VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello:

Yes, I've posted three questions in about as many minutes as a new member here. Hey, I'm hungry for knowledge!

I'm really, really new to this stuff. I'm capturing VHS videos through the Canopus ADVC 110 and a Firewire card to Windows XP Pro SP3. What format is best to capture in? I've read DV-AVI is, but in Windows Movie Maker the audio is really sounding bad, like the bit rate is wrong or something. It gets this low-grade metallic distortion.

I've been going for MPEG2 in ArcSoft Showbiz, but then I read that might not be the best, although my video will have to go do that format inevitably to make it on a DVD, right?

Thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DV encoding takes place in the ADVC box, as it would in a DV camera. If you are getting distorted audio then it is most likely your output levels from the VHS player are too high. Ignoring Movie Maker for the moment (or indefinitely, if possible), what do the videos sound like when you play them back with something like VLC ?

Bottom line is that you should get this problem sorted if you want to do any editing with your files. DV is designed for editing, and works well. Mpeg-2, WMV etc are not designed for editing. They degrade quickly if re-encoded, and work with fewer tools.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm loving this forum already! I downloaded the VLC player you recommended, and the DV-AVI sounds fine! For some reason it just sounds weird in Movie Maker. Actually it sounds fine in Windows Media Player, too, and I thought I'd checked that already. Maybe not.

This *may* also prove to be the answer about why I'm getting audio noise around my transitions in ArcSoft Showbiz; after I export the video there's a static noise around the wipes and slides, but that may be because I captured and edited in MPEG.

One more question for you: are AVI and DV-AVI the same thing? It seems like they must be different, but when I save and play them back they both register as just AVI.

Internet forums are the greatest invention ever. What did we do before these things were invented?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    avi is the container
    I suggest spending the time and reading the glossary on the left menu
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just to add, you don't really 'capture' DV from a Canopus box or a DV camcorder, it's just a data transfer. The main object is to get it on your computer hard drive, then you can do what you want with it. I use WinDV for that as it's simple.

Then do your editing in DV format. I use VirtualDub, then frameserve that directly to a MPEG encoder. That way you don't end up with a edited file taking up hard drive space. You can also use WMM to edit, and save it again in DV format, then encode to MPEG. I like the filter options in VD, though.

If you want to make modifications on the transferred video 'on the fly', try the Enosoft DV Processor. And if you need a DV output codec, try the Cedocida DV Codec. It's good for saving edited DV, if you need that option.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Then do your editing in DV format. I use VirtualDub, then frameserve that directly to a MPEG encoder. That way you don't end up with a edited file taking up hard drive space. You can also use WMM to edit, and save it again in DV format, then encode to MPEG.
    I downloaded a couple of these things you're talking about, but how are they going to be different than capturing "DV-AVI" in Windows Movie Maker or Ulead and encoding them to MPEG in Roxio? I'll take any extra tools I can get, but just asking.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Should be no different than using WMM or any other program that can transfer DV to the computer. I just find VD to have more options and be more flexible than WMM.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Dude, I'm gonna put it to you this way.

You're using a beer can and some tin foil, which you might have paid for, and you can get $80.00 worth of pyrex for free.

Virtualdub, as mentioned, an essential program.

WinDV or DV-avi to capture. You want to capture, AND edit, in the original format of the Canopus box. I hope you have a seperate D: drive with more space on it.

HCenc or QuEnc for Mpg encoding. Many others that will surpass ArcSoft.

GuiforDVDAuthor. Compliant, full-featured.

Always check file results with more than one tool, some lie. VLC excellent for this, Vdub as well.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, I thought there must be a reason I needed this stuff instead of the retail! So this should be higher-quality video? I've downloaded it all. And yes, I do have a D: drive and an external...although I'm thinking I might need a little more!

Last night I put in the Ulead VideoStudio 9.0 SE that came with my $40 Firewire card. I didn't expect much, but this program made my week! It does everything I need, and was fairly easy to figure out without a manual.

But I'm going to give these other programs a spin now. I guess I better get ready to gain 5 lbs. because I don't see myself leaving this chair for a long time!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Canopus Smoker
    Ah, I thought there must be a reason I needed this stuff instead of the retail! So this should be higher-quality video? I've downloaded it all. And yes, I do have a D: drive and an external...although I'm thinking I might need a little more!

Last night I put in the Ulead VideoStudio 9.0 SE that came with my $40 Firewire card. I didn't expect much, but this program made my week! It does everything I need, and was fairly easy to figure out without a manual.

But I'm going to give these other programs a spin now. I guess I better get ready to gain 5 lbs. because I don't see myself leaving this chair for a long time!
    ULead video studio needs proper project settings for best result. If you use it for capture be sure to capture to DV, not MPeg2. Or capture with WinDV and then import the file to Video Studio.

Set Video Studio project settings to DV format. That allows editing and filtering in higher quality DV format prior to encoding for DVD. Next, proceed to DVD Encoding-Authoring or just "share" encode to DVD MPeg2 for use in another DVD Authoring program.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    with a hardware purchase, that VS 9 SE you're using is sometimes included free, is several years old, and comes with disabled features...surprised they're still including it but maybe it's the only SE version udead still has
    if you like it, you may consider buying the latest full-featured v11.5+ on ebay for around $35...
    Quote Quote