VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    ...does it have to be imported into the Zune client software a certain way? My sister just bought an 8GB Zune, and we've tried converting videos for it with Free Zune Video Converter, among others. The problem is, it only seems to inconsistently allow only some of the videos we've converted - such as only 80 percent of a set of episodes converted from Camstudio-captured SWF web-episodes. And it doesn't seem to want to accept any full TV episode/movie conversions. Is there a limit on the size of videos it can take? Or are we doing something else wrong? I'd think at the least Free Zune Video Converter would throw up a warning if the Zune wouldn't like the resulting converted video...

Not sure I like the Zune client software, anyway... it just reminds me of a rather stripped and watered-down version of Media Center, that's all. (Well, and I'm not sure I care as much for the gray-tone color schemes.) I was expecting it to look more like Media Player.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I know you have to use the zune software to synch it.

For video it has to be 320x240 wmv for it to NOT reencode the video.

It can import mp4 video but it will be reencoded to wmv. I think it should get 320x180 for widescreen. But point is it has to be wmv for non reencoding.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    As far as I know you have to use the zune software to synch it.
    Yeah... too early for 'alternative' software, anyway (unless Winamp's in_pmp can handle the Zune... hmm.)

Originally Posted by yoda313
    For video it has to be 320x240 wmv for it to NOT reencode the video.

It can import mp4 video but it will be reencoded to wmv. I think it should get 320x180 for widescreen. But point is it has to be wmv for non reencoding.
    Yeah, but we already re-encoded everything to WMV using Free Zune Video Converter (and others, including SUPER - but most using FZVC). It's just that the Zune or the software doesn't seem to want to accept/sync some of the videos, much less import/re-encode them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you upgraded to zune 3.0 software?

There shouldn't be any restrictions on file size or length on the zune. However it is only an 8gb model. I'm assuming you haven't filled up already right? I have a 30gb and i still have 9gb free.

There are other programs including transcode 360 and encode 360 that would be worth trying.

One that I use that is payware is Corel Dvd Copy 6. Works well for me.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    3.1, actually. No, we haven't filled it up, yet. Far from it. (Well, we can't get some of the items to sync, so... :P )

I've been running a couple of searches, and while Winamp doesn't seem to support the Zune, yet, there's some experimental app called 'zAlternator' that supposedly allows other programs (including Media Player, iTunes, etc.) to see the Zune as a generic PMP device. But not all of the comments about it are favorable.
    Quote Quote