VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, when I record with fraps (2.9.4 registered), the audio and video get out of sync more, the farther I get into the movie.
    For example, 30 seconds into the movie it's about 1/2 second off; 1 Minute into the movie it's about a second off (the audio comes before the video).
    I've searched extensively, and haven't found any solution. I did, however, read from somewhere this is caused by Media Player not being able to handle the large video sizes, but other than that I can't find any more information on it.

I was recording at 30 FPS, half size.

This problem occurs in all games.

System specs:
    Intel Q6600 oc'd to 3.0 GHz
    8800 GT
    4 GB of ram
    ~150 gb of space to record to

What can I do to fix this problem?

-Thanks for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try upgrade to latest fraps 2.9.6.
    Try play the fraps video with something else like VLC Media Player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did both of those things, and that didn't fix the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll be getting either a GTX 260 (hopefully) or a 9800GT ($85 with rebate and a coupon code; good deal).
    I'm building a new comp for my dad and I'm trading him my 8800 GT, so everybody wins.

I'll have to be patient and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, he dosen't wanna buy till January, so
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any fix for this yet?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Try a lower frame rate and smaller frame size. For example, run the game at 800x600, capture with fraps at 400x300, 15 fps. If that's OK try 30 fps. If that's OK try increasing the resolution (game and fraps) until you start having sync problems.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm assuming you have "No sync" disabled right? Your computer specs are pretty good so I don't see why you have problems.

You want to see it's recorded file or the player that's out of sync. If you move to another part of the video, it should sync back up. If it doesn't sync then it's a problem recording with Fraps. If it does sync then it's a problem with your player being slow. You might want to try MPC, http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/, or Zoom Player Standard too. Playback is CPU bound and the Fraps codec isn't the best codec for playback. Syncing problems with the player isn't a problem after you encode the video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, you can't really play anything on >30 fps.
    No Sync is disabled.
    I loaded it into Windows Movie Maker, and the audio was shorter than the video. What program will just let me stretch the audio out and manually synchronize it?
    Quote Quote  
  10. You haven't said what resolution you're running at. Only that you're saving at 1/2 size (I assume both dimensions). If you are running a big monitor at 2560x1600 you'll never get 30 fps out of fraps.

Audacity can stretch or squish the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a similar problem. The audio is slightly delayed. It doesn't matter what resolution or fps I choose, it always happens (and I have a pretty fast computer). It's definitely a bug of the program.

I found that you can (try to) fix it using Vegas, like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuAz-1qSudc&fmt=18
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had this same problem (audio slowly went out of sync) but found a way to fix it. I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy card.

I simply went to the sound card's settings page (control panel / device control), and changed the output audio quality sampling rate from 48 KHz to 44.1 KHz. That's it, audio now stays in sync when recording with FRAPS, no need to re-sync afterwards. The audio quality may be a bit lower, but the difference shouldn't be too big. The only options for my card are 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz and 96 KHz. I've tested with them all but sadly, only 44.1 KHz works without audio sync problems when recording with FRAPS.

I guess this might vary depending on the recorded application. I tested with 2 different games which both initially had out-of-sync audio. Changing the sampling rate to 44.1 KHz fixed them both.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by doomed
    I have a similar problem. The audio is slightly delayed. It doesn't matter what resolution or fps I choose, it always happens (and I have a pretty fast computer). It's definitely a bug of the program.
    I think it depends on the version of FRAPS you're using.
    Newer versions not always mean improved performance.

Uxmai
    wrote:
    I had this same problem (audio slowly went out of sync) but found a way to fix it. I'm using a Sound Blaster Audigy card.

I simply went to the sound card's settings page (control panel / device control), and changed the output audio quality sampling rate from 48 KHz to 44.1 KHz. That's it, audio now stays in sync when recording with FRAPS, no need to re-sync afterwards. The audio quality may be a bit lower, but the difference shouldn't be too big. The only options for my card are 44.1 KHz, 48 KHz and 96 KHz. I've tested with them all but sadly, only 44.1 KHz works without audio sync problems when recording with FRAPS.

I guess this might vary depending on the recorded application. I tested with 2 different games which both initially had out-of-sync audio. Changing the sampling rate to 44.1 KHz fixed them both.
    Thanks for the info. Another very good reason to avoid SoundBastard Fraudigy cards
    by all means necessary.

\\\\\
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Elo,

I tried that 48000 kHz to 44,1 and it actually solved my problem!

I had problems with frapsing of both WoW and GTA4.. the sound wasn't synced one bit.. and my computer should be good enough to fraps with great quality:

AMD x2 64 6000+
    4gb PC6400 Corsair (2 x 20048mb)
    Gigabyte GA MA770-DS3 Rev. 2.0.
    ATI HD4850 512mb
    1270gb of disk space (500+320+250+200)

I'm using the built-in soundcard and NIC to avoid unnecessary hardware..

After the settings for the sound card was changed, I tried to fraps GTA4 (usually runs in 20-25 fps when not frapsing), and it worked like a charm.. sound and video was well synced.. thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  15. yes I've exactly same problem as yours, audio go faster than the video, out of sync slowly the longer video plays

still no solution for this?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, Luckily, I Think i got the solution, it worked for me.
    I Was recording some minecraft junk, and played the UNCONVERTED Video, the sound was "Lagging" as mentioned above, Once i coverted it with "HAMSTER Converter" the sound was perfect. I Convert them so they can be lower size, but they still remain nice quality, i usually upload them to YouTube.
    Hope this fixed your problem, Tootles.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi!

Me and my friend had the same problem.

I have intel core i7 870 CPU, i disabled Hyper Threading Technology in the BIOS and thats solved the out of sync problem.
    My friend have AMD X4 CPU and this not helped for him. He changed the sampling rate from 48kHz to 44.1 kHz. The video and audio not out of sync anymore.

I think everyone who have CPU with Hyper Threading Technology, and have the same problem, need to disable this function; with AMD CPU you need to change sampling rate to 44.1 kHz.

Sorry for my english, hope it will helps
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Darkreaver View Post
    Hi!

Me and my friend had the same problem.

I have intel core i7 870 CPU, i disabled Hyper Threading Technology in the BIOS and thats solved the out of sync problem.
    My friend have AMD X4 CPU and this not helped for him. He changed the sampling rate from 48kHz to 44.1 kHz. The video and audio not out of sync anymore.

I think everyone who have CPU with Hyper Threading Technology, and have the same problem, need to disable this function; with AMD CPU you need to change sampling rate to 44.1 kHz.

Sorry for my english, hope it will helps
    will try disabling HT, im using i7 920

but disabling it my game performance may drop alot, such as Bad Company 2
    Quote Quote  
  19. Sorry for the bad information i given !

Not the Hyperthreading is the problem in my case. The problem is a software ( ASUS EPU) which is controls the voltage for the best performance/energy saving. When i disable Hyper T. function, EPU not affected to the system because it needed to recalibrate, that's why i thought the Hyper Threading is the problem.
    This program not send the changes to windows, and that's why FRAPS desync. In my case i had to change mode to "high performance", that's the BIOS' default settings and the record was synced well. But if i change to another mode desync happened.

I wrote a mail to FRAPS team and they fixed it.
    download the new version

IF ANYONE HAVE SIMILAR PROGRAM TO ASUS EPU AND HAVE SYNC PROBLEM, TRY TO DISABLE THAT PROGRAM IF THE SYNC IS NOT CORRECT !
    Quote Quote  
  20. I got EPU running, but it always on High Performance during FRAPS recording,

the problem still persist, do I have to completely disable/closed it?

hmm
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by squall0833 View Post
    I got EPU running, but it always on High Performance during FRAPS recording,

the problem still persist, do I have to completely disable/closed it?

hmm
    "during FRAPS recording " ? dont you use Auto mode ? If you use the mode then change to High Performance mode. If this not help than try to uninstall EPU. If the desync not solved, that means you have different problems.
    Quote Quote  
  22. i didnt' use auto mode,
    I just tried completely uninstall EPU (not using it anyway)

now fraps recording looks good, seems like it's fixed

I'll try record more long videos, will report back

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by squall0833 View Post
    i didnt' use auto mode,
    I just tried completely uninstall EPU (not using it anyway)

now fraps recording looks good, seems like it's fixed

I'll try record more long videos, will report back

thanks
    okay, download FRAPS 3.2.9 the team fixed this problem. Now, any mode can you use in EPU
    Quote Quote  
  24. Here's an easy fix for this type of situations.

Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GJbDgfGV_XA
    Quote Quote