VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking for a DVD recorder can record digital TV program with digital closed caption.

Which one should I choose?

I found these model on best buy

Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK
    DMR-EZ28K
    Sony RDRVX560
    RDRGX360
    RDRVXD655
    Toshiba DR410
    D-VR610
    SAMSUNG DVDVR375
    DVDV9800
    LG RC897T

I saw some post said that any machine from Panasonic will record digital cc. However, I can't find it mentioned on the manual from Panasonic's website. So I post this here. Just to make sure.

And I would like to know Can they play caption on the downloaded xvid file on the internet?

Can it be cheaper? Do you buy it on internet?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And my tv is the old one. I use digital box.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using a video tape to record the TV program. I can only record one channel because I use digital TV box. The recorder is inside the
    tv. It can show caption on the tape. Ha ha I just find out my tv can record programm.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think there is a way for DVD recorders with ATSC tuners to record actual digital closed captions, even when they can display them if used for watching TV, instead of using a coupon eligible converter box.

The reason is that only analog closed captions are covered by the DVD specifications. These specifications allow for only two closed caption fields (though I have only ever seen C1 in my own recordings). A DVD's closed caption data is also sent to the TV via the VBI, and can be seen using the TV's closed caption feature, just like closed captions from an analog channel.

I believe DVD recorders with ATSC tuners that record closed captions from digital channels are still capturing analog closed captions. Both analog closed captions and digital closed captions are included in the specification for ATSC digital broadcasts. There's a little bit of analog remaining in ATSC digital signals because at least part of the old analog VBI is still transmitted to provide analog closed captions, and possibly some other things as well. Digital closed captions are sent by another means, one that I don't believe could be replicated by playing back a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm Deaf too so this topic interests me. In theory any dvd recorder should record captions but may not play them back. It depends on the connection you're using, I read that interlaced shows captions but progressive does not. Is this true? e.g. 480i =caption 480p = no captions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    I'm Deaf too so this topic interests me. In theory any dvd recorder should record captions but may not play them back. It depends on the connection you're using, I read that interlaced shows captions but progressive does not. Is this true? e.g. 480i =caption 480p = no captions.
    Yes it's true. Progressive output removes the VBI along with interlacing. Some connections won't allow the VBI to be sent either.

From what I have heard, some older DVD recorders apparently did not record the closed caption data from the VBI to begin with, although most did.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wabjxo
    The Mag 2160 has a menu item for turning digital CC RECORDING on. The Philips 3576 from which the 2160 was made doesn't have a digital CC RECORDING option, just a display option for customizing the text.
    Are they available only from recordings on the HDD or can they be played back from a recorded DVD? How are they played back? Via the TV's digital closed caption setings? Via the TV's analog closed caption settings? Via the DVD recorder's digital closed caption settings?

I guess I have a lot of questions about the implimentation of this feature.

[Edit] Never mind. I took a peek at the pdf for the user manual. It says the digital closed captions are recorded as permanent part of the image itself, like a hard sub. They can't be turned off once recorded, if for any reason someone doesn't want to see them.

If that is what the OP wants (essentially a permanently visible subtitle), then the Magnavox 2160 will record digital closed captions. From the user manual, it looks like it may also record analog closed captions, to be displayed via the TV's analog closed caption settings. However, I don't think it will play xvid or divx files.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went through your list.

Just in case you don't know, the Sony RDRVX560, Sony RDRGX360, Toshiba DR410, Toshiba DVR610, and SAMSUNG DVDVR375 are tunerless, They must be connected to an external tuner of some sort, such as your digital box, and will only record the channel it is tuned to, just like your current VCR.

The SAMSUNG DVDV9800 only plays DVDs and VHS tapes. It does not record.

The LG RC897T does not record digital closed captions in DVD mode.

The Sony RDRVXD655 does not record digital closed captions and does not play xvid or divx.

Among the models in your list, the Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK and DMR-EZ28K are the only ones not excluded.

I looked at the pdf manuals at: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMREZ28-MUL.PDF and
    http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMREZ48V-MUL.PDF

I'm guessing they probably only display digital closed captions when the DVD recorder is used for watching TV, since those can't be displayed during chasing playback. However, from what I saw, they may record analog closed captions from digital broadcasts, since the manuals say they won't display if progressive output is used. They play divX files, but I don't know enough about the format to tell you what you want to know about xvid subtitles

I guess your best options are one of the Panasonic models or the Magnavox 2160, although neither does everything you want. The Magnavox has an HDD, which you will probably enjoy using to record anything that runs more than a couple of hours. That might make up for not playing xvid.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your information.

Magnavox seems to be a good choice since it's manual clearly say it can record digital closed caption. I am thinking about if there is discount on thanksgiving. I need to get on a train for one hour to go to walmart and test the machine there. And I don't know if the Walt mart has that model. It is really a big trouble to me.

The panasonic DMRZ28 sold nearby me is only 229 dollars.

My TV shows analog closed caption before when I do not have digital box. The caption is all the codes I can't read. Although the digital closed caption is slow and sometime miss too. It if very good in general.

I also like to view srt or vob caption on xvid disc I made,but this is not very important to me.

Yesterday I find out my box will turn off itself, so it is impossible to timer record.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the machine should have good digital tuner too. And I really don't like analog closed caption.

Anyone have their own experience?(good or bad) Is there any cheaper one in the market?

I really don't know how the machine without tuner record TV programm because timer record require choose channel beforehand.

I don't understand how to record analog closed captions from digital broadcasts. In my point of view, if the system recieve digital signal the caption is digital closed caption, if the syetem recieve analog signal the caption is analog closed caption. They are entirly two diffierent things and can't be mixed.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jason2008
    Magnavox seems to be a good choice since it's manual clearly say it can record digital closed caption. I am thinking about if there is discount on thanksgiving. I need to get on a train for one hour to go to walmart and test the machine there. And I don't know if the Walt mart has that model. It is really a big trouble to me.

The panasonic DMRZ28 sold nearby me is only 229 dollars.
    You can't buy the Magnavox at the brick-and-mortar stores. It can only be ordered from Wal*Mart online. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10104532 You can have it shipped to the store if you want. Shipping to a store is free, but considering you must go by train, you might still prefer to have it sent to your home.

The Magnavox has received more favorable reviews than the Panasonic. Perhaps it is worth the extra money. It's up to you to to decide if that is true.

My TV shows analog closed caption before when I do not have digital box. The caption is all the codes I can't read. Although the digital closed caption is slow and sometime miss too. It if very good in general.
    Digital closed captions can only be recorded as permanent part of the picture. Since you are deaf, and probably watch TV with the closed captions turned on nearly all of the time, that may not be a problem.

I am a hearing person who sometimes uses closed captions, but not often. I prefer to be able to turn them off when they aren't needed so I can see more of the picture. I'll want a DVD recorder that records analog closed captions from a digital signal when I replace the one I have now.

Yesterday I find out my box will turn off itself, so it is impossible to timer record.
    Two converter boxes have timers. The DTVPal and the Zinwell ZAT-970A. The Zinwell is the better of the two, but must be purchased online. Some boxes can be set to stay on longer than four hours. Read your user manual to see if yours allows that.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really don't know how the machine without tuner record TV programm because timer record require choose channel beforehand.
    Tunerless DVD recorders are good for people who have cable service that requires a set top box, or who have satellite service. They could also be used with some digital converter boxes.

If a tunerless recorder is equipped with an IR blaster, it turns on the box and changes the channel on the box to the one selected when programming the recorder's timer.

If a tunerless recorder does not have an IR blaster, the recorder is programmed for the line input and time, and the box has to be programmed for channels and times, (Some boxes have timer settings so they can be used with a recording device.)

I don't understand how to record analog closed captions from digital broadcasts. In my point of view, if the system recieve digital signal the caption is digital closed caption, if the syetem recieve analog signal the caption is analog closed caption. They are entirly two diffierent things and can't be mixed.
    As I said before there is a small amount of analog content in the ATSC digital signal, mainly to provide analog closed captions. Yes it's surprising, but it is true.

I originally read about this in a FAQ sheet at ATSC.org, but those pages appear to have been removed. If you are satisfied with a quote from Wikipedia, it says this: "For ATSC (digital television) programming, three streams are encoded in the video: two are backward compatible Line 21 captions, and the third is a set of up to 63 additional caption streams encoded in EIA-708 format." The Line 21 captions are analog. The captions encoded in EIA-708 format are the digital closed captions.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not deaf. I just want to see the caption. My box can turn on all the time. I found Philip DVDR3545V/37 and Magnavox zv 457MG9 on the shop.
    I really like thanksgiving shopping, so probably I will choose panasonic.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I also read that hdmi won't send the caption signal along.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    I also read that hdmi won't send the caption signal along.
    Every manual I have read says analog/Line 21 closed captions are not available when HDMI is used to connect to a TV. It does make sense, since from what the manuals say, HDMI only allows 1080p, 1080i, 720p, and 480p. All these formats are progressive except 1080i. That also means that when watching upconverted DVDs, subtitles need to be used instead of closed captions.

Digital closed captions are a different story, since the DVD player/recorder decodes them and adds them to the picture.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Ahh thanks guys. I couldn't get captioning to work with the Magnavox MDR51H I'd bought from Wally's World (aka Walmart).

I switched from HDMI output, to component and I have captioning goodness. Records and plays back the analogue captioning!

Wayno
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Magnavox will record digital CCs, but not how you probably want them. If you select the recorder to record the CCs, it will hard code them into the video, so they will always be there. They will NOT be TV selectable.

All this is referring to the use of the integrated ATSC tuner in the Magnavox - I no longer have any analog channels in my area.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  20. Yeah I did that with my old recorder. ( Can you say: It's dead Jim!") Hard coded the digital captioning. So it works on TV's that don't have captioning decoder. It also works if you upload the video with digital captioning to youtube. Since the captioning is hard coded into the video stream, the captioning appears appears on youtube, which is what I want.

Wayno
    Quote Quote  
  21. Yeah I did that with my old recorder. ( Can you say: It's dead Jim!") Hard coded the digital captioning. So it works on TV's that don't have captioning decoder. It also works if you upload the video with digital captioning to youtube. Since the captioning is hard coded into the video stream, the captioning appears appears on youtube, which is what I want.

Wayno
    Quote Quote