VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know there is a way to save YouTube videos to your computer, but I've only been able to do that on my PC, which doesn't have a DVD burner. So of course I need to use my Mac (powerbook g4).

How does one go about saving those video files and then putting them on a DVD. I only have iDVD, can that be used? If not are there any free software for which one can use to burn DVD's.

Thanks in advance.
    I'm a SPAMMER
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you are going to keep them in the same format, you can just burn them as a data disc, but you would only be able to play them back on a computer. If you want to create a regular DVD that will play on any set top player, then you will need to convert them to MPEG and author them to the DVD format. (Unless you have a Divx set top player, then you would need to convert them to Xvid or Divx format)

If they are in FLV or similar formats, you could try SUPER on your PC, convert to MPEG, then transfer them to your Mac and author and burn them there.

Sizzle is a freeware Mac authoring tool. A few other freeware Mac video tools are here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/macos-video-tools
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To save YouTube videos, you have a few alternatives. KeepVid (keepvid.com) and a few other sites like it, are non-browser-specific, and can allow you to save either the low-quality FLV version of the video or a slightly higher-quality MP4 version, if it exists for the YouTube video you're looking at.

Firefox has a handful of extensions you can use to capture videos, but I'm not sure how well all of them work under OS X, or if all of them work with FF3. Opera has a few widgets for video grabbing, and for Safari, you can use the Activity window trick, I believe. (I don't normally use Safari, so I can't help much in that regard.)

However, keep in mind that the browser extensions/widgets/tricks only usually work for grabbing the video that you're looking at, so if you want YouTube's 'higher-quality' version videos, you have to be viewing them, first.

And, even at 'high quality,' YouTube videos may still look mediocre when scaled up to DVD resolutions and authored to a DVD. But if you don't mind that, then there are a few free apps you can use to burn - though I don't know if any of them encode and author for you. If you're still interested in searching for them, macupdate.com and versiontracker.com would be a good place to start (I don't do authoring/burning with my Mac at the moment, either. Sorry about that. )
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your guide.
    Quote Quote