VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let's just state the situation:

- I have a Panasonic 42 inch Plasma HDTV, model TH-42PX75U
    - I'm pretty sure its a 720p, right?

Now with that in mind, a couple days ago, I recently bought a new XBOX 360 for myself. It came with the Component AV cable and I've already tried it with my HDTV, which already is giving me HD picture, but I'm considering changing to HDMI cable.

I've been looking over the internet of whether of not HDMI or Component AV cable is better, and all I've found are topics about HDTVs with 1080p and how HDMI works best for that type of HDTV.

So question: Since I have a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma with 720p, which is better, HDMI or Component, to connect my XBOX 360? And is there a really big difference in picture quality?

I'm curious because it seems everybody's talking about 1080p for HDMI, and I'm wondering if I use HDMI cable with my 720p HDTV, it would give much of a difference vs. my component AV cable.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! And sorry if this has been mentioned numerous times![/u]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Specs for the TH-42PX75U show panel native resolution of 1024x768.

Most XBox360 programs are written to 1280x720p or less. I've heard a few go higher but rendering out at 1920x1080 is going to cut frame rates.

So for your TV it appears 1280x720p output is the best match. Your TV will hardware rescale to 1024x768 for display.

As for analog component vs. HDMI there should be little difference. Avoidance of D/A then A/D may provide some advantage for image crispness but you need to try it and decide if it is worth the extra cost.

If you already have an XBox360 with HDMI out, just borrow an HDMI cable. Online they cost less than $10.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. I agree with edDV, you aren't likely to see much difference between component and HDMI on that TV.
    Quote Quote