VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am puzzled.
    I am editing two or three documents - with black and white images - in Microsoft WORD.

Then the computer just shuts down. Why? I have 1.75 gig of memory.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is always a reason, it just may not be obvious.

We need more info - what else is running, how long is the computer on before it shuts down, any error messages, does it reboot or just shut off completely, etc.
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I will observe what happens when the PC shuts down , then report back.

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It happened again!

The compter had been running 2 minutes.

What was I doing when my PC shut down? I had Microsoft WORD up. Two files were open. Each file was large with 15 photos and 15 pages of words. All in black and white - no color. I was copying photos and pasting one at a time from one file to the other.

I had no other program (or hardware, printer, other external hard drive) up and running.

I computer shuts down then comes back up on its own.

Hard drive 750 gig
    RAM 1.75 gig
    Processor Pentuim IV 3 gig speed
    high end video card .5 gig memory
    high end sound card

Help!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bryankendall
    I am puzzled.
    I am editing two or three documents - with black and white images - in Microsoft WORD.

Then the computer just shuts down. Why? I have 1.75 gig of memory.
    the answer is twofold, with the first part being very easy: your pc is rebooting because you have it set up to restart on system failure, go to control panel > system > advanced > startup and recovery > settings, look for the section that says system failure and uncheck the box next to automatically restart.

that will take care of the rebooting, then look through the system log and post what it says.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK - a few more things that need to be known:

1. Did this problem just start, or were there issues before?
    2. Did you install any new programs or hardware?
    3. Is your virus protection up to date, and did you run a full scan? I do not think that this is the issue though.
    4. Does the computer suddenly shut down when you move or shake the Control Box? If so, then check for a loose power connection to the CPU Box and the Electrical outlet, including any power strips in between the Box and the Electrical outlet.
    5. Is the air coming out of the power supply fan VERY hot? Then you have a defective or overheating power supply.
    6. Does the CPU fan spin, or is it clogged with dust? The CPU could be overheating and shutting down.
    7. Possible memory failure - one stick of RAM could be defective. You could remove the RAM and re-seat it, or install one stick at a time and use the computer - if it works properly, then swap sticks and repeat the process until all the sticks are tested.
    8. You could try a System Restore back to a few days ago - before the problem started.
    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own" - the Prisoner
    (NO MAN IS JUST A NUMBER)
    be seeing you ( RIP Patrick McGoohan )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Had a similar problem, turned out that is was a corrupt normal.dot file(normal.dotm in Word 2007) which is a global template file.
    This file can usually be found in: c:\Documents and Settings\(put user name here)\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal.dot(m).
    Close Word, search for the file and rename it. Open Word and it will create an new normal.dot(m) file.
    If this was the problem Word will now be happy.
    Andrew Jackson: "It's a poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the above fails to resolve it, perhaps you should check the power supply.
    Quote Quote