VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I just bought a pc on Ebay. It's the Dell GX520 model, which will finally replace my old pc that can barely run Win XP.

I thought I might as well go for it all and get a dvd burner too. The pc doesn't come with dvd compatibility so I have to buy and install one. The problem is, I am having trouble finding any sites that tells me which models of burners are compatible with the Dell GX520.

Does anyone know of any sites that'll list compatibility? Or does anyone know of any dvdburner models that is definitely compatible with the dell model that I purchased?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can buy any DVD Burner and install it in any brand computer. You just need to know what interface burner to buy - either PATA or SATA. Check the Dell web site for that model and see what the specs are.

EDIT:

Thanks wtsinnc - I stand corrected - you can use either SATA or PATA drives .
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't say much in the manual of what type of dvd burner is in there. Here's a link showing a picture of inside of the computer case. It sure looks like it's a PATA dvd burner/dvd-rom.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/optix_gx520?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Definitely Sata only
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From the link that wtsinnc provided:

Controllers

Drives

four serial ATA controllers supporting one device each and one parallel Ultra ATA/100 IDE supporting two devices per channel with one channel

Mini Tower = 4 SATA, 1 PATA
    Desktop = 2 SATA, 1 PATA
    Small Form Factor = 1 SATA, 1 PATA
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does it actually tell you what type of dvd burner is installed on it? I don't see any of that in the manual. Read closely because even it shows SATA controllers it doesn't mean anything since there is one Ultra ATA/100 IDE channel. Look at that pic in the link I posted. That drive sure looks like it has a IDE RIBBON CABLE & MOLEX POWER. If it was SATA that would not show a IDE CABLE & MOLEX POWER connection.

The best way is to for the OP to open up that DELL pc he got off ebay and look at the DVD drive.
    Just my 2 cents!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alternatively you could go with an external USB box with a DVD burner inside.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    budz: My posting is from the Computer Specs page in the manuals that are provided in wtsinnc's link. The Hard Drive will be on 1 SATA channel in any of the 3 form factors - therefore, the Small Form Factor unit will only be able to use a PATA Burner. The other form factors will have both SATA and PATA channels available to use for Optical Drives.

The picture in your link does indeed show a PATA Ribbon Cable, but that does not change the fact that you can use either format - the Drive that was originally installed by Dell was most likely a PATA Drive.

Now - as to preferences of which interface to use, I will leave that up to the original poster to make that decision based on the recommendation of others

Quote from the OP "The pc doesn't come with dvd compatibility so I have to buy and install one".

If it has a CD Drive, then he can either replace it , or add the DVD Burner if there is room in the case.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone. I am still waiting for the computer to arrive. I'll open it up and see once it arrives.

The computer is only 17 inches tall according to the specs, so I think I'm gonna have to replace the cd drive. Probably no room for both.

Please excuse my ignorance. Does PATA and SATA refer to the way the burner connects to the computer?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LWC
    Please excuse my ignorance. Does PATA and SATA refer to the way the burner connects to the computer?
    Yes. If it already has a CD Drive, then it is most likely PATA with a wide 40 pin ribbon cable. The easiest solution would be to get a PATA DVD Burner and just swap out the Drives.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Number Six
    budz: My posting is from the Computer Specs page in the manuals that are provided in wtsinnc's link. The Hard Drive will be on 1 SATA channel in any of the 3 form factors - therefore, the Small Form Factor unit will only be able to use a PATA Burner. The other form factors will have both SATA and PATA channels available to use for Optical Drives.

The picture in your link does indeed show a PATA Ribbon Cable, but that does not change the fact that you can use either format - the Drive that was originally installed by Dell was most likely a PATA Drive.

Now - as to preferences of which interface to use, I will leave that up to the original poster to make that decision based on the recommendation of others

Quote from the OP "The pc doesn't come with dvd compatibility so I have to buy and install one".

If it has a CD Drive, then he can either replace it , or add the DVD Burner if there is room in the case.
    I can read..... I know the computer can use either PATA or SATA. I merely posted that link so it could show what I found....BTW just because a mobo has SATA controllers it doesn't necessarily mean a SATA DVD burner (OPTICAL DRIVE) will work correctly. It would depend on the SATA chipset controller of the mobo. INTEL ICH 7/8/9/10 will work with SATA Dvd burners and NVIDIA when using the latest NVIDIA chipset drivers. But the VIA chipset will not work with SATA DVD burners so one would have to use a SATA PCI CONTROLLER card with the SILICON IMAGE 3112/3114/3512 chipset. Also older motherboards that have SATA controllers were made only for hard drives and not optical drives. Just my 2 cents!

To LWC: If your computer is compatible with using a SATA DVD Burner then my suggestion would be to get the PIONEER 216D drive. If it's not then you can get a SATA PCI CONTROLLER card or just buy a PATA DVD burner like the PIONEER 116D or the PIONEER 115 drive. PIONEER's website is still selling the PIONEER 115 but the drive is silver in color. It's $34.99 with 1 cent shipping. I've many of them for myself and for some builds that I've done recently.

PIONEER 115, SILVER, $34.99 with 1 cent shipping
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/Blu-rayDisc+DVD/Blu-...5D+Silver.Kuro

SATA PIONEER 216, $30.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129032

SATA LG GH20NS15, $22.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136149
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks budz - very good info about SATA . I do not have any experience with SATA - I only have 1 motherboard that has SATA connections, but I do not use them - that is why I am staying neutral on the choice .

I also did not mean any offense - I originally thought that the unit will only accept an SATA drive, but the documentation listed both interfaces. Bjs also thought the same. I did see the ribbon cable in your post, as well as in the documentation under the Drives section of the manual.

LWC wanted to know what will be compatible with the computer that he bought - so I was trying to give all the relevant information.

EDIT:

I just noticed something in the documentation - the Small Form Factor model uses a LAPTOP OPTICAL DRIVE !
    If that is the model computer that you bought, then it is a whole different ball game.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Budz, thanks for your suggestion. Once I receive the computer and confirm that it's pata, I'll get the pioneer 116d model.

In your experience, which brand of DVD-r works best with the Pioneer burners? I see some nice deals for Maxell and Memorex brands on ebay, which has a 10% discount until Sunday.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Removed.
    THREADKILLER !
    References on File.
    Quote Quote