VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi,

i'm trying to burn a dvd with multiple subtitle tracks. i know how to do it with one, because there are directions for this here: http://ffmpegx.com/dvd_sub.html but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it with two. i want to be able to select french and english subtitles on the dvd once it's burned.

can anyone help? thank you!

p.s. there is help in here for extracting multiple subtitles, but not for burning them....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i rephrased the question~ bump?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not aware of any Mac program capable of doing so, except for DVD Studio Pro, which may be a bit above hobbyist level ($$).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Awww....

Thanks for the input Case, I appreciate it! At least I don't have to wonder. Maybe someone else will have heard of a way but it looks like you've been here awhile so.....

Ah, well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ffmpegX uses the command line Unix executable "dvdauthor", which may be capable of doing much more than ffmpegX uses from it. But I have never tried to use that module directly in the Terminal, nor read the documentation.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the long delayed response, Case!

So, if ffmpegx writers haven't deciphered further uses for that command I am pretty confident that I will not get anywhere with it! I don't think I've ever even used Terminal!! I'm afraid of sacrificing my computer to my inexperience and curiosity.

Maybe you or someone else with better techie skills will have better luck, though, if the curiosity sparks you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wildgeese
    If ffmpegx writers haven't deciphered further uses for that command ...
    I don't think the author of ffmpegX wanted to put every dvdauthor function into ffmpegX. Just a basic one-subtitle could have seem enough to him. And for most people, one subtitle is enough.

Originally Posted by wildgeese
    ... [then] I am pretty confident that I will not get anywhere with it! I don't think I've ever even used Terminal!! I'm afraid of sacrificing my computer to my inexperience and curiosity.
    The Terminal is not to be feared. The most common result of bad syntax in the Terminal is that it doesn't do anything, because the command wasn't understood. Using the Terminal usually requires reading extra documentation, as there is no graphical user interface to guide a user through the necessary steps. Command line users must have a curiosity and willingness to learn, as opposed to some point-and-click users that do not have an interest in how it all works underneath (not referring to anyone in particular).
    Pretty much all command line applications have a syntax like:
    Code:
    program_name -option1 value1 -option2 value2 etc.
    where the options are defined by each program, and explained in the documentation. If you've used two such programs, then others are so similar that they become easy.
    Quote Quote