert it there is no other audio file in the folder im converting trigun and its adding berserk audio to it??? wtf also its loading 2 sets of subtitles they are on top of each other? i followed this guide exactly and have converted ogm to avi before in the past and worked perfect??

**update on audio files i think i got it fixed i deleted everything in the temp file..for some reason some files were still there...still not sure why is doubling up on the subtitles..thanks (=

**update on subtitles..so like i said i followed this guide and ive done it before in the past but turns out i dont need to add the subtitles because for some reason they load with the file ? every file i encode the audio is off but ill go to another form to fix that...thanks
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is there anyway to do more than one file at a time?
    Quote Quote  
  16. i followed this guide but upon clicking ENCODE it said it was converting my 1080x1920 MKV file to a XviD 688x288 file (or something like that) and was gunna take 4 hours (Dual-Core)...

what is the best setting to keep it same quality and 1080p aspect ratio
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Following your guide with Xvid4PSP I got it to work. However, the subs aren't using the same font as the original MKV's subs. I was wondering if there is some kinda of font pack I need to download perhaps?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got a problem! Can someone tell me what I need to install of programs to convert a .mkv-file to mp4 with H264 codec and a bitrate of CBR 640kbps sound...

I've installed K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (the newest), ffdshow, Haali Media Spitter. That means I got a lot of codecs... but I still can't convert it to an mp4. I've spent all day waiting to see the result, converting the mkv to mp4 using XviD4PSP, but when two percent left, an error shows with no reason. Somehow, I've done it wrong, but what is wrong? Don't I have the correct programs... or?

Please help

In addition, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try AVIDemux. If the original MKV already has h.264 video, you can simply set Video to 'Copy,' and it won't re-encode the video. By 'a bitrate of CBR 640kbps sound,' does that mean you want to convert the audio to MP3? Odd choice of audio format for an .mp4.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the guide I've been dreaming of. Worked perfectly, without a hitch the first time! AWESOME! Thank you!!
    Quote Quote  
  21. i need help please when i encode wmv to xvid the sound comes too back please help me find i solution i try this very long( and sorry for my bad english
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I'm having problems with xvid4psp, I have version 5.

It has been working great, but now the video files I encode are without sound.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordpab

Any suggestion?

Thanks
    Do you hear the audio when you play in the preview window xvid4psp?
    It could be a directshow decoder problem. Installed any codec packs or other video tools lately?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Originally Posted by lordpab

Any suggestion?

Thanks
    Do you hear the audio when you play in the preview window xvid4psp?
    It could be a directshow decoder problem. Installed any codec packs or other video tools lately?
    No... no sound from the preview window either.
    I haven't installed anything related to video or codecs. So, should I install new codecs? I use K-lite 5.0.5, do I have to update it? or do you recommend another codecs?

Thanks

EDIT: Is working now, new codecs. Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi... Having problems again...

Using Xvid4PSP 5.037. I'm converting a file, but in the preview window the sound goes extremely fast and the video runs fine... besides, it doesn't encode, it just stays in the 1st pass and nothing...

Any suggestion?

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64b, K-lite codecs 5.4.4

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello to everyone.
    I need information about avidemux because I tryed without good results.

I have a MKV file with H264+Vorbis 48KHz and i need to burn subtitles on it without lost quality.
    First problem: i can open only MKV file, if I try to open only the video part (h264), Avidemux Crash after the MSGBOX about frame B. It crashes if I choose Yes or No at question about frame B.
    After open the MKV file I configure video as MPEG-4 AVC (x264) with two pass and subtitle as filter. Copy for audio. The result is a video with different dimensions and it is not fluid. I tryed to remove the sub but result is the same.
    Note: sub has great graphics because it is for karaoke. I cannot put them into MKV (with MKVmergegui) because the player crashes or has difficult to reproduce it. I use MPC.
    I tryed to change the configuration options for video, in the output section, to adjust the dimensions. Aspect ratio is 704:405 but nothing change.
    Note2: this is the first encode for this video, after burns the sub I need to merge another sub with MKVMergeGUI but I think this isn't a problem.

Here are the infomation about video: Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 704x480 (704:405) 23.98fps [Video]
    Audio: Vorbis 48000Hz stereo [Audio]

These are my questions:
    - Is it a problem with Avidemux? Configuration wrong?
    - Do I need a different program?
    - Can Avidemux put subs on h264 without problem?
    - Is possible to burn sub on H264 without change the format? (i don't want to lose this great quality)

If you need screenshots or other information please let me know.
    Thanks so much!!
    Bye!
    Quote Quote  
  27. I am using the second method on the page because the first one requires me to download some other windows thing.
    i have done everything in the directions. i tried both my mp4 version of the video and the avi version. i tried to put in subtitles (.srt) and it was all going well but the finished product does not have subtitles. i wanted the final video to be mp4 and when i opened the video, it was just the video and no subtitles. (additional info: I made the subtitles with Subtitle Workshop)
    Please help me.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I have subtitle encoded in UTF-8 to contains special characters such as: ș ț ă â î , the issue is that, hardsubbing it transformes the special characters in a series of even nastier ones. How can I ensure that the software uses the subtitle encoding?
    Quote Quote  
  29. HI Baldrick,

Thanks for the guide I've been able to convert a lot of my MKV's using this to play on my standalone dvd player. I do have one question though and cant seem to find a guide that will help. I tried converting a file of the following specs to AVI using xvid4psp but the resulting file wouldnt play on the DVD player although i could play it on my PC. I also converted the audio to AC3 6ch. Help Please

isom: MP4 Base Media v1 [IS0 14496-12:2003]
    - avc1: MP4 Base w/ AVC ext [ISO 14496-12:2005]

mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC
    Quote Quote  
  30. Hi Baldrick I have a problem. I'm trying to convert an MKV file to an MP4 for playback on my PSP. I can play the encoded file on my computer but the PSP won't play it (it states, 'This video cannot be played.') PSP firmware version 6.35. Here is the encode log:

Code:
    PLATFORM
    OEMCodePage: 850
    Language: ENG
    DecimalSeparator: .
    Framework: 2.0.50727.4952
    Processors: 2
    Machine: JAMES-LAPTOP
    UserName: James
    SystemDrive: C:

XVID4PSP
    Version: 5.0.37.8 rev132
    Created: 30/03/2010 08:15:38
    TempPath: C:\Temp
    AppPath: C:\Program Files (x86)\Winnydows\XviD4PSP5

FILES
    01 Spring of the Dead.mkv >
    01 Spring of the Dead.mp4

TASK
    Format: MP4 PSP AVC
    Duration: 00:24:01:942 (34572)
    VideoDecoder: DirectShowSource
    Resolution: 848x480 > 480x272
    VCodecPreset: Custom
    VEncodingMode: Quality
    VideoCodec: h264 > x264
    VideoBitrate: 1540 > Q23.0
    Framerate: 23.976
    SourceType: PROGRESSIVE
    FieldOrder: UNKNOWN
    AudioDecoder: bassAudioSource
    AEncodingPreset: AAC-LC ABR 128k
    AudioCodec: AAC
    AudioBitrate: 0 > 128
    Samplerate: 48000
    Channels: 2
    Normalize: 100%
    Accurate: 10%
    Gain: 4.779

SCRIPT
    import("C:\Program Files (x86)\Winnydows\XviD4PSP5\dlls\AviSynth\functions\AudioFunctions.avs")
    import("C:\Program Files (x86)\Winnydows\XviD4PSP5\dlls\AviSynth\functions\VideoFunctions.avs")
    loadplugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\Winnydows\XviD4PSP5\dlls\AviSynth\plugins\bass\bassAudio.dll")
    loadplugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\Winnydows\XviD4PSP5\dlls\AviSynth\plugins\VSFilter.dll")

video = DirectShowSource("C:\Users\James\Videos\Anime\Highschool of the Dead\01 Spring of the Dead.mkv", audio=false, fps=23.976, convertfps=true)
    audio = bassAudioSource("C:\Temp\0000_0.aac")
    AudioDub(video, audio)

AmplifydB(4.779)
    ConvertToYV12()
    Lanczos4Resize(480, 272)
    TextSub("C:\Users\James\Videos\Anime\Highschool of the Dead\01 Spring of the Dead_Track3.ass")

VIDEO ENCODING
    Encoding video to: C:\Temp\0002.264
    x264 Q23.0 480x272 23.976fps (34572 frames)

x264.exe: --crf 23.0 --level 2.1 --trellis 2 --partitions p8x8,b8x8 --no-8x8dct --sar 1:1 --output "C:\Temp\0002.264" "C:\Temp\0002.avs"

avs [info]: 480x272p 1:1 @ 2500000/104271 fps (cfr)
    x264 [info]: using SAR=1/1
    x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast FastShuffle SSEMisalign LZCNT
    x264 [info]: profile Main, level 2.1

x264 [info]: frame I:361   Avg QP:20.63  size: 17011
    x264 [info]: frame P:16743 Avg QP:24.42  size:  3337
    x264 [info]: frame B:17468 Avg QP:28.89  size:   349
    x264 [info]: consecutive B-frames: 19.6% 33.9%  9.6% 37.0%
    x264 [info]: mb I  I16..4: 18.1%  0.0% 81.9%
    x264 [info]: mb P  I16..4:  5.2%  0.0%  0.0%  P16..4: 35.5% 16.7% 10.2%  0.0%  0.0%    skip:32.5%
    x264 [info]: mb B  I16..4:  0.1%  0.0%  0.0%  B16..8: 25.7%  0.8%  0.9%  direct: 1.3%  skip:71.1%  L0:38.9% L1:55.7% BI: 5.4%
    x264 [info]: coded y,uvDC,uvAC intra: 56.0% 57.4% 28.0% inter: 13.1% 10.9% 1.4%
    x264 [info]: i16 v,h,dc,p: 29% 27% 20% 24%
    x264 [info]: i4 v,h,dc,ddl,ddr,vr,hd,vl,hu: 23% 22% 14%  7%  6%  6%  7%  6%  7%
    x264 [info]: Weighted P-Frames: Y:3.0%
    x264 [info]: ref P L0: 61.5% 13.6% 15.6%  8.6%  0.7%
    x264 [info]: ref B L0: 85.5% 12.5%  2.0%
    x264 [info]: ref B L1: 94.6%  5.4%
    x264 [info]: kb/s:377.92

x264 [total]: encoded 34572 frames, 33.43 fps, 377.92 kb/s

AUDIO ENCODING
    Encoding audio to: C:\Temp\0002.m4a
    AAC 128kbps 2ch 16bit 48000khz

neroAacEnc.exe: -ignorelength -br 128000 -lc -if - -of "C:\Temp\0002.m4a"

This log was saved here: H:\VIDEO\01 Spring of the Dead.mp4.encoding.log

MUXING
    Video file: C:\Temp\0002.264
    Audio file: C:\Temp\0002.m4a
    Muxing to: H:\VIDEO\01 Spring of the Dead.mp4

MP4Box.exe: -fps 23.976  -add "C:\Temp\0002.264" -add "C:\Temp\0002.m4a" -new "H:\VIDEO\01 Spring of the Dead.mp4" -tmp "C:\Temp"

Thanks for any help,
    James
    Quote Quote