VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, I've posted on the official apple help forums as well as another forum and haven't received one answer to this question.

What I'm trying to do is take a .mkv video file where the subtitles track is independent from the video and use that subtitles track to become permanently imprinted onto the video track, to use in a different video format such as .avi or other types.

what do I need to accomplish this?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ViddyUp, ffmpefX, probably others (and other folks will surely make suggestions; be patient). When you transcode, these apps will accept a ".srt" subtitle file and render it into the video during transcoding.

Some of the other apps might accept a .sub file (although I don't know of any).

I'm sure we'll see other answers soon.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for this exact same thing. I am having a hell of a time trying to mux subtitles into my rip (Kill Bill Vol 1) and have a player actually view it. Encoding the actual subtitle file from the blu-ray (a .sup file) would be great, since then it would have colours and italics and solve the problem of the player viewing it. For a movie like this that I would never watch without subtitles, its the best solution.

If anyone has solutions to getting a player to actually view the subtitles (windows media center ideally), please feel free to post that as well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rumplestiltskin's suggestion is the best: Burn the subs permanently into the video. Support for separate subtitle files is not universal among formats, so to assure playability, burning them into the image is the best method. So, unless you know for certain that your particular setup (hardware + software) handles separate video and subs, hard-coding them is the way to go. Yes, it takes time, but given the state of video -- lots of standards, lots of platforms, and no universal way of doing things -- your options are limited.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, what would you say is the best program to extract the .SRT from the .MKV file?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One option is the Mac port of MKVtoolnix: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix

I'm sure that there are others, but that's what I've used, because it's been ported to multiple platforms. Give that a shot and see if it does the job for you. If not, post back; I'm sure that there are many forum members who could offer alternative suggestions.

Edit: I see that ffooky beat me to the punch by a couple of minutes. MKVtools shares a development branch with MKVtoolnix, I believe. The latter is freeware, the former is shareware (I think). Both should work, but if not, at least you've got a couple of option.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An ideal situation, at least for me, would be to take the .SUP files from the blu-ray and get them embedded into the video, since they have all the italics and colours and all that jazz so it would look just like the original. The next best solution is burning subs of your own font onto the image, which is totally fine for any movie where you would never not want subtitles (foreign language movies).

My problem so far has been getting a program that can write the subtitles onto my x264 video. Seems there is lots out there to use for xvid, but not so much for x264.

I can [s:5ef429e390]get[/s:5ef429e390] create the SRT file using suprip and OCR, anyone know how to get the subs burned into the picture? I use megui, so if the tools are embedded into that, even better, if no no worries.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Viddyup will burn the .srt file into your video. As long as QuickTime can open the video (and, with Perian or Flip4Mac, it can open virtually anything), Viddyup will permit you to load the .srt file and permit you to preview the result.

It just works.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not on a Mac. Got anything else?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're not on the Mac, you'd probably be more likely to get useful responses by posting this somewhere other than the Mac forum.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Never noticed this was the mac forum.. Damn those macs :P
    Quote Quote